Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2022, 12:46 PM

1,604 posts, read 1,835,300 times

Advertisements

Your building is similar to Gotham Point. Gotham Point is 75% affordable & 25% is MR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by popartist View Post
Not 100% but my building is 80% affordable, including all the studios. It has been great living here, very attentive maintenance and staff and good amenities. Neighbors are pretty good overall, occasionally an issue with someone playing music too loud, but otherwise management quick to reign in any issues with a tenant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2022, 01:54 PM

233 posts, read 289,510 times
Hey! My partner lives in an 100% affordable building veryyyy similar to the one at 27 Eagle in Greenpoint. The difference, however, is that when they moved in, the AMI supported lower income (I think even down as low as 40% AMI?)

I’m not sure where the loophole is, but now when a unit in their building vacates, the new occupants no longer fit into those old AMI brackets. (The last 2 apartments that became vacant were listed on the apartment management’s website at between 80%-100% AMI).

The building doesn’t have on-site services for supportive housing but it does seem as though a few tenants were referrals who likely are receiving services off-premises. One time the next door neighbor (who struggles with mental illness) was really wasted and had his pants down in the hallway and it was really messed up. That being said (and this is my unpopular opinion) I’m sincerely glad he’s in a studio in the building rather than on the street. Even though it was pretty freaky, I do believe housing is a human right and he deserves a home, even if it is in the building I frequent. Also, I’ve only ever seen him do something truly upsetting that one time and it wasn’t *aimed* at me… didn’t have anything to do with me… (I spend a lot of time at my partner’s place and feel like since I only had one bad encounter with him that I shouldn’t assume this is something that is going to happen again)

There are some tenants who blast music and are loud, but I think that’s standard in NYC for middle-income apartments, and for the most part, the building is just filled with a ton of families. It is an absolute melting pot and I think that is healthy and I also strongly believe that segregated buildings are messed up.

The building used to have a super who was amazing! The building was spotless, everything was in working order, it was really lovely. He ended up leaving about a year ago and since then the building has become much dirtier, the elevators haven’t received their safety checks by technicians (scary) and can be really disgusting; the laundry room is a nightmare. (All of the washers are broken except one). That leaves 1 washer for about 90-100ish units. The super is a nice guy but he straight up does not care. He also manages multiple buildings and is just spread too thin.

All that being said, my partner never intends on moving. Greenpoint is cool and fun and the apartment layout is really nice. It can be a royal pain in the butt for them to get their appliances serviced/ things fixed, etc, but these units were nice to begin with so it is rare that anything needs fixing.

Their aren’t any lighting fixtures in the bedrooms and living room which scares me a bit (feels like a fire hazard), but otherwise the units are nice. They have in wall AC but the units work well and in the winter the heat is solid. (Although sometimes they leave the heat on too long into the spring).

There’s a little exercise room which is cute but I’m not allowed to use it because I don’t live there (which is totally understandable). I have been told by my partner that some of the equipment is broken sometimes, though.

Feel free to ask any other questions! Not sure what else to mention at the moment…

Old 08-05-2022, 02:30 PM

2,314 posts, read 1,148,785 times
NYCHA 2.0 by design.

Old 08-05-2022, 02:32 PM

2,862 posts, read 2,394,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Posthomealone View Post
Hey! My partner lives in an 100% affordable building veryyyy similar to the one at 27 Eagle in Greenpoint. The difference, however, is that when they moved in, the AMI supported lower income (I think even down as low as 40% AMI?)

I’m not sure where the loophole is, but now when a unit in their building vacates, the new occupants no longer fit into those old AMI brackets. (The last 2 apartments that became vacant were listed on the apartment management’s website at between 80%-100% AMI).

The building doesn’t have on-site services for supportive housing but it does seem as though a few tenants were referrals who likely are receiving services off-premises. One time the next door neighbor (who struggles with mental illness) was really wasted and had his pants down in the hallway and it was really messed up. That being said (and this is my unpopular opinion) I’m sincerely glad he’s in a studio in the building rather than on the street. Even though it was pretty freaky, I do believe housing is a human right and he deserves a home, even if it is in the building I frequent. Also, I’ve only ever seen him do something truly upsetting that one time and it wasn’t *aimed* at me… didn’t have anything to do with me… (I spend a lot of time at my partner’s place and feel like since I only had one bad encounter with him that I shouldn’t assume this is something that is going to happen again)

There are some tenants who blast music and are loud, but I think that’s standard in NYC for middle-income apartments, and for the most part, the building is just filled with a ton of families. It is an absolute melting pot and I think that is healthy and I also strongly believe that segregated buildings are messed up.

The building used to have a super who was amazing! The building was spotless, everything was in working order, it was really lovely. He ended up leaving about a year ago and since then the building has become much dirtier, the elevators haven’t received their safety checks by technicians (scary) and can be really disgusting; the laundry room is a nightmare. (All of the washers are broken except one). That leaves 1 washer for about 90-100ish units. The super is a nice guy but he straight up does not care. He also manages multiple buildings and is just spread too thin.

All that being said, my partner never intends on moving. Greenpoint is cool and fun and the apartment layout is really nice. It can be a royal pain in the butt for them to get their appliances serviced/ things fixed, etc, but these units were nice to begin with so it is rare that anything needs fixing.

Their aren’t any lighting fixtures in the bedrooms and living room which scares me a bit (feels like a fire hazard), but otherwise the units are nice. They have in wall AC but the units work well and in the winter the heat is solid. (Although sometimes they leave the heat on too long into the spring).

There’s a little exercise room which is cute but I’m not allowed to use it because I don’t live there (which is totally understandable). I have been told by my partner that some of the equipment is broken sometimes, though.

Feel free to ask any other questions! Not sure what else to mention at the moment…
Thank you, this was helpful

Old 08-05-2022, 04:27 PM

3,132 posts, read 2,724,468 times
The problem with all-affordable buildings is that they tend to be managed by the non-profits, and that can get really half-assed really fast. There's no pressure to keep the property and services up because they think no one will ever leave. And piling everybody with the exact same types of problems on top of each other isn't great, either. That's why I think a truly mixed building is best. Mine is 50/50, and the management conducts itself like it's trying to attract people with high standards and $$$ to pay for them, because it is. We affordables benefit from that, and in turn the building has an actual normal human demographic with stable tenants instead of being all 24-year-olds living 4 to a 2-bedroom while working on Wall Street.

But it's hardly inevitable that an all-affordable building will be a mess.

Old 08-07-2022, 04:26 AM

125 posts, read 135,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by someoneinqueens View Post
Having roommates tends to be risky, this is the reason why I've never had any roommates because I don't know that person & even if that person is my friend, we may become not friends anymore after living together because of differences etc.

I'd rather live in a studio &/or in the area/neighborhood that's far away from Manhattan but safe but not many people want to live there because it's far so the rent is cheaper, I can afford the rent & live by myself. I did that & I've never been happier!
I only have roommates because it’s too expensive to get my own place with market rate rent, That’s why I’m so grateful that I’m currently in process with a housing connect apartment now and praying to god I get it because this is literally the only way I’ll be able to live comfortably in NYC.

Old 08-07-2022, 07:42 AM

1,604 posts, read 1,835,300 times
I hear ya! Which building is this? I wish you good luck in the process!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nycgirl91 View Post
I only have roommates because it’s too expensive to get my own place with market rate rent, That’s why I’m so grateful that I’m currently in process with a housing connect apartment now and praying to god I get it because this is literally the only way I’ll be able to live comfortably in NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
View detailed profiles of: