Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2022, 09:55 PM

3 posts, read 1,545 times

Advertisements

so I recently moved in to HPD new housing apartment. we are like 4 family members . me and my bro and my parents. and on the application i am the head of household and my father is considered elder with disabilities, who hpd also gave the apartment for especially for disability people.

my question is about our old apartment. our old apartment lease expired last july , when we moved out to new hpd apartment. but our old apartment have erap rent money is still there until 2023 march . the owner gave us a credit . now that old apartment is empty , the owner dont wanna give money back from erap , he said keep the apartment and leave it as it is . the whole apartment is broken and even kitchen room ceiling fell. the owener wont fix it because he saying that we left from there and why he would spend money to fix it. he saying until erap money is gone till march 2023 we have to give the key back so than he can fix and rent it to someone else. he already tried to take old apartment back and fix it and rent higher to someone else. its like he was about to took our erap money plus rent again to somebody else. thats why i didnt give him the key back. i dont want him making double money by our erap credit until 2023.

so the question comes down to this, if we fight in court that , my parents want that old apartment back because we still have erap rent there until 2023 . so we left leaving the old apartment empty owner to fix it . but the owner wont fix it . cuz we have new apartment and moved out.

will HPD evict me if my parents go back to their old apartment with a new lease under them only. because of them i got extra room like say 3 bedroom and my father disibilities in the new HPD housing lottery . if my parents leave than i would still have my brother living with me . in the HPD LEASING papers my parents name as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2022, 12:14 AM

31,927 posts, read 27,017,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angel103 View Post
so I recently moved in to HPD new housing apartment. we are like 4 family members . me and my bro and my parents. and on the application i am the head of household and my father is considered elder with disabilities, who hpd also gave the apartment for especially for disability people.

my question is about our old apartment. our old apartment lease expired last july , when we moved out to new hpd apartment. but our old apartment have erap rent money is still there until 2023 march . the owner gave us a credit . now that old apartment is empty , the owner dont wanna give money back from erap , he said keep the apartment and leave it as it is . the whole apartment is broken and even kitchen room ceiling fell. the owener wont fix it because he saying that we left from there and why he would spend money to fix it. he saying until erap money is gone till march 2023 we have to give the key back so than he can fix and rent it to someone else. he already tried to take old apartment back and fix it and rent higher to someone else. its like he was about to took our erap money plus rent again to somebody else. thats why i didnt give him the key back. i dont want him making double money by our erap credit until 2023.

so the question comes down to this, if we fight in court that , my parents want that old apartment back because we still have erap rent there until 2023 . so we left leaving the old apartment empty owner to fix it . but the owner wont fix it . cuz we have new apartment and moved out.

will HPD evict me if my parents go back to their old apartment with a new lease under them only. because of them i got extra room like say 3 bedroom and my father disibilities in the new HPD housing lottery . if my parents leave than i would still have my brother living with me . in the HPD LEASING papers my parents name as well.
Don't know what sort of game you're trying to run, but it isn't going to work.

Emergency Rental Assistance (EARP) was meant to pay LL up to 12 months arrears rent owing, and in some cases up to three months of future rent for total of 15.

Once you moved out of your previous apartment all rights and obligations ended. The LL does not have to let you or your family members move back in as moving out terminated lease. In order to move back into said apartment a new lease agreement would have to be drawn up.

How many months of past rent did you owe at time of moving out of old apartment? It seems odd that your and your LL are stating rent is paid until March 2023 when you moved out in July 2022.

If LL received payments for months after you moved out (lease ended) he likely will have to return those excess funds. He cannot keep rent money paid for months you are or were not living in that apartment because moved elsewhere.

As for rest of your query *ALL* names on lease are responsible for rent and everything else connected with that HPD apartment. Even if you or anyone else moves out could legally still be hauled into court for anything including non payment of rent. So if your parents don't pay rent on new HPD apartment, LL will sue every single one of you in housing court. That you are living elsewhere won't matter. Only way to prevent this is to have name removed from lease. That usually involves drawing up a new lease reflecting just those who will be living in unit/responsible for paying rent.

Another thing, you were given that HPD apartment for use as primary residence, thus you cannot move back to your former apartment and claim that is now your primary residence (you cannot have two). this could put the HPD unit in jeopardy.

Also since *YOU* are head of household what do you think HPD is going to do when they find out you've moved out? Who is going to pay rent on apartment where your father lives? Also as you say size of unit was determined by four of you moving into HPD apartment, and you received special treatment due to your father's disability.

Again don't know what sort of game you and that LL are trying to run, but it's not going down tonight. One or both of you are going to be sat down and asked to explain a few things.

Old 08-08-2022, 01:49 AM

53 posts, read 46,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post

Emergency Rental Assistance (EARP) was meant to pay LL up to 12 months arrears rent owing, and in some cases up to three months of future rent for total of 15.

Once you moved out of your previous apartment all rights and obligations ended. The LL does not have to let you or your family members move back in as moving out terminated lease. In order to move back into said apartment a new lease agreement would have to be drawn up.

How many months of past rent did you owe at time of moving out of old apartment? It seems odd that your and your LL are stating rent is paid until March 2023 when you moved out in July 2022.

If LL received payments for months after you moved out (lease ended) he likely will have to return those excess funds. He cannot keep rent money paid for months you are or were not living in that apartment because moved elsewhere.

As for rest of your query *ALL* names on lease are responsible for rent and everything else connected with that HPD apartment. Even if you or anyone else moves out could legally still be hauled into court for anything including non payment of rent. So if your parents don't pay rent on new HPD apartment, LL will sue every single one of you in housing court. That you are living elsewhere won't matter. Only way to prevent this is to have name removed from lease. That usually involves drawing up a new lease reflecting just those who will be living in unit/responsible for paying rent.

Another thing, you were given that HPD apartment for use as primary residence, thus you cannot move back to your former apartment and claim that is now your primary residence (you cannot have two). this could put the HPD unit in jeopardy.

Also since *YOU* are head of household what do you think HPD is going to do when they find out you've moved out? Who is going to pay rent on apartment where your father lives? Also as you say size of unit was determined by four of you moving into HPD apartment, and you received special treatment due to your father's disability.

Again don't know what sort of game you and that LL are trying to run, but it's not going down tonight. One or both of you are going to be sat down and asked to explain a few things.
I believe he said, he wants to stay in the lottery apartment with his brother and his parents would move back into the old apartment. I'm sure his father collects a disability check, that he pays rent with. But yeah, I'm confused about everything else. He should just inform the city what the landlord is doing. Not sure why he would want his parents moving back, if the old apartment is falling apart. I would not want my disabled parent, living in bad conditions. I would rather let the landlord have that money and report him

Old 08-08-2022, 12:58 PM

hi the money landlord recived is from erap in december 2021 . total about 15 months so until march 2023 is the rent credit is given to us from owner from january 2022 to march 2023. then suddenly we got new HPD HOUSING LOTTERY AND GOT THE APARTMENT IN SOME TIME MAY AND WE TOOK ABOUT A MONTHT TO MOVE FROM OLD APARTMENT TO NEW ONE IN JULY 30. SO THAN OWENER TRY TO TAKE THE APARTMENT BACK BY GIVING OUR SECURITY DEPOSIT BACK AND LEASE ENDING PAPERS. I REFUSED BECAUSE I ASKED FOR ERAP MONEY EITHER GIVE IT TO US OR GIVE THE CITY MONEY BACK, HE SAID FORGET ABOUT THE ERAP MONEY, THAT MONEY IS GONE. SO HE TRIED TAKE THE APARTMENT BACK AND RENOVATE IT AND THEN RE RENTAL IT TO 955 TO 1200 TO SOMEONE ELSE. WE SAID THATS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. U TAKING OUR FUND FROM CITY AND NOW RIPPING US BOTH CITY AND MY PARENTS. HE WONT FIX THE BROKEN APARTMENT EITHER .

AND FOR YOUR INFORMATION - OF COURSE I AM GONNA PAY THE NEW HPD BUILDING RENT. THAT CANT BE MISSED , WE LIVED IN OUR OLD APARTMENT FOR 15 YEARS IN BROKEN CONDITION , NO PAINT , NO RENOVATION, THE OWNER WAS **** . WE DONT WANNA LOST THE HPD LUXARY BUILDING. WE JUST DONT WANNA GIVE THIS GUY A OPPORTUNITES TAKE AWAY WITH OUR MONEY AND CITIES . HE NEVR GIVE US PEACEFUL NICE CONDITION TO LIVE. I WISH YOU CAN SEE THE APARTMENT IT WAS LIKE ONE OF THE FULLY BROKEN HOUSE LIKE UPSTATE ABANDONNED BUFFALO HOUSES.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post

Old 08-08-2022, 12:59 PM

Youre right , i want so staY there , just dont wanna let this landlord to ger away with this money is paid till march 2023 as a credit . I made a report to city and next i am going to tell erap what he did with erap and how wrong he is doing .
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildoneb View Post
i believe he said, he wants to stay in the lottery apartment with his brother and his parents would move back into the old apartment. I'm sure his father collects a disability check, that he pays rent with. But yeah, i'm confused about everything else. He should just inform the city what the landlord is doing. Not sure why he would want his parents moving back, if the old apartment is falling apart. I would not want my disabled parent, living in bad conditions. I would rather let the landlord have that money and report him

Last edited by angel103; 08-08-2022 at 01:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
View detailed profiles of: