Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2022, 03:11 PM

71 posts, read 64,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nylkoorb View Post
How do you add your housing composition and salary to the old Mitchell Lama, I don’t see it as an option. How are they verifying people meet the application requirements?
After the log number is out, they will contact people who has low log number, then you submit for documents. I turned down an apartment (in Harlem) in 2019. (My log number was 4xx) when I was going through divorce because it's too far away from where we live. We live in Park Slope and my daughter goes to PS.321
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2022, 03:50 PM

2,007 posts, read 1,626,371 times
Default APPLY FOR 1 Bedroom NOW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker2022 View Post
Thank you. Yes I did it after not signing in to the link they gave me on the email that they provided temporary password. I click again on the link of this thread and finally apply for the 2 bedrooms. However it said not fewer from 3 person, but a parent and a child (I'm a divorced Mom, so just me and my daughter) not sure if I'm qualified? I do need two bedrooms for both of us. Do I need to apply for a one bed room just in case? but I actually don't need a one bed room. I do need two bedrooms.
Your present need for 2 bedrooms does not impact the wait involved to get a unit. By the time you get called for review for a vacancy you might be an empty nester, or not. Apply for both 1 b, and 2 b lotteries and see what log# you get. You will get no log# for each, a log# for each lottery, or a log# for one and not the other. If you get log#s for each you have to toss one out.

The Copy Paste below is from the notice. I don’t think it is mistake or typo. I have seen Mitchell-Lama buildings that require two people for a One Bedroom, and others like this one that require three people for a Two Bedroom. So, maybe you qualify. But entering both lotteries increases you chance for an excellent housing opportunity. You might not get a log# for the 2 bed at all, but get one for the 1 bed. If you are really lucky you will get log#s for each and then get to decide which one to cancel.

If the website allows you to apply to both 1b and 2b lotteries then do it. It will likely be years before your number is called. At that time your household composition might have changed. Your child might be in college, it could be that many years. Or, if it is fewer years you might have added another person to your household.

Don’t decide you don’t want a one bedroom until after you have seen it, AND it is near to being offered to you. Today, seeing the one bedroom unit is not the same as seeing the one bedroom unit in the year 2032.

OCCUPANCY STANDARDS:
ONE (1) BEDROOM: One (1) to three (3) persons.
TWO (2) BEDROOM: Three to Five persons. No fewer than three persons, a brother and a sister who are both adults, OR a parent or guardian with at least one child.
THREE (3) BEDROOM: No fewer than five (5) persons, OR parent(s) or guardian(s) with two children of the opposite sex, OR a household of three adults with one child where at least one adult is the parent or guardian of such child, OR a household of one parent or guardian and his or her three children.”

Last edited by WildAboutHarry; 09-26-2022 at 04:28 PM..

Old 12-23-2022, 02:20 PM

5 posts, read 4,770 times
just got a letter saying that my name was selected in the lottery (and containing the rental application). anyone else? lottery number is 3xx...good? bad? am i in for a long long wait for vacancies? i logged into my Mitchell Lama account and under project status it said "tenant selection in progress" -- does anyone know what this means? so many questions, sorry!

Old 12-23-2022, 02:51 PM

166 posts, read 174,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmaserafina View Post
just got a letter saying that my name was selected in the lottery (and containing the rental application). anyone else? lottery number is 3xx...good? bad? am i in for a long long wait for vacancies? i logged into my Mitchell Lama account and under project status it said "tenant selection in progress" -- does anyone know what this means? so many questions, sorry!
I have a 2 digit log & didn’t receive a letter yet… this is interesting

Old 12-23-2022, 04:19 PM

2,007 posts, read 1,626,371 times
Default 1, 2, or 3 bedroom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmaserafina View Post
If I had a 3xx lottery number I would feel very lucky because likely tens of thousands enter the lottery. But at the same time I would be expecting a wait of a few years at minimum. It’s all based on vacancies, it’s not a new empty building. It’s about fifty year old buildings in a desirable location suggesting that vacancies occur slowly.

Are you applying for 1, 2, or 3 bedroom?

Does your log# show on your computer screen?

If you are 399, Don’t be fooled into thinking there are 398 log# s ahead of you. That is only the maximum number of applicants ahead of you in this year’s lottery. Some will likely drop out or have dropped out already. There can be older log# ahead of you.

If it does not cost you anything, return the application. We don’t know where we will in years to come. When they call you it might be a great fit or maybe you will be living in California.

There is a Brooklyn Mitchell-Lama list that has moved 200 places this year, but it’s not a block from Central Park and the subway.
Good luck and good patience.

Old 12-24-2022, 05:06 AM

5 posts, read 4,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildAboutHarry View Post
If I had a 3xx lottery number I would feel very lucky because likely tens of thousands enter the lottery. But at the same time I would be expecting a wait of a few years at minimum. It’s all based on vacancies, it’s not a new empty building. It’s about fifty year old buildings in a desirable location suggesting that vacancies occur slowly.

Are you applying for 1, 2, or 3 bedroom?

Does your log# show on your computer screen?

If you are 399, Don’t be fooled into thinking there are 398 log# s ahead of you. That is only the maximum number of applicants ahead of you in this year’s lottery. Some will likely drop out or have dropped out already. There can be older log# ahead of you.

If it does not cost you anything, return the application. We don’t know where we will in years to come. When they call you it might be a great fit or maybe you will be living in California.

There is a Brooklyn Mitchell-Lama list that has moved 200 places this year, but it’s not a block from Central Park and the subway.
Good luck and good patience.
gotcha, thank you! applying for 1 bedroom, and my log # does show on my computer screen. this was very helpful

Old 12-24-2022, 07:34 AM

48 posts, read 36,244 times
I was told that the packets were going to be mailed out on the 22nd. They still process the applications by log numbers in order though. I also have a 2 digit log number for the 1 bedroom.

Old 12-24-2022, 09:44 AM

137 posts, read 163,015 times
Got a letter yesterday. Log 3xx. 1 bdr.
And yes it is dated from the 22nd so everyone will get their letters soon.

Last edited by ariez4490; 12-24-2022 at 10:02 AM..

Old 12-24-2022, 10:43 AM

444 posts, read 387,002 times
Got my letter yesterday also and it dated the 22nd. My # is 8X for a 2br
I was surprised at the letter & application since this is a waitlist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery