Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2022, 06:46 PM

13 posts, read 9,113 times

Advertisements

For those currently living or have lived in a housing lottery apartment ...

a.) Out of a rating of 5, what would you rate the building and/or apartment unit you currently live in or did live in? Why?
(1 being horrible, 5 being fantastic)

b.) What did you learn after you moved into the apartment that you wish you knew during the application process?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2022, 09:09 PM

123 posts, read 139,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mox Farms View Post
For those currently living or have lived in a housing lottery apartment ...

a.) Out of a rating of 5, what would you rate the building and/or apartment unit you currently live in or did live in? Why?
(1 being horrible, 5 being fantastic)

b.) What did you learn after you moved into the apartment that you wish you knew during the application process?
Well I got selected for a studio luxury building located in Williamsburg back in May. I would definitely rate my building a 5. I love all of my building amenities; doorman, package room, lovely comfy rooftop terrance with grills, large gym and also a comfy lounge with kitchenette tv and pool table. My super fixes things right away and also the doorman has great communication. I don't have any complaints at all about my building and I don't plan on leaving unless I get called for a 1 bedroom of course.

Old 09-09-2022, 03:23 PM

7,906 posts, read 7,888,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sha3131 View Post
Well I got selected for a studio luxury building located in Williamsburg back in May. I would definitely rate my building a 5. I love all of my building amenities; doorman, package room, lovely comfy rooftop terrance with grills, large gym and also a comfy lounge with kitchenette tv and pool table. My super fixes things right away and also the doorman has great communication. I don't have any complaints at all about my building and I don't plan on leaving unless I get called for a 1 bedroom of course.
which building do you live in? We love Williamsburg

Old 09-09-2022, 05:26 PM

65 posts, read 57,731 times

It's clear many things were rushed at the last minute sadly, even though this building was under construction for so long. No hot water in the morning, certain outlets not working and my intercom stopped working two days ago randomly. Now I'm noticing how difficult it will be to get deliveries until more people move in, because the front door only opens with an RFID key fob. So unless you can buzz in the mail carriers, or they can pick a random bell to ring, they just won't be able to enter. And the super is shared with 2 other locations so he's not a constant to rely on for entry. Very unfortunate since I keep missing deliveries while at work. Plus other amenities are either absent, not as stated, or just abundant enough for the size of the building. Trying to stay grateful though as always.

Old 09-09-2022, 06:04 PM

6,687 posts, read 6,033,238 times
4.5 -
Pros:
  • I won a studio that is large and spacious in comparison to many market rates
  • It's walking distance from my job
  • The building is well serviced: We have security guards, doormen, porters and a live-in super
  • You are given a lease, but not bound to it. I was able to cancel my two year lease with only a 30 day notice
  • The staff is friendly
  • The rent is very affordable
  • the building is clean
  • the building is very quiet. I sleep like a baby at night!

Cons:
  • Some of the tenants have friends that are shady - some have already scratched the elevator with their keys
  • People are constantly moving in and out
  • No real amenities. The building tried to correct this by putting two cardio machines in what was once a community room
  • Some of the tenants are not clean. I always see food garbage thrown in the bin for what should be for recyclables. I can tell that in a few years, these types of tenants will turn the building into a place that is not so clean. Sad, since the building is rather new.

Overall, though, my experience inside of my apartment and dealing with management has been very positive!

Oh forgot to answer second question: I wish I would've known the covid lockdowns were going to happen. I wouldn't have accepted a studio. A studio is not healthy to work from home (in my humble opinion).

Old 09-09-2022, 06:08 PM

2,862 posts, read 2,400,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
4.5 -
Pros:
  • I won a studio that is large and spacious in comparison to many market rates
  • It's walking distance from my job
  • The building is well serviced: We have security guards, doormen, porters and a live-in super
  • You are given a lease, but not bound to it. I was able to cancel my two year lease with only a 30 day notice
  • The staff is friendly
  • The rent is very affordable
  • the building is clean
  • the building is very quiet. I sleep like a baby at night!

Cons:
  • Some of the tenants have friends that are shady - some have already scratched the elevator with their keys
  • People are constantly moving in and out
  • No real amenities. The building tried to correct this by putting two cardio machines in what was once a community room
  • Some of the tenants are not clean. I always see food garbage thrown in the bin for what should be for recyclables. I can tell that in a few years, these types of tenants will turn the building into a place that is not so clean. Sad, since the building is rather new.

Overall, though, my experience inside of my apartment and dealing with management has been very positive!
Which building if you don’t mind saying?

Wonder why people are moving in and out a lot. Is it market rate units ?

Old 09-09-2022, 06:14 PM

6,687 posts, read 6,033,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilmoregal View Post
Which building if you don’t mind saying?

Wonder why people are moving in and out a lot. Is it market rate units ?
I do mind for now, but will tell ya'll when I move out since I still live here lol.
They're always moving out and in. I know many people lost their jobs during the lockdowns and one person got evicted. The building was also listed as "units still available" on the housing connect site
Honestly, if they would've called me within this building for a one bedroom, I would've taken it.

Old 09-09-2022, 06:53 PM

2,862 posts, read 2,400,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
I do mind for now, but will tell ya'll when I move out since I still live here lol.
They're always moving out and in. I know many people lost their jobs during the lockdowns and one person got evicted. The building was also listed as "units still available" on the housing connect site
Honestly, if they would've called me within this building for a one bedroom, I would've taken it.
No worries I understand. My next guess was the pandemic as to why people were moving in and out .

Shocked someone got evicted. A menace of a neighbor lives in my building (who also doesn’t pay rent) my landlord refuses to kick him out states “it’s very hard to evict someone” . It always bothered me as to why he never tried though

Old 09-11-2022, 10:20 AM

46 posts, read 63,097 times
I would rate my apartment unit a 3 out of 5

It’s my first apartment and is definitely a step up from living with my parents. I have some amenities such as laundry room , fitness area and sun deck area. I regret not taking my time and waiting for a one bedroom instead of jumping at the first option being offered. Also because of Covid I wasn’t able to use the fitness area for a year and the washer machines are always busted or busy.

The search continues…

Old 09-11-2022, 04:14 PM

123 posts, read 139,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
which building do you live in? We love Williamsburg
I do not want to disclose which building that I live in due to security reasons.

But yeah I just wanted to share my living experience with my lottery apartment in Williamsburg so far....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery