Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2022, 03:10 PM

2 posts, read 1,806 times

Advertisements

I won lottery apartment (all 130% AMI back in January) and was all excited, little I knew that I would dream of moving out! I live next to the gym (my living room shared a wall with it) and I fought with management for 5 months due to the noise of people using weight machine, throwing dumbbells, kids around 14-15 bringing their friends and people blasting music). The only resolution I got was management limiting hours till 8pm and sending one threat to tenants asking to listen to music only while wearing headphones. But the noise from the lifting machine was not mitigated and some people use it in a way my floor and walls are trembling. I gave up and decided to let go, despite the fact that I WFH and it’s extremely annoying.

Now, for the past 2 months another problem happened - mini split AC doesn’t work. At first it would stop working after I take shower (for a reasonable time, like 5-10 mins) or use Washer on a warm mode. The AC would blow a warm air or just air if I was lucky and the temperature would go from 73 to 83 in 30-45 minutes and only after an hour after it would slowly start cooling. Than a month ago it stopped working all together. They sent people 6 times and I heard them whisper that they need to change something and it doesn’t work, but when they call the manager they tell him that everything works just fine. For the past month the temperature in my apartment has been 78-83 degrees and the management keeps asking me to run the AC non stop and says that it’s normal it stops working after I take a shower because it hears water? I’ve emailed them so many times, so now they’re ignoring me. What can I do in this situation? I feel like I’m living in hell, I can’t put AC in the window cuz they won’t fully open, my SO developed migraines and I can barely sleep at night cuz Im hot. And on top I pay $200 per month for electricity for a non working AC

PS. Maintenance guys said that no one except us have called them with the same AC issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2022, 03:46 PM

1,604 posts, read 1,839,601 times
I'm sorry to hear about this, if I may suggest, you may want to contact 311 & open a case about the issues that you have. Here's more information on how to report to 311/Apartment maintenance complaint:

https://portal.311.nyc.gov/article/?kanumber=KA-01074

Old 09-18-2022, 04:34 PM

7,906 posts, read 7,888,702 times
Keep 311 on em, and keep going at their a**es until they give you another unit

Old 09-18-2022, 05:10 PM

2,179 posts, read 1,863,409 times
I was in a pretty sh*tty situation a few years ago, while building management acknowledge the tenant was a problem, they did what they could short of eviction. I requested an internal transfer, the first year I did they ignored me. The second I went straight to HPD with a lengthy email with dates and times. That’s when they finally took action… at some point they wanted me to testify in court (as if).

Glad I’m out of there….you need to look at other options to move… I know it’s not easy…. In the interim, maybe a white noise machine and/or headphones….

Old 09-18-2022, 10:52 PM

246 posts, read 235,237 times
I'm so sorry! No AC during summer? You could've been to ER... smh. Have you contacted HPD as Marshabrady said? So sorry again. I feel bad

Old 09-19-2022, 12:27 PM

57 posts, read 58,045 times
Stop paying rent until the issue is resolved. Put the money in an escrow account.

Old 09-19-2022, 12:58 PM

6,688 posts, read 6,033,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_from_Brooklyn View Post
Stop paying rent until the issue is resolved. Put the money in an escrow account.
I wouldn't stop paying rent - only a judge can decide that. I would take Marsha's advice - 311/ HPD their butts off.

Two apartment's ago, I had a horrible neighbor and some repair issues: My downstairs neighbor who was in his 20's played loud music, smoked pot and threw parties all hours of the night. At the time, I was working full time and doing a masters in the evenings, and felt tortured to have to go back home at 9:30pm only to be met with music and loud parties. And when I tell you that the music was loud, it is because it was extremely loud - with the base and all, trembling the walls. This on top that there was a leaking pipe which attracted those large cockroaches, which was very distressing.

So how did I fix it? I videoed everything and uploaded the video to YouTube and sent the link to both my landlord and 311. (By the way, 311 is good for repairs but they won't do crap for parties or loud music).

Old 09-19-2022, 01:07 PM

71 posts, read 64,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
I wouldn't stop paying rent - only a judge can decide that. I would take Marsha's advice - 311/ HPD their butts off.

Two apartment's ago, I had a horrible neighbor and some repair issues: My downstairs neighbor who was in his 20's played loud music, smoked pot and threw parties all hours of the night. At the time, I was working full time and doing a masters in the evenings, and felt tortured to have to go back home at 9:30pm only to be met with music and loud parties. And when I tell you that the music was loud, it is because it was extremely loud - with the base and all, trembling the walls. This on top that there was a leaking pipe which attracted those large cockroaches, which was very distressing.

So how did I fix it? I videoed everything and uploaded the video to YouTube and sent the link to both my landlord and 311. (By the way, 311 is good for repairs but they won't do crap for parties or loud music).

What did your landlord do to solve it? Was the problem fixed?

Old 09-19-2022, 01:07 PM

2,862 posts, read 2,400,814 times
I would threaten to stop paying rent if the issue is not resolved. Sometimes the threat is the motivation they need to fix things

Old 09-19-2022, 01:08 PM

6,688 posts, read 6,033,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker2022 View Post
What did your landlord do to solve it? Was the problem fixed?
Oh, I forgot... he evicted the young man LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
View detailed profiles of: