Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2022, 01:29 PM

57 posts, read 59,379 times

Advertisements

We can all agree that winning one of these lotteries is already a victory by itself.
I think all of us have wants/needs that we prioritize over others in our housing search.
I've been trying to narrow down what's most important to me in the event that I had more than one option and needed to choose.

Here's how I'd rank them.

1. Location (clean/safe environment)
2. Parking/Garage
3. In-Unit Washer/Dryer
4. Price
5. Size of rooms
6. Amenities (gym, lounge...etc)
7. Gas appliances
8. Concierge/Package room
9. Walking distance to transportation and food options.

Of course, we can't expect to get everything on our wish list.

What's most important to YOU ???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2022, 01:52 PM

800 posts, read 742,919 times
Currently live in a rent stabilized apartment and I’ve been actively looking to leave. Below are the types of apartments I was applying to on HC. If my “must haves” weren’t met, I’d rather just stay where I currently am.

Must haves:
Location (clean/safe location, close to work, doggy day care nearby)
Amenities
Doorman building
Stainless steel appliances lol
Price not more than 40x my annual income

Nice to have:
In unit washer dryer
Views
High rise
Close to subway
Parking Garage or decent street parking

Old 10-08-2022, 02:24 PM

135 posts, read 200,793 times
I currently live in a rent stabilized apartment ( great amenities and appliances , views, concierge /doorman, close proximity to shops/restaurants/ and transportation*****)and I’ve been lucky to win an apartment on HC and I am in the process of moving. If my “must haves” weren’t met, I would have stayed . These were what I was looking for

Must haves:
Location (clean/safe location, close to subway)
Doorman building
Stainless steel appliances
Rent(low- of course)
Washer Dryer

Nice to have:
Views
Amenities
Large room/WIC

Old 10-08-2022, 02:52 PM

93 posts, read 76,312 times
Proximity to gym(s)

Old 10-08-2022, 04:05 PM

644 posts, read 745,847 times
1. Distance to work
2. Nice bathroom
3. Room that fits a queen bed nicely
4. Close to the gym

Old 10-08-2022, 05:57 PM

2,862 posts, read 2,440,073 times
#1 Affordability !!!!
Sound proof
well maintained building
Decent neighbors
Responsive landlord

All appliances & views etc do not matter to me at this point.
If the building has laundry that’s a plus but I’ll go down the block to do my laundry if it means all the above are 100% guaranteed

Old 10-08-2022, 06:36 PM

349 posts, read 367,201 times
nothing else matters

Old 10-08-2022, 06:54 PM

235 posts, read 314,351 times
Safety
I’m a small woman in NYC, so safety is always a concern. When I first moved here I lived in a high crime area for a year. A boy, under 15 years old, was shot in the head in my backyard. A week later, another child met the same fate sitting in a car 50ft from my front door. I left and never looked back. Now we fork over more rent than we are comfortable with to live in a “safe” neighborhood.

Decent neighborhood schools
We’ve received several hits for apartments that look decently priced and nicely constructed, to later find out only 30% of the children in the zone schools can read or write at grade level. So, the trade off for affordable rent is children who can’t read or write. That’s not a deal.

I’ve always lived within a block or two of the subway. Also, a commute over 45 minutes by subway or bus would probably be a no go. Lastly, of course…safety.

Washer dryer
I’ve been lugging a family sized load of clothing several blocks to the laundry every week for nearly 15 years. I’m over it. I’m getting older and it’s too much. Very few places in the rest of the country expect tenets to do this, especially when paying $2,000-$4,000 for rent.

Doorman
Once again, safety. Package theft is rampant everywhere, good or bad. There was just a case of squatting in my building where a neighbor went on vacation for 2 weeks and came home to squatters in her bed, who immediately chased her out and tried to change her locks

Other amenities would be nice… but I don’t need them. Access to a roof deck would be a dream, the pandemic taught me that. I do prefer a highrise to a smaller building.

Last edited by Vanta B; 10-08-2022 at 07:26 PM..

Old 10-08-2022, 06:58 PM

2,862 posts, read 2,440,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanta B View Post
Safety
I’m a small woman in NYC, so safety is always a concern. When I first moved here I lived in a high crime area for a year. A boy, under 15 years old, was shot in the head in my backyard. A week later, another child met the same fate sitting in a car 50ft from my front door. I left and never looked back. Now we fork over more rent than we should to live in a “safer” neighborhood.

Decent neighborhood schools
We’ve received several hits for apartments that look decently priced and nicely constructed, to later find out only 30% of the children in the zone schools can read or write at grade level. So, the trade off for affordable rent is children who can’t read or write.

I’ve always lived within a block or two of the subway. A commute over 45 minutes by subway or bus would probably be a no go.

Washer dryer
I’ve been lugging a family sized load of clothing several blocks to the laundry every week for nearly 15 years. I’m over it. I’m getting older and it’s too much. Very few places in the rest of the country expect tenets to do this, especially when paying $2,000-$4,000 for rent.

Doorman
Once again safety. Package theft is rampant. There was just a case of squatting in my building where a neighbor went on vacation for 2 weeks and came home to squatters in her bed, who immediately chased her out and tried to change her locks

Other amenities would be nice… but I don’t need them.
“ There was just a case of squatting in my building where a neighbor went on vacation for 2 weeks and came home to squatters in her bed, who immediately chased her out and tried to change her locks”

How did they get into her place was it a roomie situation? Or some random
Just broke in and called her place home?

Old 10-08-2022, 07:07 PM

235 posts, read 314,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilmoregal View Post
“ There was just a case of squatting in my building where a neighbor went on vacation for 2 weeks and came home to squatters in her bed, who immediately chased her out and tried to change her locks”

How did they get into her place was it a roomie situation? Or some random
Just broke in and called her place home?
They were randoms. No one has figured out how they got into her apartment. It was a one bedroom and she lives alone. Very scary, as you can imagine. The squatters must have only left and entered the apartment very, very late at night because no other neighbors ever saw them and we live in a chatty building, so someone would have noticed. The police were called and they were marched out in handcuffs.

Last edited by Vanta B; 10-08-2022 at 07:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
View detailed profiles of: