Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2022, 09:29 AM

6,689 posts, read 6,040,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by someoneinqueens View Post
The only reason I applied the housing lottery at that time because I wanted to live in the building where I am now but I can't afford it because the MR rent is crazy, we are talking about a studio $4500 & up, 1BR $5500 & up, 2BR $8000 & up. So it's literally my dream home, one & only!

I was lucky to win a unit at 120% AMI instead of 130% AMI, though I wouldn't mind because the rent price is still wayyy cheaper. My alcove studio MR rent price is $5300 now & here I am, paying less than $2K.

https://streeteasy.com/building/summ...t-new_york/39j

If I never won this unit perhaps I would have still lived in my MR apartment as I also loved it!
wow that's extreme luxury!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2022, 11:19 AM

1,604 posts, read 1,842,684 times
Talking about winning a 'real' lottery!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
wow that's extreme luxury!

Old 10-12-2022, 12:34 PM

453 posts, read 499,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linamonroll View Post
Similar here. 130% and my rent is just over 2k for a 1br while MR in my building are 4-7K and up. I couldn't afford to live in a building like I do without the lotto. Sure, I could probably find *an* apartment for the same price MR but it would be the very bottom of the market, poor location, old building, no amenities etc. The RS aspect is the cherry on top for me, the stability is unmatched without owning.
Basically the same for us. And honestly why I'm not even too fussy about whether or not it has the same appliances as market rate etc (though I'm lucky that my place does) - could I afford to pay $5-6k for a market rate 2-bed with Bosch /SMEG etc appliances (not to mention amazing views and high ceilings and 24/7 doormen and swimming pools and so on)? Heck no. And those apartments we can afford at like $3k per month for a 2-bed, well, they most certainly won't have Bosch appliances or the rest either.

No matter what people think about whether those in 130% AMIs should be in the lottery, the majority of us can't afford market rate in luxury buildings, certainly in more desirable parts of town.

And rent stabilization is indeed a (very nice) bonus to have. I know too many people whose rent has suddenly shot up by 15 or 20% and now they need to move.

Old 10-12-2022, 12:35 PM

453 posts, read 499,636 times
Quote:
The only reason I applied the housing lottery at that time because I wanted to live in the building where I am now but I can't afford it because the MR rent is crazy, we are talking about a studio $4500 & up, 1BR $5500 & up, 2BR $8000 & up. So it's literally my dream home, one & only!

I was lucky to win a unit at 120% AMI instead of 130% AMI, though I wouldn't mind because the rent price is still wayyy cheaper. My alcove studio MR rent price is $5300 now & here I am, paying less than $2K... and rent-stabilized!!

https://streeteasy.com/building/summ...t-new_york/39j

If I never won this unit perhaps I would have still lived in my MR apartment as I also loved it!
Totally Gorgeous! Lucky you

Old 10-13-2022, 08:12 AM

603 posts, read 601,464 times
RS is the main reason I started applying. We could never afford to live here otherwise, maybe a studio instead of a 3 bedroom unit. We have a view from Wall Street to Billionaire's Row, not to mention downtown BK, Greenpoint and LIC.

Check out the views from our unit:

https://imgur.com/EToaogp

https://imgur.com/nMoz7YP

https://imgur.com/0F7GyhL

Old 10-13-2022, 08:13 AM

Whoahhh!!! That's an amazing view!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dime99 View Post
RS is the main reason I started applying. We could never afford to live here otherwise, maybe a studio instead of a 3 bedroom unit. We have a view from Wall Street to Billionaire's Row, not to mention downtown BK, Greenpoint and LIC.

Check out the views from our unit:

https://imgur.com/EToaogp

Old 10-13-2022, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Whoahhh!!! That's an amazing view!!!
Thanks! Honestly, I never dreamed we would get something like this. It's been two years and I'm still super grateful for it ALL.

Check out the other two pictures, I forgot to add them before.

Old 10-13-2022, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Talking about winning a 'real' lottery!!!
Seriously, real lottery winner. 120AMI too!

Old 10-13-2022, 08:20 AM

Most lotteries offer studios, 1BRs, a handful of 2BRs, & a VERY rare 3BRs! So you are truly blessed! Don't let go that 3BR unit (moreover in The Dime) unless you decide to buy a property.

Quote:
Thanks! Honestly, I never dreamed we would get something like this. It's been two years and I'm still super grateful for it ALL.

Check out the other two pictures, I forgot to add them before.

Old 10-13-2022, 08:31 AM

Thanks! I keep telling myself... NYC has no shortage of luxurious apartment buildings with an impressive amenities but when you were 'landed' in one where your workplace is on your doorstep with an amazing landlord that prioritizes their tenants' well being by maintaining their building professionally plus not greedy, & pet friendly... That's what I call it a blessing!!!

Quote:
Seriously, real lottery winner. 120AMI too!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BritinNYC View Post
Totally Gorgeous! Lucky you

Last edited by someoneinqueens; 10-13-2022 at 08:49 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery