Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2023, 02:27 PM

13 posts, read 14,634 times

Advertisements

I got choose for studio, log number 118 but I need a bigger place for my kid
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2023, 03:40 PM

2,006 posts, read 1,626,371 times
At ForMyIsla,

(Some people think it wise to not reveal their exact log#.)

I think they are only at #4 now for this building. The wait can be many years long. Your kid might be an adult or in college or in the service when your log# is called. Keep your status up to date. Typically, you can put a year long hold on your status at anytime or when they call you for a unit.

The point here is these Mitchell Lama building can be an excellent deal and NYC they are opportunities that are hard to get. This studio might not suit you now, but years from now it could be a good benefit to you.

Old 03-03-2023, 05:31 PM

Yes they sent me an application in the mail and a deadline to send it back

Old 03-03-2023, 11:13 PM

I received a application for studio too. I sent it in. I got the letter pretty late.

Old 03-05-2023, 09:10 AM

99 posts, read 189,916 times
Angry Anyone else still waiting for their money order to be cashed? No response from manager.

I received an application for this building, Strycker's Bay back in January for the 1 bedroom and sent it back with a money order. It's been almost 2 months and the money order still has not been cashed yet. I checked it online.

I've been calling the phone number on the application form (which it says to call if you have any questions) to make sure they got my application but the woman doesn't call back. I've left 4 messages about this (called every week) and hear nothing.

Check your money order and see if it's been cashed yet.

Has anyone else had the same issues? I'm about to file a complaint with the Mitchell-Lama hotline.

Old 03-05-2023, 09:22 AM

828 posts, read 766,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieNYC View Post
I received an application for this building, Strycker's Bay back in January for the 1 bedroom and sent it back with a money order. It's been almost 2 months and the money order still has not been cashed yet. I checked it online.

I've been calling the phone number on the application form (which it says to call if you have any questions) to make sure they got my application but the woman doesn't call back. I've left 4 messages about this (called every week) and hear nothing.

Has anyone else had the same issues? I'm about to file a complaint with the Mitchell-Lama hotline.
I'm not sure the logic for waiting so long to cash money orders, but Village East Towers took 6 months to cash my money order. I sent the application and money order back within a day or two.

We're in an information black hole.

Old 03-05-2023, 09:31 AM

99 posts, read 189,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPC1999 View Post
I'm not sure the logic for waiting so long to cash money orders, but Village East Towers took 6 months to cash my money order. I sent the application and money order back within a day or two.

We're in an information black hole.

Next time I'm going to pay extra and send back all of my applications via certified mail to be guaranteed to know that they received it. There are too many shady and incompetant building managers who don't follow-up and don't care.

Anyone else still waiting for a response?

Old 03-05-2023, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Next time I'm going to pay extra and send back all of my applications via certified mail to be guaranteed to know that they received it. There are too many shady and incompetant building managers who don't follow-up and don't care.

Anyone else still waiting for a response?
Notices for new Mitchell Lama wait list lotteries typical include the following text: ’HOW TO APPLY, BY MAIL, Mail: Post Card or Envelope by regular mail. Registered and Certified Mail will not be accepted. ‘

I added the bolds.

So take caution when using certified mail. As for subsequent submitting of documents and so on, consult the instructions.

I have not seen any prohibition on sending a request for a status report via certified mail.

As for the logic of not cashing money orders quickly. It occurs to me that a personal check would be vulnerable to bouncing due to insufficient funds, stop payment order, and an account being closed. Seems like a money order avoids those risks. But why wait at all to cash it? Short answer is they have higher priorities on their desk in the short term. It not likely that wait list is somebody’s only job duty.

From the standpoint of management the very slow moving lottery process is low priority where there are nearly no consequences to them if they wait to do it their own time. They are much more aware of possible vacancies that are upcoming. They still can progress paperwork way ahead of when it is necessary and still wait a long time before doing it.

I know, waiting is awful.

Last edited by WildAboutHarry; 03-05-2023 at 03:33 PM..

Old 03-05-2023, 04:13 PM

Quote:

On what grounds are you going to file a complaint? Being on a Wait List means waiting. What do you really have to complain about? You are among just a few hundred people to be lucky enough to get this chance. It not hard believe that more than a hundred thousand people entered the lottery.

Did you read anywhere, or did anyone tell you you could expect that your money order would be cashed by some date certain? Was a commitment made you would have a response within a particular span of time?

Where has a breach occurred?

You are on a Wait List for a massive discount co-op, like a 90% or more discount. The location is less than a block from Central Park in the UWS. Oh yeah, maintenance is under $1K a month. It’s rational that the Wait List moves very slowly for vacancies, and also for paperwork processing. Anylme who lived there under these financial circumstances would not be in hurry to leave.

If they demanded an immediate $10K be put into escrow, I myself would demand white glove service and expect a holiday card each year. But it’s nothing like that.

To any of us lucky enough to be on such a wait list, how much skin do we have in the game?

Old 03-05-2023, 04:49 PM

1,034 posts, read 671,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildAboutHarry View Post
On what grounds are you going to file a complaint? Being on a Wait List means waiting. What do you really have to complain about? You are among just a few hundred people to be lucky enough to get this chance. It not hard believe that more than a hundred thousand people entered the lottery.

Did you read anywhere, or did anyone tell you you could expect that your money order would be cashed by some date certain? Was a commitment made you would have a response within a particular span of time?

Where has a breach occurred?

You are on a Wait List for a massive discount co-op, like a 90% or more discount. The location is less than a block from Central Park in the UWS. Oh yeah, maintenance is under $1K a month. It’s rational that the Wait List moves very slowly for vacancies, and also for paperwork processing. Anylme who lived there under these financial circumstances would not be in hurry to leave.

If they demanded an immediate $10K be put into escrow, I myself would demand white glove service and expect a holiday card each year. But it’s nothing like that.

To any of us lucky enough to be on such a wait list, how much skin do we have in the game?
To me, it’s hard to believe that this many people apply. I got into Stryckers, Henry Phillips, Lindsay Park, and another one that escapes me. I only started playing in October 2022, I can’t be this lucky, though my numbers are pretty high… And no one has sent a confirmation yet to me. Regarding this being a low priority, I think your explanation makes sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery