Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2022, 06:05 PM

4 posts, read 6,774 times

Advertisements

I've lived in my housing lottery 1 bedroom apartment for almost 4 years. I just got my lease renewal and as I'm reading it, it has an Occupancy rider and another page that talks about Section 235-F in regards to occupancy which I read and states I can have an adult occupant and that I can have family members live with me. I would love for my SO to move in with me and we do plan on getting married some day. Based on what I read in my lease, this is able to happen without a rent increase since it is a rent stabilized apartment. However, when I called my leasing office to check he told me that only minors were considered occupants and all adults must be on the lease. He said that if I added a roommate I'd have to go through the housing lottery income verification process again. I mentioned Section 235-F and he said to email him everything and he'd check. Has anyone had any experience with this? Obviously I see people just move in their SOs and don't let management know. But has anyone successfully moved in their SO as an occupant on the lease or married someone and added them to the lease in this kind of apartment? I have never had to recertify income.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2022, 06:35 PM

25 posts, read 31,409 times
I've often wondered about this. I have children that live with their mother, and I was thinking how would these housing lotteries would respond if I had a situation where I would have to take my child/children to come live with me full time.

(FYI, all my children are pre teen and under. )

Old 10-27-2022, 06:42 PM

6,681 posts, read 6,022,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juloa9 View Post
I've lived in my housing lottery 1 bedroom apartment for almost 4 years. I just got my lease renewal and as I'm reading it, it has an Occupancy rider and another page that talks about Section 235-F in regards to occupancy which I read and states I can have an adult occupant and that I can have family members live with me. I would love for my SO to move in with me and we do plan on getting married some day. Based on what I read in my lease, this is able to happen without a rent increase since it is a rent stabilized apartment. However, when I called my leasing office to check he told me that only minors were considered occupants and all adults must be on the lease. He said that if I added a roommate I'd have to go through the housing lottery income verification process again. I mentioned Section 235-F and he said to email him everything and he'd check. Has anyone had any experience with this? Obviously I see people just move in their SOs and don't let management know. But has anyone successfully moved in their SO as an occupant on the lease or married someone and added them to the lease in this kind of apartment? I have never had to recertify income.
Once you're in a lottery apartment and you sign the lease, you can basically move in and add to the lease whomever you wish. I don't believe that they have to go through the lottery process at all. They gave you the wrong information.

Old 10-27-2022, 06:47 PM

4 posts, read 6,774 times
Thank you for the reply. He did seem to not have any answers once I brought up that part of the lease. I've gotten no response yet from them.

Old 10-27-2022, 08:44 PM

585 posts, read 583,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
Once you're in a lottery apartment and you sign the lease, you can basically move in and add to the lease whomever you wish. I don't believe that they have to go through the lottery process at all. They gave you the wrong information.
So why my lottery apartment told me I can't add anyone on the lease? Does the person moving in have to submit paperwork?

Old 10-27-2022, 10:23 PM

800 posts, read 729,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goku23 View Post
So why my lottery apartment told me I can't add anyone on the lease? Does the person moving in have to submit paperwork?
Well initially you can’t because then it seems like you cheated the process to get approved. I’m sure when your lease renewal comes around you should be able to. They have to consider live events, you can get married have children. They can’t NOT let you add someone (just maybe not initially)

Old 10-28-2022, 01:34 AM

585 posts, read 583,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost20 View Post
Well initially you can’t because then it seems like you cheated the process to get approved. I’m sure when your lease renewal comes around you should be able to. They have to consider live events, you can get married have children. They can’t NOT let you add someone (just maybe not initially)
Will the rent go up if a person is added? will that person have to submit pay stubs?

Old 10-28-2022, 01:59 AM

31,897 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
No, that is not correct.

For RS apartments LL's are only required to add legally married spouses to leases. For anyone else a tenant of record may ask, but LL does not have to do a thing.

"In rent-stabilized apartments, a tenant can demand that a partner be added to a lease “if the partner became a spouse to the tenant and lived in the apartment as their primary residence with the tenant,” said Peter A. Schwartz, a real estate lawyer who specializes in rent stabilization and rent control, and is a partner in the Manhattan law firm Graubard Miller."

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/08/06/r...o-a-lease.html

https://www.metcouncilonhousing.org/...e-for-a-lease/

Landlords of market rate nor rent controlled housing have any say in adult family members or whoever moving into an apartment, long as it doesn't violate occupancy laws.

At each renewal of lease for a RS apartment LL must send forms that tenant fills out listing any adults occupying apartment besides tenant(s) of record. This among other things may prove useful if any such tenant wishes to claim said RS unit via succession.

Section 235-f does not say anything about adding names to leases. It only establishes rights tenants have to allow persons to live with them in said apartment.

https://codes.findlaw.com/ny/real-pr...ect-235-f.html

Old 10-28-2022, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goku23 View Post
Will the rent go up if a person is added? will that person have to submit pay stubs?

RS rents go up at renewal every one or two years based upon length of previous lease chosen by tenant(s). Said increases are whatever RGB enacted into law for period covered. Adding person(s) to lease and or having them move into apartment does not affect rent.

Old 10-28-2022, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juloa9 View Post
Much would depend upon what sort of lottery unit you have. If it's part of some low income housing, voucher or similar scheme there might very well be restrictions on occupants and so on. That would have been spelled out in original lease you signed before moving into apartment.

"Occupant" does not automatically translate into legal tenant of record (name on lease).

In NYS at lease again absent housing that comes with certain restrictions a LL doesn't have a GD thing to say about who moves in with tenant of record. It's just none of their business.

However if said tenant of record wants something from LL now or in future (such as adding name to lease, succession rights), for a RS apartment there are rules and procedures that must be followed.

Landlords aren't interested in someone planning to "get married someday". That falls again on something that isn't any of their business. If and or when that event happens and tenant of record has papers proving so, that's a different matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery