Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2023, 08:39 AM

191 posts, read 199,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopperthemopper View Post
Just got an email to schedule a viewing of a property in Queens by iAfford. What was your experience like with them? how long did it take you to sign the lease? anything I need to watch out for?

My income still fits within the range -- what are the chances that I'll get it the timeline for moving in?
I dealt with IAfford twice so far. They allow you to view multiple units and you will choose your top 2 (if multiple layouts). Some other agencies only let you look at one and don’t give you any options.

The agents on both occasions were extremely patient. Most will give you their cell and you can text/call/email with any questions, and they respond right away. This helps alot because I see people on this forum complaining about not getting direct answers, or even a response from other agencies.
They are direct so you won’t be confused or up in the air about where you stand. Also, if there’s an issue with paperwork, they actually work with you instead of downright rejecting your application! They move along the process pretty fast as well. Any questions you may have don’t be afraid to reach out, they will respond!

It’s a lottery at the end of it all so nothing is guaranteed with ANY agency until a lease is signed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2023, 04:49 PM

6 posts, read 4,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneakersoverheels View Post
I have found them communicative and professional, tbh. I had a lot of back and forth about a grant I'd received during the approval process, and the person I was working with took time to help me solve the problem and explain what documentation would be most effective. I didn't end up taking the apt but I did not feel like there was anything like a 'bidding war'--seemed transparent and I appreciated that I was allowed to have a preview of the apartment, unlike other lotteries.
Multiple people are saying that multiple people are viewing the unit at the same time. If someone's log number is before mine and they expressed interest -- I rather not waste my time going there and get my emotions played with. But that's just me

Old 02-07-2023, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brittanyv616 View Post
Your experience was horrible because you were shown multiple options? I'm sorry that you feel that way.
It is true that even if you are invited to a viewing it does not guarantee you an apartment. I don't think iAfford is any different than other marketing agencies in making that clear. It is the nature of the lottery.
I think their experience was horrible because you wasted their time and got their hopes up. They were asked for preference as if they were being processed for the apartment when in reality there were multiple people ahead of them. Some people have lives and commitments that cost money to take time out of their day to view an apartment they had 0% chance of getting based on the way your company does things. Better to not contact them at all unless it's actually their turn. MHANY actually asks for your documents when they reached your log number and will take the apt off the market if you show your interest.

Old 02-07-2023, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mn9580sb View Post
@brittanyv616 hello, I have won a lottery apartment in the city with another company and during the viewing process only I was showed the apartment by myself and it was no biding. after touring I was asked if I wanted it and I’f so I had to let them know either now or within 24 hours. @iAfford it’s serval people viewing apartments with you like a tour and it seems like a biding war. The three building I saw with y’all company literally every apartment I picked was some how gone.
That's because they call you pre-maturely and play with your time and feelings/hopes.

Old 02-07-2023, 09:25 AM

292 posts, read 272,393 times
I appreciate everyone's input. I will take this all into consideration.

Old 02-07-2023, 10:35 AM

79 posts, read 76,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mn9580sb View Post
My experience with iafford ny was horrible. I got called to see a few of their properties and I always was showed 2/3 apartment and told to pick which one I prefer and then some how the ones I always pick is taken On serval of their apartments. It’s also multiple people viewing units with you.
This is how it is with most. This is how it is with all the apartments I was selected for and the one I won. To expect a personalized experience with the lottery doesn’t make sense.

Old 02-07-2023, 10:41 AM

79 posts, read 76,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by griphook_Ruttish View Post
I think their experience was horrible because you wasted their time and got their hopes up. They were asked for preference as if they were being processed for the apartment when in reality there were multiple people ahead of them. Some people have lives and commitments that cost money to take time out of their day to view an apartment they had 0% chance of getting based on the way your company does things. Better to not contact them at all unless it's actually their turn. MHANY actually asks for your documents when they reached your log number and will take the apt off the market if you show your interest.
Another thing, knowing where you stand in the lottery is important. For example, there are 20 Units and your log number is 5,000 you may not have the best chance. When I won, I knew I had a good chances because my number was 3xx. I emailed the office my preference and desire for a parking spot while everyone was mingling and asking questions. I got the Unit and the last parking space.

Old 02-07-2023, 11:56 AM

15 posts, read 16,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tboogie3308 View Post
This is how it is with most. This is how it is with all the apartments I was selected for and the one I won. To expect a personalized experience with the lottery doesn’t make sense.
But it is how it's supposed to be. I live in one now and I was the only one asked to submit documents and view the unit because my log number was reached. It did take ridiculously long but I knew just my application and info were being processed. After the viewing, I ask asked if I liked it and signed the lease, and moved within the week. Imagine winning a lottery ticket and they show you the cash and then you were told that multiple people had the same ticket and you had to wait to see if people turn down the cash.

Old 02-07-2023, 12:03 PM

9 posts, read 5,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tboogie3308 View Post
Another thing, knowing where you stand in the lottery is important. For example, there are 20 Units and your log number is 5,000 you may not have the best chance. When I won, I knew I had a good chances because my number was 3xx. I emailed the office my preference and desire for a parking spot while everyone was mingling and asking questions. I got the Unit and the last parking space.
Exactly their point. They thought where they stand was in front of the line with a low log number but then after they view the unit and were asked which unit they wanted, they find out that the unit is gone because someone with a lower log number wanted and signed for it. So there really was no point in viewing the unit. It might save the marketing agency's time but waste like a good amount of regular folk time.

Old 02-08-2023, 06:49 AM

106 posts, read 92,215 times
Exactly my point about waste of people time with this company..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery