Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2023, 12:23 PM

30 posts, read 17,527 times

Advertisements

Hi, I’m at the submit document phase.
I currently rent a room, and the person in renting from will not sign any statements regarding rent. I could ask a friend or family member to do that part, would that be possible?

Also, for income verification I started a job in April and used that as my income qualification, would just the 6 most recent pay stubs suffice? Or what? Because I was “off the books” before April and don’t meet the income qualifications otherwise.

Another issue I have is that I applied with my mother as an applicant but she has refused to get a photo id and because of that I don’t know what to do. Can I remove her from my application and use the 6 pay stubs as income proof?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2023, 01:19 PM

6,687 posts, read 6,033,238 times
If you cannot prove that you were employed and gained the income that qualifies you, then you will not get the apartment.
Also, if you were off the books, then you have to be prepared to show you filed a tax return based on that income. Speaking about extra income, the money your tenant paid you may also be seen as extra income.

Old 01-30-2023, 01:40 PM

30 posts, read 17,527 times
I’m more concerned on what documents are needed exactly. I have a w-2, and can show the off the book payments plus have 6 consecutive paystubs.
I just need to know if I can remove a family member last minute, and how to show proof of rent payment if the person I’m renting from refuses to issue receipts or sign a statement

Old 01-30-2023, 01:48 PM

1,707 posts, read 1,451,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasstronamicle View Post
I’m more concerned on what documents are needed exactly. I have a w-2, and can show the off the book payments plus have 6 consecutive paystubs.
I just need to know if I can remove a family member last minute, and how to show proof of rent payment if the person I’m renting from refuses to issue receipts or sign a statement
How did you both agree to the terms of your "lease"? Do you have anything in writing where they confirm what the rent will be (even an email or text might work)? Then you can show proof of payment from your side.

Old 01-30-2023, 02:11 PM

4,773 posts, read 6,571,114 times
This is a very complex process designed to weed out people who don't qualify. Everything has to be done "by the book." If you have tenancy that you can't document and salary you can't document, you're going to have to jump through some hoops.

You will need to take your mother off the application if she won't get an ID card. Here's what the Marketing Handbook says about changing your household composition, and I've added the link below so you can read the whole thing:

2. Changes to Household Composition While Applicant is in Process for a Unit
a. Changes to household composition prior to document submission
are acceptable, provided that the change does not affect the
applicant’s qualification as a household or their ability to meet the
household size requirements for available units within the project.
(See Section 5-3 “Qualification of a Household.”)
b. In the case that an applicant appeals an ineligibility notice citing a
change in household composition, and such change would make
them apparently eligible for an available unit, the Marketing Agent
must send a Document Request Notice, Attachment H-1A.
c. After document submission and after eligibility is determined,
changes to household composition that are not due to an
Extenuating Circumstance will result in the application being
rejected. The Marketing Agent must send them a Rejection Notice,
Attachment H-4.
C. PROOF OF EXTENUATING CIRCUMSTANCES
1. The Marketing Agent will require the applicant to provide, at the time of
appeal, documents to support any changes in household composition. A
notarized statement alone is not sufficient documentation of an extenuating
circumstance, except when permissible in subsections 2 and 3 below.
Common examples of documentation for extenuating circumstances
include but are not limited to: birth or death certificates, hospital records,
divorce records, and court records.
2. Legal or legitimate separation
a. Examples of proof of a legal separation would be either (i) a duly
executed and acknowledged separation agreement filed with the
county clerk where either spouse lives, or (ii) a judgment of
MARKETING HANDBOOK, SECTION 4: OUTLINE OF PROCEDURES
5-4: Income Eligibility
Page 43 of 70
separation granted by the New York Supreme Court, or (iii) proof of
Divorce filing evidencing that a Summons and Complaint and an
Affidavit of Service have been filed, or (iv) legal documentation, such
as tax returns or other government-issued documentation,
establishing one partner’s absence from the household for at least
six months prior to date of eligibility appointment and a notarized
affidavit from the applicant representing that they are separated and
have no intention of reuniting.
b. If legal proof of separation or divorce is not available to the applicant,
they must provide an explanation for the lack of legal proof as well
as documentation supporting such separation or divorce.

https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/hpd/down...ing-handbook.p
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery