Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2023, 11:09 AM

105 posts, read 88,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzGuy View Post
@WildAboutHarry

This is what the email they sent me says:

So I sent my reply, with tracking (not yet opened), last night.

I assume that their "document request," once they send it to me, will have a link to a dropbox folder or some such thing.

But right now, without that, I'm not sure how I would get further documents to them. I'm assuming it's not possible until I hear back from them, which seems like it will be after Monday.

Unless there are some means other means that you have in mind?

Maybe I should create my own dropbox, fill it with my documents, and send them a link to that pre-emptively?
No. You will get the document request from them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2023, 11:13 AM

57 posts, read 49,371 times
Thank you, @linamonroll,

It's amazing, this is really an art and a science.

So, I don't suppose anyone can know this, but how many people do you think they typically contact at once? 5? 10? 20?

… so I can realistically frame my expectations of success.

Old 03-07-2023, 11:19 AM

Thank you, @inamonroll

This is really an art and a science!

So, I suppose no one really knows this, but do you have any idea how many people they are processing at the same time? 5? 10? 20?

… just so I can frame my expectations realistically.

Old 03-07-2023, 12:46 PM

1,707 posts, read 1,451,354 times
Quote:
Thank you, @linamonroll,

It's amazing, this is really an art and a science.

So, I don't suppose anyone can know this, but how many people do you think they typically contact at once? 5? 10? 20?

… so I can realistically frame my expectations of success.
It varies so much by building and agency. If the building is large and particularly with high AMI units, they will contact 100 or more people in batches. And then each agency varies too in how many people they are actively processing for each unit. Sometimes they "assign" a unit to each person who send in initial docs and that unit is held for that person until they either withdraw, get rejected, or sign a lease. Others will work on processing several people for a given unit and then the lowest log # that makes it all the way through the process of approval will get that final offer. There really isn't any way to know for each building how it will go. The good thing is the end result should be the same.

If you want to DM me the building you are up for and your approximate log number, I can give you my best guess as to your chances. The reality though is there is no way to know and you just have to be patient and do your part which is to be responsive to them, provide what is asked of you, and do kind but persistent follow up along the way to keep things moving. They process is a marathon but it IS worth it.

Old 03-07-2023, 01:32 PM

115 posts, read 69,043 times
Quote:
Thank you, @inamonroll

This is really an art and a science!

So, I suppose no one really knows this, but do you have any idea how many people they are processing at the same time? 5? 10? 20?

… just so I can frame my expectations realistically.
There is no way to know, but in my case I submitted paperwork, went to see the apt submitted updated and extra paper work, and its been 4 months since I saw the apt. I would say to be hopeful but not to bet on it.

Old 03-07-2023, 02:22 PM

105 posts, read 88,708 times
This is essentially a rerental, so it may in fact be faster than a regular new lottery. I’d expect it to move a lot faster, especially since it’s only 1 available unit.

Old 03-07-2023, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plantmom View Post
This is essentially a rerental, so it may in fact be faster than a regular new lottery. I’d expect it to move a lot faster, especially since it’s only 1 available unit.
Thank you, @Plantmom,

I know this is impossible to predict, but do you think try to return to New York before my scheduled flight on 3/25 in case I'm needed in person? The consensus seems to be that that is something I won't need to worry about, that the next steps will like take six weeks or so at the soonest, and that they can all be done remotely. But maybe it's different because, as you say, it's a single unit and it's a re-rental. Does anyone have experience with this they could share?

According to the email from the Affordable Housing Office, they'll be sending me a document request on 3/14-15, and I'll be prepared in advance to have the documents prepared so I can return them immediately. My scheduled return to New York is 10 days after that.

Old 03-07-2023, 04:13 PM

6,687 posts, read 6,033,238 times
Quote:
Thank you, @Plantmom,

I know this is impossible to predict, but do you think try to return to New York before my scheduled flight on 3/25 in case I'm needed in person? The consensus seems to be that that is something I won't need to worry about, that the next steps will like take six weeks or so at the soonest, and that they can all be done remotely. But maybe it's different because, as you say, it's a single unit and it's a re-rental. Does anyone have experience with this they could share?

According to the email from the Affordable Housing Office, they'll be sending me a document request on 3/14-15, and I'll be prepared in advance to have the documents prepared so I can return them immediately. My scheduled return to New York is 10 days after that.
They don't need anything from you in person. I was also called for three luxury units back during the Summer for re-rentals also known as "mini lotteries" and none of the managing agents requested my presence not until it was time for me to view the apartment. But that's the last step after all documents are processed and verified. Oh, and for one of the units, I asked if I could see it the following week since I too was away. They gladly accommodated me and my viewing was scheduled for the following week. The disadvantage of postponing your viewing is that someone else may view it and take it.

Old 03-07-2023, 05:00 PM

79 posts, read 66,818 times
Quote:
Thank you, @Plantmom,

The unit I am in is a re-rental and the process still took a little over 4 months.

Old 03-08-2023, 10:37 AM

1,707 posts, read 1,451,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
They don't need anything from you in person. I was also called for three luxury units back during the Summer for re-rentals also known as "mini lotteries" and none of the managing agents requested my presence not until it was time for me to view the apartment. But that's the last step after all documents are processed and verified. Oh, and for one of the units, I asked if I could see it the following week since I too was away. They gladly accommodated me and my viewing was scheduled for the following week. The disadvantage of postponing your viewing is that someone else may view it and take it.
I agree that there shouldn't be a need to return ahead of schedule. If they do, for some reason, need you in-person, it would not be a matter of "you need to come in this afternoon", but rather, they would schedule with you. It is not uncommon at all for people to be simply out of town and they are used to accommodating people, within a reasonable timeframe. You should be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery