Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2023, 07:50 PM

57 posts, read 49,273 times

Advertisements

I've just been notified that the log number for my application just came for a luxury apartment in midtown, The Magellan.

The email says, "Once you affirm interest, a document request will be sent within 1-2 business days after the deadline." Of course, I replied to affirm my interest immediately. The deadline is this coming Monday, March 13th.

I realize this is rudimentary information on this forum but could someone who's been through this process before please advise me on the events that will follow and their likely timing? How should I prepare now so as not to lose this opportunity?

Of particular concern is that I'm presently out of the country on vacation, with a return flight scheduled on March 25th. Need I reschedule my return flight for an earlier date, and if so, when? Is there anything needed once I receive the document request that I might need to be home for? And if the documents I provide are accepted, will I likely need to be available in town for an in-person interview, and if so, by what date might I need to reschedule my return flight so as to eliminate any risks?

Thank you very much in advance for any advice you can share.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2023, 08:28 PM

2,017 posts, read 1,633,619 times
Congratulations.

Thinking out loud here. If it were me, I would want to get ahold of their fax number.

I would telephone them and reference your email reply to whomever you speak with or leave voicemail saying the same. I think your immediate goal is to make contact with someone on the other end. Once they know you are active and interested and understand your circumstances they might cut you some slack.

Often, there is much ‘hurry up and wait’ in the situation. The deadlines might be there to get people off the fence, and not at all indicate that there is a unit available for immediate occupancy. An in person interview might not be on the i immediate horizon.

It seems like your application paperwork is still going to need to sent by them to the City for approval.

Do you know if this building has opened and has tenants yet?

Sorry I can’t be more concrete. Best wishes on success.

Old 03-06-2023, 08:41 PM

253 posts, read 217,642 times
They usually ask for pay stubs, lease, birth certificate, social, bank statements /
As the first set of documents so if have your personal info in hand you can just scan it with your phone and send it through housing connect same with bank statement can be pulled up online

Old 03-06-2023, 08:46 PM

79 posts, read 66,650 times
Typically the list of documents for the first round of requests includes:
4-6 most recent paystubs
Last year's tax return/W-2
6 most recent checking account statements
Most recent bank account statements (savings, retirement, etc)

They might also ask for proof of ID, proof of residence (ex: copy of current lease), etc.

If you are able to access all of those documents while on vacation - you should be good. I doubt there is anything that you would need to complete in-person before returning on March 25. After you submit the documents, it could be days or weeks until the next steps. Next steps could include a phone interview, background/credit checks, you viewing the apartment, etc. Final step would be them sending your info packet to HPD (city agency) for review for final approval before signing your lease.

Be patient and continue to follow up with them quickly - it's a long road - but worth it. Good luck!

Old 03-07-2023, 08:04 AM

Thank you, @WildAboutHarry

Quote:
If it were me, I would want to get ahold of their fax number. They also have a physical drop box outside their office, which is where I originally submitted a paper application.
I found their fax number. The challenge might be finding a fax machine in Rio de Janeiro where I’m staying, but I’m going to try!

Quote:
I would telephone them and reference your email reply to whomever you speak with or leave voicemail saying the same. I think your immediate goal is to make contact with someone on the other end.
I just left a message. I don’t think they will answer the phone.

Quote:
Often, there is much ‘hurry up and wait’ in the situation. The deadlines might be there to get people off the fence, and not at all indicate that there is a unit available for immediate occupancy. An in person interview might not be on the i immediate horizon.
I think there likely is one unit available for immediate occupancy. The email says: “The Magellan [1] UNITS”

Quote:
It seems like your application paperwork is still going to need to sent by them to the City for approval.
Yes, it seems like that would buy me some time on my vacation to not worry about returning early, but I don’t know.

Quote:
Do you know if this building has opened and has tenants yet?
Oh yes, I think it’s probably full. The listing for the building on Street Easy says “Built in 2002.” I didn’t apply for it as a new building on Housing Connect, but as a re-rental (I believe) whose availability I discovered on another site.

Quote:
Sorry I can’t be more concrete. Best wishes on success.
No, your advice is very concrete and extremely helpful. Thank you for your generosity and good wishes.

Old 03-07-2023, 08:06 AM

@tlane11

Thank you for providing such a clear roadmap of events for me to anticipate.

Quote:
Next steps could include a phone interview, background/credit checks, you viewing the apartment, etc
So it sounds like there are no longer in-person interviews post-COVID. Is that correct?

The only one of those steps that would require me to be in town would be the apartment viewing. Do you think it’s possible that opportunity could arise before my return in 2 1/2 weeks on March 25th?

Old 03-07-2023, 09:04 AM

79 posts, read 66,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzGuy View Post
@tlane11

Thank you for providing such a clear roadmap of events for me to anticipate.

So it sounds like there are no longer in-person interviews post-COVID. Is that correct?

The only one of those steps that would require me to be in town would be the apartment viewing. Do you think it’s possible that opportunity could arise before my return in 2 1/2 weeks on March 25th?
All of my interviews were done via phone - only thing in-person was viewing the apartment and then the lease signing.

I think it's extremely unlikely that you would be viewing the apartment before March 25th. I viewed the apartment approximately 1.5 months after submitting docs (and that was considered "fast" from what I hear).

Old 03-07-2023, 09:13 AM

2,017 posts, read 1,633,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzGuy View Post
Thank you, @WildAboutHarry

No, your advice is very concrete and extremely helpful. Thank you for your generosity and good wishes.
You are welcome. I suggest getting them some documents quickly and not waiting until you have every last document ready to send them. Once they have something you both will feel better.

Some buildings will offer a unit to several people at once. The lowest log# with a complete file of documents that says ‘yes’ get the unit. So, you might not be first ranking but you are likely pretty near.

Old 03-07-2023, 10:39 AM

1,703 posts, read 1,442,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildAboutHarry View Post
Some buildings will offer a unit to several people at once. The lowest log# with a complete file of documents that says ‘yes’ get the unit. So, you might not be first ranking but you are likely pretty near.
This part isn't quite true. Completing your file first and saying "yes" first doesn't necessarily allow you to jump ahead of someone else with a lower log. The lower low person would have to either withdraw, or be rejected (due to not being eligible or missing a submission deadline) and pass their appeal deadline.

In a very basic example: Let's say logs #1 and #2 are being processed for the same available unit and each is missing 1 document to complete their file. Both are given a deadline of Friday and #2 submits the missing document and says "yes" to the unit on Tuesday. #2 doesn't just get the apartment because they completed their file and said "yes" first. Log #1 must be given time to the deadline and through the appeal deadline (if applicable) before #2 can be given the unit. The lower log person must be given the full opportunity to receive an apartment ahead of a higher log person, assuming they both qualify and meet the given deadlines.

Old 03-07-2023, 11:02 AM

@WildAboutHarry

This is what the email they sent me says:

Quote:
If you remain interested in the project, please contact us immediately (but no later than five (5) business days from the date of this notice). If we do not receive a response by Monday, March 13, 2023, we will assume you are no longer interested and your application will be considered rejected.

Once you affirm interest, a document request will be sent within 1-2 business days after the deadline.
So I sent my reply, with tracking (not yet opened), last night.

I assume that their "document request," once they send it to me, will have a link to a dropbox folder or some such thing.

But right now, without that, I'm not sure how I would get further documents to them. I'm assuming it's not possible until I hear back from them, which seems like it will be after Monday.

Unless there are some means other means that you have in mind?

Maybe I should create my own dropbox, fill it with my documents, and send them a link to that pre-emptively?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery