Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2023, 07:18 PM

20 posts, read 20,090 times

Advertisements

”Balances in specifically designated retirement funds and college savings accounts are not subject to the asset limit, but are counted toward overall assets and income from assets.”

Can someone please clarify how retirement funds not accounted to asset limit ”but are counted toward overall assets and income from assets.”

What does overall assets and income from assets refer to? is this like dividends from assets included as income?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2023, 06:23 AM

16 posts, read 21,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherguy123 View Post
”Balances in specifically designated retirement funds and college savings accounts are not subject to the asset limit, but are counted toward overall assets and income from assets.”

Can someone please clarify how retirement funds not accounted to asset limit ”but are counted toward overall assets and income from assets.”

What does overall assets and income from assets refer to? is this like dividends from assets included as income?
Overall assets include your bank accounts and taxable investment accounts. For income from assets, from my understanding, it would be interest from assets or dividends; any periodic cash payments you would receive from the asset.

Old 03-28-2023, 11:30 AM

7 posts, read 7,098 times
I dont know if this applies to you but worth a post for anyone else with questions regarding assets.
HPD/HDC Marketing: Asset Limits and Property Ownership Policies -
https://www.nyc.gov/assets/hpd/downl...rty-limits.pdf

Old 05-18-2023, 08:41 AM

14 posts, read 7,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherguy123 View Post

I don't quite understand how it works either but I noticed that on my "performance report" for my retirement account it has a column for "income returns" that twice yearly shows a credit that I believe is reinvested into the fund. I don't know if the agent will count those credits or multiply the value of the whole thing by 0.06% like it said in that Housing Connect Income Guide like someone else posted before (https://www.nychdc.com/sites/default...me%20Guide.pdf). It sounds like they use the greater figure between the two to go towards annual income but they exclude the value of the retirement account from the total assets.

What's unclear to me is if they multiply all your assets by 0.06% or just the retirement funds. I hope it's not on all assets since not all my accounts are interest bearing.

"Interest from Assets: If you go to an interview, the
people interviewing you will calculate your interest
income from assets like bank accounts and other
investments. If all of your assets are worth less than
$5,000, the interest they earn is added to your income. If
all of your assets are worth more than $5,000, either the
interest they earn or 0.06% of their value is added your
income, whichever amount is greater. "

Old 05-18-2023, 06:19 PM

3,132 posts, read 2,726,308 times
"Income returns" unfortunately are returns, even if they are immediately reinvested. Just like, e.g., dividends. However, you can, and probably should, argue that they are not regular income because they are not recurring, predictable, or guaranteed.

Old 05-18-2023, 07:21 PM

2,010 posts, read 1,628,911 times
If rejected, Appeal. Even if they are right, and there is reason to doubt that, the asset cap and AMI% are presently being adjusted.

Old 05-22-2023, 06:58 AM

7 posts, read 4,238 times
So happy I found this forum!

I am in the process of applying to one of these apartments and fear I may run into the same issue stated here re: asset limits. I have more than the asset limit for my AMI level but most is in retirement/401k.

Curious if I should 1) let things play and have my application reviewed as is, 2) transfer the non-retirement assets if rejected prior to writing and appeal, 3) contact the file analyst to ensure it's clear I am below the asset limit when you account for my retirement accounts via the "comments" section on my application or email directly.

Any advice or insight greatly appreciated!

Old 08-22-2023, 02:35 PM

1 posts, read 260 times
I just got the same rejection for exceeding income.

They took unrealized gains on my brokerage accounts annualized them and added to my income. Does not make sense to me at all. In the handbook it only mentions dividends, distributions and interest on assets.

Old 08-22-2023, 03:06 PM

2,010 posts, read 1,628,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mehdib302 View Post
I just got the same rejection for exceeding income.
I seems a mistake was made, Appeal, page 33 in the Handbook. Also, putting income from whatever source into retirement or education accounts might reduce the calculation of your income.

Also possibly useful, Asset Limits effective May 15, 2023.
https://www.nyc.gov/assets/hpd/downl...rty-limits.pdf

Useful Income Guide. See pages 7-10 the last page.
https://www.nyc.gov/assets/hpd/downl...de-english.pdf

From Page 10:
Interest from Assets: If you go to an an appointment to confirm eligibility, the developer or marketing agent will calculate your interest income from assets like bank accounts and other investments. If all of your assets are worth less than $5,000, the interest they earn is added to your income. If all of your assets are worth more than $5,000, either the interest they earn or 0.06% of their value is added your income, whichever amount is greater.

Last edited by WildAboutHarry; 08-22-2023 at 03:14 PM..

Old 08-22-2023, 05:00 PM

3,132 posts, read 2,726,308 times
I wonder if this is the same idiot screwing it up in both cases. Which agency?

Unrealized gains should not be counted. I went through this process multiple times and they never counted against my income.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
View detailed profiles of: