Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2023, 12:36 PM

250 posts, read 251,140 times

Advertisements

I was considering it, but I don’t think I will be after looking at some reviews. I’m just curious has anyone else used something like this before (ex: Acceptance Now)? If so, what was your experience?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2023, 02:35 PM

31 posts, read 34,593 times
I had a family member do that and it cost more, try to see if you can do Afterpay

Old 04-04-2023, 03:03 PM

9 posts, read 4,760 times
Most furniture stores allow you to do payment plans with them without having a credit card.

Like they will let you finance your furniture for 12months or 24 months with no interest maybe you should try to do it that way.

Old 04-04-2023, 03:47 PM

2,035 posts, read 1,653,205 times
Ask friends and family if they have furniture they might sell cheaply or give you. Some people have things in closets they have forgotten about or they are ready to buy new things.

Housing Works Thrift shops support that charity. There are several of them in Manhattan. The first time you visit a store there might not be anything that suits you but try back again.

If you put in time, you can find good things second hand, or just temporary things. Check in the area you are moving to. Craig’s list online and charity shops, and so on.

Read some articles about second hand furniture to learn more. You might want to avoid upholstered furniture that smells from pets and smoke.

Also, if you are moving to a large building that has market rate tenants you can expect that people will move out from time to time and will not keep all their furniture. Ask if tenants might be selling anything.

Folding chairs and folding tables are good and you can see how well they fit. Folding tables come in many sizes and height, and some are low priced. If you put a table cloth over the table it can improve the look. It’s a less expensive way to try out what is the right size for your spaces.

When the end of the university semester ends in May and June lots of students move. You can look onllne for postings.2

Old 04-04-2023, 04:00 PM

118 posts, read 47,945 times
depending on your credit you are better off getting a small loan or getting a credit card with no interest for a year or more ,

also for freebies, follow this page on instagram: stoopingnyc amazing the good things people get rid off

Old 04-04-2023, 04:48 PM

31,927 posts, read 27,017,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ispynyc View Post
I was considering it, but I don’t think I will be after looking at some reviews. I’m just curious has anyone else used something like this before (ex: Acceptance Now)? If so, what was your experience?
Renting to own anything usually is not a good idea. Depending upon APR charged and other terms you'll often end up paying far more for than otherwise would.

Depending upon one's credit score retail (store) charge account might be a better option if cannot obtain or use regular CCs.

Check Goodwill, Salvation Army and other places for cheap furniture. Then there is always CL, FB and other online options for free or cheap stuff.

Old 04-05-2023, 09:33 AM

173 posts, read 156,209 times
Join your local “ Buy nothing “ group on Facebook!!!! Just add the title and what neighborhood you live in !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery