Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2023, 11:57 AM

5 posts, read 3,471 times

Advertisements

Greetings! Maybe someone can help out with these two questions.
I've been trying to reach HPD to no avail.
I have finally, after 20 years(!!) gotten offered an apartment in my very own neighborhood in Brooklyn, we are so very excited - I am mid application.
These are my questions, if you have any insight or experience with the following, much appreciated:

1) Regarding primary residence; I have a seasonal business in Upstate NY (3 summer months). This is also where my car is registered, and the only place I use it - I know legally in New York state, I can have my driver's license in the city and register the car elsewhere, and have been doing that for a number of years, all is up and up with my insurance, and the car stays there. For primary residence Mitchell lama has said that all this should be at the apartment- as the car will not be there, this will be a huge expense. Anyone have any experience with this?

2) when I applied, I was single, now I am married. The apartment says as far as now, I may be the only lease (share) holder, though they are checking with some authorities. I will be applying with him also as a resident, and submitting all his info as well as my own (ie: combined income is not an issue).
If I AM the only shareholder, I know my husband can apply for succession after two years- but this does not add him as a shareholder, right? Is there a way to add him as a shareholder later, or is this the only time. As far as I understand, succession is if I leave.. thoughts, experience?

Last edited by RittyDee; 04-26-2023 at 12:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2023, 12:37 PM

2,077 posts, read 1,693,485 times
Rules, unofficial
https://www.nyc.gov/assets/hpd/downl...lama-rules.pdf

Old 04-27-2023, 12:38 PM

42 posts, read 65,518 times
Hi,

I just got my Mitchell Lama in Cadman Towers in Bk Heights, be careful if you put your husband on the initial application and your combined income is over the max income, hpd will probably reject your application. Once you are in initially, you can add him later on and then pay the maintenance surcharge. I don't think there is a way to add him as a shareholder but not sure about that.

As far as the car, I don't see how or why anyone would care except for your car insurance company where your car is registered.

Old 04-27-2023, 03:32 PM

5 posts, read 3,471 times
Thank you @Anxiously_waiting_ml

No worry about being over income at this point. What is a maintenance surcharge, is it a monthly or a one time fee?

Old 04-27-2023, 07:27 PM

42 posts, read 65,518 times
Monthly, if combined you make way over the income limit, the most you will be charged is 50% of the maintenance fee.

Old Today, 07:10 PM

1 posts
I
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery