Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2023, 06:23 PM

31,912 posts, read 26,999,286 times

Advertisements

This is going to be so good watching how city handles this lawsuit. More interesting to see what happens when they (likely) loose and forced to drop CB preferences for affordable housing lotteries.

https://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs...ottery-lawsuit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2023, 08:07 PM

105 posts, read 88,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
This is going to be so good watching how city handles this lawsuit. More interesting to see what happens when they (likely) loose and forced to drop CB preferences for affordable housing lotteries.

https://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs...ottery-lawsuit
Lol if community preference is dropped from all the lotteries that will be another issue. On one hand I’d have a much better chance at so many lotteries, on the other hand I see people not being able to stay in their neighborhoods.

Old 05-23-2023, 08:07 PM

347 posts, read 357,726 times
I've been waiting for CB pref units in my area (Manhattan 8) for years. Now, what will likely happen is when they finally offer a lottery here, the CB pref will be gone and I'll still be waiting.

Old 05-23-2023, 10:31 PM

31,912 posts, read 26,999,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheaterFan View Post
I've been waiting for CB pref units in my area (Manhattan 8) for years. Now, what will likely happen is when they finally offer a lottery here, the CB pref will be gone and I'll still be waiting.
There have been a few lotteries for "affordable" or "low income" housing on UES/Community Board 8.

One main issue is developers can often build as of right, so they don't have to ask city for anything thus invoke inclusionary or mandatory affordability zoning.

Second thing is bulk of new construction on UES has been condos which have sold *very* well.

Finally get rid of CB preference and you're not going to see much if any "affordable" or "low income" housing built in Manhattan below 96th street in future. Neighborhood residents won't stand for zoning changes that allow taller buildings which is the trade off for lottery apartments if there's nothing in it for them. Many sure as he** don't want a ton of low income housing on their blocks and will make this clear to local council member.

Old 05-23-2023, 11:05 PM

213 posts, read 216,582 times
i am not going to lie.... i know people who live in nice areas benefit from this, being able to luxury hop "i'm not hating!" but it is unfair when there are under delveloped areas across NYC that NEVER get a luxury building built .... giving new yorkers a unfair chance when CB takes up half the units and sometimes the most affordable units! i think CB should be done with ... my opinion.

Old 05-24-2023, 03:36 AM

268 posts, read 305,779 times
I don’t think this is a CB issue.. I think it’s more of an AMI issue..

Old 05-24-2023, 05:38 AM

2,179 posts, read 1,864,622 times
Yeah - though I live in what I personally consider an ideal CB (CB2) for what I wanted, i.e convenience, this has never really been an advantage for me, except for 200 Montague Street, which is pretty recent.

I think what worked for me was my AMI 130% and even that is a sh*t show now with the close to and over 3K for rent.

Old 05-24-2023, 08:02 AM

300 posts, read 213,276 times
I think that something should be done to make it a more fair process because I live in a CB where lottery buildings are never built and I never receive a preference.

Old 05-24-2023, 09:58 AM

7,906 posts, read 7,893,417 times
which one of you brought this lawsuit? maaan tf?

Old 05-24-2023, 10:05 AM

2,179 posts, read 1,864,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
which one of you brought this lawsuit? maaan tf?
Have me laughing every time
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
View detailed profiles of: