Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2023, 03:24 PM

23 posts, read 8,938 times

Advertisements

I asked her If I could be put on the waitlist for an 100% AMI apartment and she told me and I quote

" Hi Amina. I understand the rent might be a bit high , kindly withdraw your application on housing connect. We wish you all the luck in seeking an apartment, and appreciate your patience during the process. "
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2023, 03:47 PM

101 posts, read 88,320 times
Tangentially related to OP, has anyone successfully negotiated the HC monthly rent down (not referring to lease concessions such as free months rent)?

Old 08-22-2023, 04:14 PM

172 posts, read 246,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mynahope View Post
I asked her If I could be put on the waitlist for an 100% AMI apartment and she told me and I quote

" Hi Amina. I understand the rent might be a bit high , kindly withdraw your application on housing connect. We wish you all the luck in seeking an apartment, and appreciate your patience during the process. "
Don’t withdraw on the site! Very weird that they would ask you to do that and everything else that’s going on.

Old 08-22-2023, 04:16 PM

172 posts, read 246,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nylkoorb View Post
Tangentially related to OP, has anyone successfully negotiated the HC monthly rent down (not referring to lease concessions such as free months rent)?
I don’t believe that is an option. It’s a lottery, you see the rent listed and if your ok with it you apply.

Old 08-22-2023, 04:24 PM

254 posts, read 226,501 times
I hope she didn’t withdrew her application let it go through the process and see the rent you will pay upon signing your lease at that time if it’s really $2500 then you can back out at that time

Old 08-22-2023, 04:32 PM

347 posts, read 360,408 times
If this is Archer Green, it's a re-rental.

Old 08-22-2023, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by namebyuser View Post
Don’t withdraw on the site! Very weird that they would ask you to do that and everything else that’s going on.
Right?! I absolutely am not withdrawing just yet.

Old 08-22-2023, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheaterFan View Post
If this is Archer Green, it's a re-rental.
Question- For the re-rentals do they not abide by the income brackets and rent amounts on the HC Website? Also, shouldn't the rent be a certain percentage of your income across the board. I may be misunderstanding this process

Old 08-22-2023, 04:46 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,752,644 times
There's no way the HC rent increased $600 year-over-year. That's a 30% jump! (Thus impossible starting from the original rents with just rent-stabilized increases, meaning not a re-rental.) And more than all but the 130% 3-beds in the listing. Something has gone badly wrong here. Don't withdraw your application. Go through with it. Contact HPD at the same time.

This is supposedly a 100% affordable building. It's unclear whether there were any non-lottery units (351 units in the lottery but I see some mentions of 387 units total), in which case the rent might be income-based in some weird way, but that does not seem typical (I would've thought they'd be former-homeless setasides). Also that should have been explained to you. I can't see anything on the Internet that's relevant.

Don't withdraw!!! Keep your hopes tightly in check, but don't withdraw until you get an explanation. And please keep us up to date. Future applicants will benefit greatly from reading your story someday.

Old 08-22-2023, 04:49 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,752,644 times
The rent is fixed for any given bracket. E.g., if you earn $30K-$50K, your rent will be $xxx regardless of where you fall in that bracket.

Since these units are rent-stabilized, re-rentals should be based on the original rent + the legal permitted increases. This building only opened in early 2022 (looks like?), so even assuming somehow there have been *two* tenants in that time I don't see how you get above a 10% increase on the base rent, and that's being generous because I'm too damn lazy to do the actual math.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
View detailed profiles of: