Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2023, 08:12 AM

250 posts, read 249,910 times

Advertisements

I know that there are some that don’t. I also feel like access to roof tops should be free / included in the rent… I love my building, but the amenity fee charges are a little ridiculous, especially for the amenities we have.

Also, there’s a lot of events that happen in the building (including a trick or treating event) and if we don’t pay for the amenity membership, we can’t participate. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2023, 09:07 AM

7,903 posts, read 7,875,928 times
i disagree. a fee should be charged. if its free, it welcomes ratchet in with open arms. + they have costs to operate and replenish

Old 10-07-2023, 09:59 AM

2,005 posts, read 1,626,371 times
If a fee is charged, even a small one there are some good features. A resident named ‘Smokey’ pays the $1 per month amenities fee. A terrace is among the amenities. No smoking is allowed on the terrace signs posted there say so, and the user agreement states no smoking on the terrace. ‘Smokey’ does not obey the rules. ‘Smokey’s” amenities privileges can be easily revoked. The relationship between users and the amenities has clear definitions including a fee of $1. The relationship can be defined including grounds for cancellation.

Lottery applicants don’t fall in love with amenities. It not my guess that they are regulated or required in anyway by the various rules of affordable housing development. Some buildings have many amenities others none. The government seems to be with regulated rents or purchase price of the unit. Presumably amenity fee are a decision for management and independent of affordable housing regulations. Consider parking.

I move into an affordable unit in a new building with rent of $1000. I take the option of a parking space for $100 a month. It’s mandatory that I am offered a lease renewal. And the maximum % of rent increase is regulated. However, when my parking agreement ends, I don’t think the government requires that it be renewed at all. Perhaps after two years, building management decides to build a new building where the parking lot is. Or if parking is still available when my parking agreement ends, they might decide to double the fee. I don’t think the government is concern with the price of parking at my affordable housing building unless commitments were made about parking there.

Old 10-07-2023, 10:02 AM

411 posts, read 227,860 times
Not only does my building charge a reasonable fee, they don't allow you to go month to month or do temporary stops. Imagine how the spaces would be abused if there was no filter? Even now, we hire security on July 4th and New Years to make sure the roof doesn't go above capacity.

Old 10-07-2023, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
i disagree. a fee should be charged. if its free, it welcomes ratchet in with open arms. + they have costs to operate and replenish
I can see that happening. But this building charges $75 a month for amenities .. and the pool definitely was ratchet when it was open lol a lot of tenants were also bringing in more than the allowed amount of guests. So the pool was getting extremely packed and they had more outsiders than actual tenants using the pools. It was dirty, sexual acts were going on too to the point management had to send out emails. It really depends

Old 10-07-2023, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7continents View Post
Not only does my building charge a reasonable fee, they don't allow you to go month to month or do temporary stops. Imagine how the spaces would be abused if there was no filter? Even now, we hire security on July 4th and New Years to make sure the roof doesn't go above capacity.
My building doesn’t allow temporary stops either and there’s already a lot of complaints among the tenants about that. Even market rate ones are complaining

Old 10-07-2023, 12:56 PM

9 posts, read 3,576 times
The amenities fee was waived for my 2-year lease

Old 10-07-2023, 01:05 PM

290 posts, read 319,808 times
Amenities are free in my building.

Old 10-07-2023, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceebvndy View Post
Amenities are free in my building.
What borough if you don’t mind me asking?

Old 10-07-2023, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCSummerLover View Post
The amenities fee was waived for my 2-year lease
I signed a two year lease as welll but wasn’t offered that. Congrats! What borough is that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery