Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2023, 07:41 PM

48 posts, read 45,196 times

Advertisements

Hey, has anyone else noticed that finding affordable housing on Housing Connect isn't as easy as it used to be? It seems like all the cool places in nice neighborhoods are geared towards higher income brackets. Wasn't the whole idea behind the city's housing efforts to make it more affordable for us? It's frustrating because it feels like there are fewer good choices on Housing Connect these days. And don't even get me started on Manhattan – barely any lotteries, and when I do enter, I get an insanely high log number or the AMI is 100+.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2023, 09:54 PM

3,144 posts, read 2,737,191 times
It's a frustrating process, to be sure, but there's actually less available for higher brackets than there used to be. Barring the stray grandfathered project, the 160% AMI bracket is gone.

Old 12-27-2023, 07:54 AM

172 posts, read 130,246 times
I agree. All the buildings in my CB either don’t have CB preference or if they do it’s geared towards higher income brackets. & even the rent they are asking for from those income brackets are ridiculous. I understand it is a lottery, but it is frustrating, and I’m not too far from just throwing the towel in.

Old 12-27-2023, 08:41 AM

62 posts, read 45,099 times
I’m in the 130% AMI and have been applying for 5 years to no avail

Old 12-27-2023, 08:59 AM

36 posts, read 36,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rarebeauty View Post
Hey, has anyone else noticed that finding affordable housing on Housing Connect isn't as easy as it used to be? It seems like all the cool places in nice neighborhoods are geared towards higher income brackets. Wasn't the whole idea behind the city's housing efforts to make it more affordable for us? It's frustrating because it feels like there are fewer good choices on Housing Connect these days. And don't even get me started on Manhattan – barely any lotteries, and when I do enter, I get an insanely high log number or the AMI is 100+.
insane Your right to a degree it seems like 60 percent of the apartments they show are mostly high ami apartments. Its gonna be hard to get a apartment in a nice area, because those apartments are gonna have high ami, and a few low ami , and your gonna be comepeting with thousands. And yes log numbers is a roll of the dice its random, i did literally 58 lotteries since the past 14 months and most are from 20xxx-95xxx logs a few hit the 12xxx and 3xxx but thats not enough to get i call up for documents.

Old 12-27-2023, 09:18 AM

88 posts, read 54,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rarebeauty View Post
I'm 70-80% (and 100-130% in some instances) AMI and the more recent manhattan lotteries and waitlists have income caps BELOW mine. I think in the past, HC geared more toward the higher AMI's, but they have gotten better over the years. I used to only qualify for one or two lotteries per year, but that is no longer the case. I also think the fact that the AMI changes to reflect current earnings helps. Overall, I think they are headed towards having a better mix of incomes. I'm also seeing that one development could have AMI's as low as 40 and as high as 130%, which is nice and covers a wide range of folks.

Old 12-27-2023, 10:25 AM

416 posts, read 230,706 times
I can tell you a sh__ ton of apartments are being built in my neighborhood. I'm sure you'll be seeing a lot of new developments available prob starting the end of next summer.

Old 12-27-2023, 01:35 PM

48 posts, read 45,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7continents View Post
I can tell you a sh__ ton of apartments are being built in my neighborhood. I'm sure you'll be seeing a lot of new developments available prob starting the end of next summer.
what borough do you live in?

Old 12-27-2023, 01:37 PM

182 posts, read 123,886 times
keep applying and stay hopeful, a good tip that i learned is to NEVER withdraw a application ! you never know a year or two later the same lottery could be up to the 10,000's . I used to withdraw if my log # reached over 15k but sometimes you luck out! best wishes

Old 12-28-2023, 07:35 AM

394 posts, read 571,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by affordablekeisha View Post
keep applying and stay hopeful, a good tip that i learned is to NEVER withdraw a application ! you never know a year or two later the same lottery could be up to the 10,000's . I used to withdraw if my log # reached over 15k but sometimes you luck out! best wishes
I use to think like this but I’ve noticed that the lottery would move to pending and stay pending for one year then two years and eventually change status to no more units available. I thought the whole idea was to stay in the running whenever someone moves out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery