Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 09:41 PM

2 posts, read 56,271 times

Advertisements

Thanks alot Rose! I think I know what to do now
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2009, 11:21 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,364,775 times
Wow I am amazed and would love to learn more about the New York Apartment situation. Out here in Califoirnia you can get a place within a day or two it seems. Why does it take so long to get a place in New York City? As a west coast guy I am not too informed about the NYC area. I always learn so much from each of you though.

Old 01-08-2010, 03:32 AM

3 posts, read 15,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Wow I am amazed and would love to learn more about the New York Apartment situation. Out here in Califoirnia you can get a place within a day or two it seems. Why does it take so long to get a place in New York City? As a west coast guy I am not too informed about the NYC area. I always learn so much from each of you though.
Hey.. You can get apartments over here in NYC like you said in a day or two but those are at the going market rate. What they are referring to in this thread are housing lottery apartments, which in essence is getting what would normally be an expensive apartment at a significantly reduced rate. There are a lot of requirements that need to be met and a large number of people apply, that's part of the reason the process takes so long. Another reason is that some of the buildings people are applying for are still under construction during the whole process.

Old 03-21-2010, 10:57 PM

1 posts, read 13,717 times
I just got a letter regard winning housing lottery in Clinton two weeks ago. Now that I have all required documentations ready and going to interview in two days, I found out that they will only rent the apartment to me with low market rated for 15 years. Is this true for everyone? Anyone has idea why they have to do that? Also, about how long should I wait before I can actually move in? thanks everyone for the advice!

Old 03-21-2010, 11:36 PM

1,016 posts, read 1,940,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
this is about apt for middle or low income people that you KNOCKED on the california board...claiming you are annoyed of people who get section 8 and they should get a job so your tax dollars will not have to help support them...dont think you woould FIT IN with this type of housing since poor and middle income and disable are BELOW YOU!

Old 03-22-2010, 01:33 PM

4 posts, read 35,795 times
Default Advice PLEASE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC_Rose View Post
I won the housing lottery for an apartment in Clinton that I sumbited for for a year and a half ago. I got the notice informing me I was chosen back in July. I was sent an appointment date and a list of items to gather (long list).

I provided all the documentation they requested including tax returns, birth cert, utility bills, work/landlord ref, first born child, ect...

All docs were in good order and the person conducting the final interview said it might take an additional 2 months before i would be given the apartment as the info she gathered was to be sent to the property manager of the new building for review.

It has now been a little over two months since my final interview and i have not heard anything from anyone regarding the apartment.

Is this normal? will i get a letter of some sort? Can they decide not to choose me after all? if they don't choose me will they let me know?

Please help...
Rose, first of all, Congrads on winning the housing lottery. I also apply for the Clinton lottery last year and of course haven't heard a word yet... (probably not as lucky as you are). I am wondering if you can list the list of required documentations when they offer you the interview. I heard it is a long and complicate list. Just wanna get some sort of idea what they are looking for... (for future reference. Hey afterall, we all have to look at the bright side and believe we will be luckily selected)...

Thanks in advance! If anyone else know, please shared. THANKSSSS!

Old 04-10-2010, 11:54 PM

1 posts, read 13,531 times
Hi Rose,

I think I really need your help.
Recently, I have received an office interview appointment letter but I don't have all the documents that they request for, such as 2006 W-2s, Tax Returns, current lease, 6 months of most rent bills and 3 months' most recent utility bills. Would that be a big trouble for me?

Old 04-15-2010, 05:11 PM

56 posts, read 129,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAINING00 View Post
Rose, first of all, Congrads on winning the housing lottery. I also apply for the Clinton lottery last year and of course haven't heard a word yet... (probably not as lucky as you are). I am wondering if you can list the list of required documentations when they offer you the interview. I heard it is a long and complicate list. Just wanna get some sort of idea what they are looking for... (for future reference. Hey afterall, we all have to look at the bright side and believe we will be luckily selected)...

Hi i applied for the apartments on clinton 10/20/2009, they called for an interview 3/9/2010. i was approved 4/1/10, i am going to view the apartment 4/16/2010. I keep u updated.

Old 04-15-2010, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAINING00 View Post

They asked for 2006-2009 W2
6months pay stubs
3 months utilities
6 months void cheques
6 months active checking saving account.
if you money besides checking & saving
credit check
employment verification present & past
if you have life insurance.
filed for bankrutpcy

Old 04-15-2010, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lywlynn View Post
I just got a letter regard winning housing lottery in Clinton two weeks ago. Now that I have all required documentations ready and going to interview in two days, I found out that they will only rent the apartment to me with low market rated for 15 years. Is this true for everyone? Anyone has idea why they have to do that? Also, about how long should I wait before I can actually move in? thanks everyone for the advice!
after they approved you the city has to approve the apartment. it took me 7 days, they approved for the Clinton apartment,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery