Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 06:59 AM

13 posts, read 86,262 times

Advertisements

Well, i got denied because I'm over and under the income for my family size. They had two different income brackets for 3 bedrooms. I guess I'll just have to keep applying.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2011, 02:14 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,591,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSLINDA12 View Post
Well, i got denied because I'm over and under the income for my family size. They had two different income brackets for 3 bedrooms. I guess I'll just have to keep applying.....
Mrs. Linda, you have the right attitude of keep trying. There are other City programs that aren't well known such as LAMP, New HOP, etc:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/17413428-post25.html

For application instructions, go to http://www.nychdc.com/ApartmentSeekers/apartmentseekersindex.html (broken link)

Old 03-23-2011, 10:31 PM

1 posts, read 7,296 times
Hi all I hope by this time you all got in!
I applied to one and after 6months of applying to 6 I called back to one. I went to 4 interviews with them. What ppl fail to realize is when you are there they are sdcretly watching you and your family. If they see that your kids are too roudy they disqualify you. Also they check how you dress n stuff. The reason y I know is cuz the lady left her things open and when she left the room I read what she wrote!! Crazy I know!!

Also the last interview is when they go to your home and see if you really live there!! Once your done with that you for 2 weeks and they will call you or send you a letter in the mail! If they call you than you got the apt!! In my luck I got in after 6 months!

The lady said it had a lot to do with the fact that I'm young, single and have a city job!!

It sucks for those who have families!!

NYC rose I hope you got called cuz usually the waiting list is 2yrs-never. They make it so hard to get in!

Tannanis, it will be best if you had included your husband even if you guys don't live together bc you have a joint income tax! They make things really difficult

Hope you both got in!!

Old 07-13-2011, 03:31 PM

2 posts, read 17,185 times
The interviewers of LAMP and New Hope are just acting like robots. They apply the technics that they have been taught to use. I believe that with their knowledges and experiences, they are supposed to improve the system based on different cases or situation that they encounter in every day interview. Moreover, they pursuit personal interest by helping some people in order to get in the program. If you don't know anybody in the system and you have an interview, they will keep rolling you around for months till they find a little mistake so you could get rejected. I have been interviewed three times for one project (New Hope) within 3 months period of time and they come up with three different results. 1- Under income, 2- Meet income, 3- Over income. The system need to be improved so the right people get their shares. It is a mess.... Some of the interviewers behave like they are the owners of the buildings.... I will keep it short: If these people cannot report what they see and make their judgement about how the interview procedures need to be enhanced, I believe that New York City Housing Development Corporation hires the wrong people at the wrong post with the wrong attitude and behavior.

Old 07-14-2011, 08:39 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
Quote:
Well, i got denied because I'm over and under the income for my family size.
Gosh, over AND under...I didn't think that was possible. Usually there's overlap and you fit one bracket or the other.

Old 03-26-2012, 06:14 PM

6 posts, read 88,585 times
I received a letter for an interview for a lottery apartment on March 23 which I attended and submitted all required documentation. I have a few questions as I am not familiar with the process.

1) I meet the income eligibiity requirements and an income verification has been completed (saw the inquiry on my credit report) but will an old judgment (an eviction from 2006), which no longer appears on my credit report come up in a background check?

2) I was asked to provide my life insurance policy (considered an asset) but accidently forgot to submit a policy that I have for my 6 y/o child. Will that pose a problem?

3) I was asked to submit child support records. Although there's a court order, I'm owed serious arrears - 12K, and the payments are sporatic at best - $125 wkly) Why should this factor into income when they can clearly see that I don't receive them often?

4) Is it true that they conduct home visits? If so, I may have an issue bc I have to vacate my current apt by 4/30 due to the primary tenant (relative) not renewing the lease. I am not the leaseholder.

I have a lot of concerns during this process, so any responses will be greatly appreciated.

Old 04-04-2012, 12:26 PM

140 posts, read 395,575 times
@WestTerrace- You should call the person that is covering oyur case and let them know about the policy you have for your kid. Hopefully it wasn't sent out to the city already and you can submit the paperwork. They usually hold the applications and send it in a bacth to the city for verification but at least give the interviewer a heads up so she knows what to do. The eviction might show up in your background check from the city because they specifically look into if aperson has ever been evicted or went to court for rent for any reason.. But hopefully they look pass it or it was completely deleted but that may cause a problem.. Child supprt factors in becsue it is mandatory and even if you pay it sporadically, they have to go EXACTLY by the guidelines and report whatever is on the paper. Home visits are conducted for certain lotteries. Depends on which building you applied for. Some buildings require it but if you have to vacate, just explain that to your interviewer as well and if the home visit is required after 4/30, have them visit wherever you are staying. Even if it is on a friend's couch.. You'll just have to update your info and probably get a notarized letter from who you are residing with that you just moved in (and staying on their couch.. etc). Basically, as long as you explain, in detail, everything to your interviewer, you should be fine.

Good luck!!

Old 04-04-2012, 07:26 PM

26 posts, read 51,629 times
You will get a letter letting you know your move in date.
Start putting the monies aside to do the move. [rent u-haul or the neighborhood guys truck buy incidentals for packing up and start collecting boxes from the grocery store etc.] If there is a conflict and you cannot move in on that day let them know the next best day so they can put it on the calendar so maintenance will know to make provisions of convenience to accommodate you.

Old 11-03-2013, 07:47 PM

1 posts, read 5,137 times
I when on my interview on 10/12/12, and was told that I meet the income guideline of a 2 bedroom and was told that since I work for the city I have preference, it's now 11/103/13 and I have not heard from them and I saw people moving in, does any one know how long They take to let you know if you are approved, am going crazy because me and my daughter bouncing around, thank lady vee.

Old 12-18-2013, 06:57 PM

1 posts, read 5,070 times
Any one have suggestions regarding a denial based on more than one application from a single household, when in fact the applications were submitted prior to marriage and the joining of households. two separate applications, from two separate locations, from two different applicants. One applicant was called on to start the application process and made them aware of the change in martial status, they proceeded with the application anyway, we submitted all documentation they required, they even took us to choose an apartment, which we did. Now they send a denial based on two applications submitted, the West 45th street lottery management company Halstead now says the decision came from the city and could do nothing but call 311.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery