Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 10:34 AM

38 posts, read 342,972 times

Advertisements

I won the housing lottery for an apartment in Clinton that I sumbited for for a year and a half ago. I got the notice informing me I was chosen back in July. I was sent an appointment date and a list of items to gather (long list).

I provided all the documentation they requested including tax returns, birth cert, utility bills, work/landlord ref, first born child, ect...

All docs were in good order and the person conducting the final interview said it might take an additional 2 months before i would be given the apartment as the info she gathered was to be sent to the property manager of the new building for review.

It has now been a little over two months since my final interview and i have not heard anything from anyone regarding the apartment.

Is this normal? will i get a letter of some sort? Can they decide not to choose me after all? if they don't choose me will they let me know?

Please help...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2009, 11:00 AM

34,104 posts, read 47,323,258 times
give them a call and ask them for the status....and congratulations...sometimes you have to be a little ascertive to get what you want.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 11-27-2009, 11:26 AM

they never gave me a phone number, only a letters with the address, time, and date of the appointment. (

Old 11-28-2009, 06:34 AM

943 posts, read 4,259,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC_Rose View Post
they never gave me a phone number, only a letters with the address, time, and date of the appointment. (
Congrats Rose, I would drop by and ask. It sounds really important to you why not. I asked this question on another thread, maybe you know or could find out at some point during the process (after you take care of your own business of course). When people win the lottery and are accepted for an apartment, what happens if their income exceeds the apartment limits at some point?

Old 11-30-2009, 09:06 AM

Once the lease is signed, sealed and delivered, it does not matter if you income goes up after that.
There is one EXCEPTIOM, you cannot have additional income in the form of a roommate for 12 months after you sign your lease. If you do, they can take the apartment away from you. In other words, only the specific amount of people on the original application can live there, otherwise your apartment can be revoked.

Old 12-02-2009, 01:43 PM

ok, so i pulled all my info (since I'm stressing out) and the documents say that if i had been disqualified, i would've received a letter. now i feel a little better but i'm still worried that my info might've gotten lost in the shuffle.
I have not choice but to wait it out. If anyone has been through this process and can give me any words of wisdom i would appreciate it. thanks

Old 12-12-2009, 09:50 AM

update: For those of you that took the time to reply to my posts - Thank you!!! I got a letter in the mail yesterday December 11 stating that while my application was fully approved, they have no more apartments available and my name will be placed on a waiting list.
Needless to say I am very sad and dissapointed. I've waited for over 3 months since my interview and a year and a half since I applied.
I can't help but feel as though some of the posts i've read about there not really being any apartments is true. i will try not to be negative and wait and see what the future brings. maybe i will get a call....

Again, thank you all for your support and if i can help anyone in the future with my experience i will happy to do so. ask away!

Old 12-12-2009, 10:27 AM

5 posts, read 105,595 times
hey what complex was that for? how many bedrooms did you applied for? how many interviews you went?

Old 12-16-2009, 11:50 PM

2 posts, read 56,269 times
Default I wish you can help me!

Hi Rose, I just read what you wrote and I think I should ask you for help

1) I just received the letter saying my household met the guidelines for income eligibity. It has an interview date with a long list of things to bring.
Does this mean we won the housing lottery?

2) It's been a year since we applied. Our household has 4 people (3 adults and 1 child= My little sister, my parents and me) so our household income= 3 adults income. However, I've married to my boyfriend but not living together, and we are not planning to live together yet for financial concern. Because we were married, so we had to file tax return together. The reason I tell you all this is because I put my income to part of my parents' household income (because I am still living and will live with them if we won the housing lottery). But I didn't put my boyfriend/husband's name on the application.
So when we go to the interview, is my situation going to affect the income and the whole appliacation process?
Will they think we lied to them, because I filed tax return with someone who don't have a name on the application?

3) I've been lay off by the previous job when I did the application. Then I got a new job just this month with less hour and less income. When I re
Will they reject my application because of this?

Mod cut: it's not wise to post your email address. Ask to have DMs sent to you.
I know I got long questions. But please help! 1000 thanks!

Replying:
"
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC_Rose View Post
update: For those of you that took the time to reply to my posts - Thank you!!! I got a letter in the mail yesterday December 11 stating that while my application was fully approved, they have no more apartments available and my name will be placed on a waiting list.
Needless to say I am very sad and dissapointed. I've waited for over 3 months since my interview and a year and a half since I applied.
I can't help but feel as though some of the posts i've read about there not really being any apartments is true. i will try not to be negative and wait and see what the future brings. maybe i will get a call....

Again, thank you all for your support and if i can help anyone in the future with my experience i will happy to do so. ask away!
"

Last edited by Viralmd; 12-17-2009 at 05:43 AM..

Old 12-17-2009, 12:16 PM

Tan,

Yes, you won the lottery, BUT if at the time of your application you don't meet the income requirments then they can disqualify you. They can also disqualify you if they feel that you were not truthful on your application. The fact that you are married and filing taxes together is enough for someone to reasonably assume that you live together. if you explain that you live apart for financial reasons they might assume that there is something fraudulent going for the purposes of getting into a housing program OR marriage of convenience, both of which could be grounds for disqualification.

you're in a tight spot but with enough evidence and preparation you might be able to pull it off. If your and your husband indeed live apart then you can provide both sets of apartment lease's and utility bills in eachothers names so the person reviewing your file can see that you do infact live apart (lease, coned bills, cell phone, bank stmts, ect...)
Make sure you get every document that is requested of you on the letter your received. make copies of everything, organize it all, check it a few times, and when you submit it make sure you don't miss anything.

good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery