Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2010, 05:00 PM

7 posts, read 10,081 times

Advertisements

I am a Native New Yorker living in the Atlanta area since 1998 and had been working as a contractor at Coke before they decided to outsource their AP dept to India. Since I was laid off I have been unable to find employment down here and want to go back to my hometown. I would appreciate any help that I can get on any job leads in the Accounting field of which I have 20+ years experience in.

I am drawing unemployment at the moment and also need some resources on locating an affordable 3bd rm apt. I own a vehicle but am also no stranger to mass transit.

Thanks in advance for any help or guidance anyone can give.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2010, 07:36 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,342,923 times
What's your neighborhood wish list? Do you have any areas in mind? Be forewarned, The NYC you left in '98 is nothing like 2010. Prices have tripled.

Old 06-11-2010, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgrl View Post
What's your neighborhood wish list? Do you have any areas in mind? Be forewarned, The NYC you left in '98 is nothing like 2010. Prices have tripled.
Really wanting to stay in queens if possible but am flexible. I was raised in Cambria Heights and was bused to school in Bayside as a kid. Basically where ever I can find safe, affordable housing.

Old 06-11-2010, 08:05 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,342,923 times
I grew up in Laurelton. Welcome back. I don't know your budget but maybe the Holliswood, Fresh Meadows or Oakland Gardens areas would work for you. Near parks, safe, good schools, not nearly as expensive as Brooklyn or Queens neighborhoods that are closer to Manhattan.

Old 06-11-2010, 09:37 PM

1,138 posts, read 3,283,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadyForANewStart View Post
I am a Native New Yorker living in the Atlanta area since 1998 and had been working as a contractor at Coke before they decided to outsource their AP dept to India. Since I was laid off I have been unable to find employment down here and want to go back to my hometown. I would appreciate any help that I can get on any job leads in the Accounting field of which I have 20+ years experience in.

I am drawing unemployment at the moment and also need some resources on locating an affordable 3bd rm apt. I own a vehicle but am also no stranger to mass transit.

Thanks in advance for any help or guidance anyone can give.
Well...NYC has a lot of Accounting jobs, but just be ready for a lot of competition. I think your exp. will def land you interviews, but a lot companies these days are looking for the cheapest labor and not necessarily the most talented. These are just my observations.

As far as where to live...if you still wanna mess with SE Queens I think you could find something nice off of Hillside Ave around Parsons Blvd for like $1300-1500 a month...A lot of the apartments I see over there are new construction too.

Old 06-11-2010, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorofnyc View Post
Well...NYC has a lot of Accounting jobs, but just be ready for a lot of competition. I think your exp. will def land you interviews, but a lot companies these days are looking for the cheapest labor and not necessarily the most talented. These are just my observations.

As far as where to live...if you still wanna mess with SE Queens I think you could find something nice off of Hillside Ave around Parsons Blvd for like $1300-1500 a month...A lot of the apartments I see over there are new construction too.
Thanks Mayor, now my next question is whether or not there are any affordable extended stays I can be at while I look for housing up there or can I do the paperwork for apartments from out of state. Also, how can I get my foot in the door. Can you recommend the staffing services that companies are using? Thanks

Old 06-11-2010, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgrl View Post
I grew up in Laurelton. Welcome back. I don't know your budget but maybe the Holliswood, Fresh Meadows or Oakland Gardens areas would work for you. Near parks, safe, good schools, not nearly as expensive as Brooklyn or Queens neighborhoods that are closer to Manhattan.
Thanks Queensgrl, I will definitely check those areas out.... if u can think of anything else, pls contact me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City