Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 05:33 AM

41 posts, read 208,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkepticLioness View Post
Why were you rejected I know this is a while ago but they are finally up to my log number from when I applied in 2009. Any help and or suggestions would be nice. I started a sole proprietorship last year but don't have 1099 for two years. However I'm also partly newly employed with one paystub. I know they average out self employment. But with the employment alone Im within the income requirements. Is one paystub enough?
It is correct that should you claim self employment income as part of your income over the last 3 years, you would need to have at least a two year history of self employment. Should you not have a two year history, you would be disqualified because you have not passed this time test for self employment. Just because you started a sole propietorship does not mean that you are making any money. For example, I can start a dog grooming business, get a license, etc, but not have a single client or make a penny, then after a month decide to go back to a 9-5 employment, if I didnt make any profit and I didnt claim any loss on my tax returns, this would not be something that is necessary to disclose. Now, if you claimed a profit or loss on your tax return for 2012, then you would need to have claimed a profit or loss from this same line of self employment from 2011 in order to meet the benchmark for the time test.

Don't worry about being a part-time student, just as long as you were not full time in the past 12 months and do not intend to be full-time in the next 12 months. There are exeptions to the full time student rule, which says all adults living in an affordable housing unit cannot be full time students uncless, they are married filing jointly, on public assistance, were in foster care, and there is one other expection but I can't think of it right now.

As far as starting a new job last week, that is okay. The problem is you have to show a stable work history, meaning you have to have worked consistently within the last year at no more than 2 jobs. Let's say for the last week, you were working at "Staples", but two weeks before you started at "Staples" you were working at "TJ Max" making a comprable wage, everything would be okay. If you just started working at "Staples" and did not have a job prior to that for a lengthy period of time, then your work history would not be long enough for them to evaluate.

Good Luck. 505 is a beautiful building. I pass it all the time on my way to the Lincoln Tunnel. All buildings are strict but in my opinion, they are even more rigid than any other building for which I have applied.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2013, 11:52 AM

11 posts, read 22,710 times
If you get an apartment under the 80/20 program can you move to another 80/20 apartment when your lease is up? That is if you apply and get accepted or you are low priority or u are not considered at all?
Anybody knows the rules on that?
Tks for any info on subject.

Old 06-13-2013, 12:29 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,235,184 times
You can get accepted to another building. A co worker is in affordable housing and interviewed for 45th st. She was a little over the income and wasn't accepted but if she wasn't she could've gotten the apt.

Old 06-13-2013, 07:43 PM

11 posts, read 22,710 times
That is excellent news! Thank you so much. So after your lease expires u can move, if accepted, to another affordable rent building? I got accepted but the apartment is so tiny and I will need to move in a while.
But thank you so much for response and such quick response! Have a great week end!

Old 06-13-2013, 07:56 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,235,184 times
It can be hard to get accepted as you know so don't assume you will defiantly be able to get into another 80/20 though. After all not many win the lottery twice.

Old 10-09-2013, 01:00 PM

49 posts, read 60,769 times
Hey guys i have a question i am employed full time and my sister is a FT student but we fit into the income range. Any chance we will be disqualified because she is a FT student?

Old 12-26-2013, 05:49 AM

6 posts, read 14,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancheto View Post
This is how log numbers work. Unless you fall into one of the preference categories, ie the 50% community board residence preference, or the 5% city workers, or 2% disabled, your application is processed in numerical log number order.

When you sent in your application and the random selection was completed, your application was 5,000th application to be selected and therefore the 5,000th application to be logged, hence log number. If you do not fall into one of the preference categories listed above, your application will be the 5,000th to be processed.

There are so many applications that some people are not even given a log number because their application is not even opened due to the high volume and random selection.

My log number is in the 700's, everyone before me and the community preference must be satisfied, either have gotten approved or denied for an apartment before i could be approved for an apartment; however, i could be denied at any time.

When I called last week to check on my status, I was told that there are so many people before me, with lower log numbers that need to be determined, so it is always a waiting game in some form or another.
hello, who do you call to find out the status of the application

Old 01-30-2014, 02:24 AM

158 posts, read 303,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancheto View Post
It all depends. If you are the only person in your household then you are not allowed to be a full time student because "all members of the household cannot be full time students with limited exceptions under the law". The exception would be that the household is on public assistance, and one or two other exceptions that I dont know off hand. If you are a student and you are on the lease with your parent or spouse who is not a full time student then you are fine, but if you are the sole person on the lease then that is not allowed. If you want, I have the rejection criteria for this building, 505 West 37th Street. I dont know if the same rules apply to other buildings but I am familiar with 505.
Married couples can both be full time, my wife and I are both FT. Before we were married we were both on the lease and could only be part time-I know weird rules, probably set up to prevent college students from taking all the apartments instead of dorming.

Old 01-30-2014, 02:32 AM

158 posts, read 303,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annietish View Post
I don't think this is true of my building. I believe you can only make 145% or 170% of your original income. Is every building different? flosolj20 I hope you are right but I don't think so in my case. Does anyone know exactly? If I knew for sure it would go up to market value I would start looking for a new place now. Thanks for the help!
My wife got the apt in 2001 by herself making approx $20k, by 2008 she was making $50k plus I was on the lease making $45k-our rent never increased besides a tiny percent every time a new lease was signed which was only maybe $20 extra a month.

I know the thread is old but this info may help people with similar concerns.

Old 04-16-2014, 09:16 PM

1 posts, read 1,683 times
If you made a mistake and ur full address was not entered is there a way u can change it if you already put your application through?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City