Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 12:24 AM

11 posts, read 35,300 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are getting a kid free vacation to NYC in August. We are debating staying in Soho or in the Times Square area. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2010, 01:26 AM

118 posts, read 442,509 times
I would definitely go to Soho. Times Square is very touristy... much, much more than Soho is. To be honest, most of the restaurants and bars in TS suck because they are filled with the same kind of people you were most likely around back home. It does not give you any kind of authentic New York experience, just a manufactured corporate snooze at top prices. Stay in Soho, that way you will be in close proximity to a better pick of places for dining and nightlife, as well as much better shopping. And a much more interesting crowd to observe and take in.

Old 06-17-2010, 02:33 AM

467 posts, read 1,861,241 times
Soho. But I'd also look at Union Square. Or even the Upper West Side. Depends on what you're looking for out of the trip. Shopping? Eating? Strolling down the street? Don't stay in Times Square though.

Old 06-17-2010, 03:03 AM

218 posts, read 739,435 times
SoHo... and while you're in NYC, check out Greenwich Village, and the Upper West Side... you'll be where there is less tourists than if you were to stay and eat in Midtown.

Old 06-17-2010, 05:34 AM

2,256 posts, read 6,933,892 times
Because its only like <10 from each other via subway I'd visit both but would stay around the Soho area.

Old 06-17-2010, 09:06 AM

5,545 posts, read 2,032,011 times
Echoing others' sentiments, I would also advise to stay in SoHo and avoid the tourist trap that is Times Square.

Old 06-17-2010, 09:22 AM

155 posts, read 443,884 times
To play devil's advocate, SoHo is packed with tourists as well. Just different kinds. Instead of wide-eyed midwesterners like you might find in Times Square, in SoHo you'll generally find super fashion conscious suburbanites who think they're queen of the city because they bought an expensive bag in a SoHo boutique. Obviously a generalization, but I find the latter way more obnoxious, and SoHo is every bit as packed as Times Square.

Also, to a tourist, the cast-iron aesthetics of SoHo will be much less striking than Times Square. Imagine settling into your hotel room and having a view of the Coca-Cola sign, the ball, etc. vs. say, Spring Street. As a tourist, I'd take the first. I mean, Times Square is heavily toured for a reason. Debating "authentic New York" between Times Square and SoHo is like debating the authenticity of frozen pizzas. If authenticity is all that matters, then I'd advise them to stay in Sunset Park or Jackson Heights.

Old 06-17-2010, 09:52 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,803,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicYouth View Post
To play devil's advocate, SoHo is packed with tourists as well. Just different kinds. Instead of wide-eyed midwesterners like you might find in Times Square, in SoHo you'll generally find super fashion conscious suburbanites who think they're queen of the city because they bought an expensive bag in a SoHo boutique. Obviously a generalization, but I find the latter way more obnoxious, and SoHo is every bit as packed as Times Square.

Also, to a tourist, the cast-iron aesthetics of SoHo will be much less striking than Times Square. Imagine settling into your hotel room and having a view of the Coca-Cola sign, the ball, etc. vs. say, Spring Street. As a tourist, I'd take the first. I mean, Times Square is heavily toured for a reason. Debating "authentic New York" between Times Square and SoHo is like debating the authenticity of frozen pizzas. If authenticity is all that matters, then I'd advise them to stay in Sunset Park or Jackson Heights.

Ugh I work in Soho on Broadway to be exact and let me tell you it takes me 20 minutes to walk 1 block because all the tourists will form circles on the sidewalk or walk and then stop because they have never seen an H&M before.

If you wanna stay somewhere non touristy I would recommend the meatpacking district.

Old 06-17-2010, 10:20 AM

551 posts, read 1,568,388 times
If you are considering something as pricey as the SoHo Grand, I would definitely look elsewhere. Hotel Thompson, W Union Square, the Morgan, etc. If you want to stay in Soho and can afford it, try the new Crosby Street hotel -- a few blocks from the crush of tourists a little west of there.

Old 06-17-2010, 10:42 AM

3,003 posts, read 6,067,799 times
Forget what everyone else is saying about TS. Your a tourist and my best bet is you could careless as what is more authentic to new yorkers. Times square will offer you much more fun than soho. Times square is awesome and the only people that say otherwise are nyers who try to hard to sound like real nyers lol. The energy their is unmatched
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City