Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2009, 06:53 PM

89 posts, read 297,480 times

Advertisements

I just leased a small studio apt for myself. I'm trying to decide between a portable airconditioner or a wall mounted one.

I'm leaning towards a portable one since I might move after a year or so and it would be easier to transport. Plus my apt comes with heat and hot water included and I have heard that landlords here keep the temperature around 65 degrees in winter which makes the portable air conditioner / heater option more attractive.

What do you guys think? Which option should I go with?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2009, 08:50 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,457,574 times
Your question is better suited to the home improvement forum, then to NYC forum.
Anyways. the portable A/C unit needs room space and by what you say, your space is limited. Such unit also needs intake and outlet to be hooked to a window. Therefore, it is not as flexible as it sounds.
On the other hand, the window unit, needs support and not every window has it. Also some window units make noisy vibrations, which can be annoying.

Old 05-09-2009, 10:06 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,831,342 times
I had a portable A/C and it was ..... OK. It sucked up a LOT of electricity, and did a good job of cooling a very small area, but certainly didn't cool the entire room (which really wasn't very large). And, yes, you have to be able to vent it outside.

Old 06-05-2010, 05:54 AM

1 posts, read 26,937 times
I just got a portable AC, all my life always had the window ac and I thought it will be better or at lease the same, NO the portable AC has been on all night and the room temp is still at 77 F, for the amount of $$$ I expected a lot more and better...

Old 06-05-2010, 06:20 AM

2,718 posts, read 5,357,131 times
A few years ago, I was going to purchase one of those portables for a room in my apartment that only had one window and it was the fire escape. It was my only option for that space. I asked around at work and everyone said the same thing: they are terrible. If you stand in front of it, you will feel the cool air but it just does not cool even a small room on its own.

I decided against getting it but was tempted a few times to try anyway. Then the AC in my office broke and while it was being repaired they gave us a large, brand name (I can't remember it now) portable one to use in the meantime. It was absolutely horrible. It did not cool the place at all so we just took turns standing over it every so often. I was so glad I didn't buy it.

Old 06-05-2010, 05:35 PM

900 posts, read 2,371,917 times
I just purchased a portable a/c and it works alright. I won't say it's great but o'k. The reason I won't say it's great is b/c the motor constantly runs and I still haven't figured out the temp regulation 65 and 75 degree settings feel the same to me but it does get the room cold on both. I just need to watch how much I use it. With my window unit my electric bill was anywhere from $127 - $147 for months of July and August with using it from the afternoon to late night. I could get by with only a fan at other times and May - June.

Prior to my purchase I always used a window a/c but since I live on the 1st floor and the only window I could use it that didn't have child protective bars was in my living room which also happens to be where the trash cans are kept right outside my window. So for security reasons I got the portable.

My apartment doesn't get extremely hot unless the temps are really high. I'm also a person who doesn't like it very cold either. I can take the heat. Now the portable I have is 12,000 BTUs for a 130 sq. ft. bedroom so it's a small space. My window unit is also 12,000 BTUs (GE brand) and would cool off my small apartment, the portable so far seems to have a hard time doing. The window unit was very noisy but it got the job done.

I purchased the portable also b/c I no longer wanted to cool the whole apartment since I'm usually in my bedroom and to lessen the cost.

Unless you have a very very small space I wouldn't get anything under 10,000 BTUs for a portable. Honestly, I still haven't figured out why it operates as it does. You know how your window unit will shut on and off once the temp is reached and come back on when the temp rises. Well so far from what I've read on-line and how mine operates IT NEVER SHUTS OFF unless of course you turn it off, but I'm learning that the dehumidifier does to some degree but the motor still runs. I was worried about seeing my first electric bill since using it.

I also have heat included and my landlord is stingy w/ the heat, my portable also has a heater and the heater works wonderfully.

My portable is a Soleus but I would recommend to you a Commercial Cool (they're sold on Amazon) for about $450 or $470 for a 14,000 BTU. My doctor's office had one and I could remember it cycling on and off plus it cooled very well -- so much so that I would make sure I took a sweater or jacket. Haier now makes the Commercial Cool portable a/c's and the one in my doc's office was the brown and grey one.

Oh and setting up the hoses (mine has two) was easy and my window only has to be opened 6 or 7 inches.

All n all the window unit is better but the portable meets my needs and my Soleus does super cool my room. Read on-line reviews to help in making your decision on all types of a/c's.

Oh and one last thing if a portable describes their unit as no or little water dripping or leakage b/c it so calls evaporates, that's a lie they all have a lot of water dripping depending on how much humidity is in the air. Besides all air conditioners expend water.

Last edited by luvnyc; 06-05-2010 at 05:59 PM..

Old 06-18-2010, 02:31 PM

900 posts, read 2,371,917 times
Mderm, how did you make out? What did you decide on?

Old 06-19-2010, 03:06 PM

89 posts, read 297,480 times
neither! I bought a pretty powerful fan which serves me well. I have 3 very large windows in my studio apartment so unless its really humid outside, I'm pretty comfortable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City