Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2010, 12:24 AM
rlt rlt started this thread

86 posts, read 152,669 times

Advertisements

I'm from and still currently living in Monroe, MI (Metro Detroit).

I plan on going to college soon, but I still havent decided on a major, any ideas? I don't have anything in particular that I want to major in.

I'm planning a trip to NYC next month, and im possibly going to move here.

And by "good", I mean a safe area to live, a 2 bdrm HOUSE, and money to go out and do something once in a while.

Thanks for all comments.

And anything you want to say about the city itself feel free.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2010, 12:47 AM

893 posts, read 2,862,388 times
I don't get what you are asking. Are you asking what colleges in the nation would have a better chance of you getting a high income job in the NYC area. If thats your question you don't have to look any further then U Michigan Ann Arbor. NYC bankers recruit heavily from that school.

Old 06-21-2010, 11:45 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,370,266 times
First you want to get an english degree, because you want to live WELL, not good. Second, if you are chasing money you won't be happy no matter how much you have....get a degree in something you LIKE and WANT to do..not something that will simply get you XYZ...that is the fastest way to a miserable life (well that and having a baby at 15, drugs, etc).

Old 06-21-2010, 11:54 AM

483 posts, read 853,970 times
There are tons of professions out there, what are you interested in? Surely something. You should choose a profession in a field that you like and has a salary compensation that you will be comfortable living on.

Old 06-21-2010, 01:13 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,300,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlt View Post

And by "good", I mean a safe area to live, a 2 bdrm HOUSE, and money to go out and do something once in a while.
I may be reading this wrong, but your capitalization of HOUSE suggests you emphatically want a house, not an apartment. I'm having a hard time seeing how you're going to get a 2-BR house in NYC. The closest you're likely to come is renting an apt in a house that's split up into multiple units. In Manhattan and the closer-in parts of the other boros, those houses are attached, not detached like in Michigan. It's a totally different world.

To rent an actual 2-BR house, you'd have to get pretty far from the core of NYC and it's still going to be expensive.

Old 06-21-2010, 04:49 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,282,852 times
A 2BR "HOUSE" that is anywhere near NYC is goign to demand a job that pays at least $150-200k a year, to be in a good neighborhood with good schools.

What are you interested in? Are you more of a math/science brain or a language/writing/history brain? What are you passionate about- sports, current events, comic books, helping people, etc??

Majors (with good grades) who tend to earn the most income (entry level) are engineers, computer science, finance, accounting, and economics. Most liberal arts (English, History, Art, Psychology, etc) majors make the least unless they go to graduate school for Law or an MBA or have a special skill set/ experience that makes them marketable for a higher-paying job.

Old 06-21-2010, 05:34 PM

218 posts, read 741,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlt View Post
I'm from and still currently living in Monroe, MI (Metro Detroit).

I plan on going to college soon, but I still havent decided on a major, any ideas? I don't have anything in particular that I want to major in.

Thanks for all comments.

And anything you want to say about the city itself feel free.
There are no "houses" in Manhattan... not in the sense of a suburban house, anyway... only apartments. And you won't be able to live "good" in these without forking over some major moolah. Especially if you want to be able to go out and party.

You did not say if this trip of yours would be the first you have taken to NYC, so unless you tell me otherwise, I will assume that is the case. You ought not decide to move to a city before going there and spending some time. And you most certainly should not design your entire education around the notion of living location... that alone says you're not really coming at this from a mature angle.

You need to study what you're GOOD at. Consider that a good education costs money in and of itself, and a huge investment in time. You need to make it worth all that. If you enjoy math, study that. If you like art, law, or medicine, study those. But don't pick an area of study just because you think it'll allow you to live in NYC... that's the kind of reasoning a kid would use.

Go to NYC... spend as much time as you can there with the money you have, and see if it's a lifestyle you can be happy with. NYC is extremely expensive... it is totally possible to live comfortably there on a budget, but you have to know how. Spend at least a month in NYC, if you can, and get a good feel for the city.

Old 06-21-2010, 06:20 PM

684 posts, read 1,819,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
First you want to get an english degree, because you want to live WELL, not good. Second, if you are chasing money you won't be happy no matter how much you have....get a degree in something you LIKE and WANT to do..not something that will simply get you XYZ...that is the fastest way to a miserable life (well that and having a baby at 15, drugs, etc).
Major co-sign !!

Old 06-23-2010, 03:13 PM

201 posts, read 619,237 times
Major in Pharmacetuical sales....if you get my drift....j/k. Try finance or statistics to getting a job for a bank on wall street to make a ton of loot.

Old 06-23-2010, 06:59 PM

877 posts, read 2,012,282 times
If you don't know what you want to do yet, then don't sweat on getting here. I suggest you go to a local community college. A lot of my friends who have like 90's averages don't even know what they want to do so they go to cc to figure out. After 2 years, you can decide what you want to do, then come to New York, because you don't want to shell out a few thousands of dollars per month when you don't even know what to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: