Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 12:16 PM

218 posts, read 741,248 times

Advertisements

I myself recently moved to NYC with basically nothing, but am still here. That being said... I knew what to expect, and what I could afford... you will NOT be able to live on your own for $800 to $900 dollars a month, and if you do, it will not be in Manhattan, unless you are okay with renting a ROOM... not an apartment... a ROOM. And you have to also factor in your food budget, as well as saving money for taxi fares and MetroCards. You will have to be comfortable with the prospect of living out of your backpack for quite a while, once you first get to NYC.

I applaud your desire not to take government help... I can respect you on that. Just do whatever you can possibly do to find a job ASAP... don't be too prideful or picky... work is work, and work pays you and provides you with an income. Once you find work, save what money you can, so you always have enough for rent, food, and transportation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2010, 12:21 PM

9,246 posts, read 24,066,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey.Evolve View Post
Greetings to you and yours,

I'm 19 and I plan on moving to New York in upcoming 2011. I just started saving my funds for this mission. I will be moving SOLO, no friends, no family well, I do but we're not close. I was attending Medical School and I dropped out when my mother passed and now its me against the world. I stay with my grandmother, and she wants me OUT.. so do I. NEXT STOP:
NEW YORK CITY. So I'm humbly asking for some tips, job sources, and places to live. My budget will be $800-$900 a month, I DO NOT want to reside with an roommate, and gov't help is OUT of the question. A one bedroom is completly fine and any location but "rundown" (not use to that environment) However any help and advice is appreciated.

-This is not a IF I move to New York, I am
-Please no ignorant comments
-All help is needed and welcomed
-Thanks!
I am just so blown away by the fact that you were in medical school at 19 that I'm speechless.Was it the 4 years of high school or the 4 years of college that they let you skip? Or did you get multiple double promotions in elementary school?

Obviously,in your world,anything is possible.

Old 06-22-2010, 12:32 PM

5,545 posts, read 2,036,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey.Evolve View Post
Greetings to you and yours,

I'm 19 and I plan on moving to New York in upcoming 2011. I just started saving my funds for this mission. I will be moving SOLO, no friends, no family well, I do but we're not close. I was attending Medical School and I dropped out when my mother passed and now its me against the world. I stay with my grandmother, and she wants me OUT.. so do I. NEXT STOP:
NEW YORK CITY. So I'm humbly asking for some tips, job sources, and places to live. My budget will be $800-$900 a month, I DO NOT want to reside with an roommate, and gov't help is OUT of the question. A one bedroom is completly fine and any location but "rundown" (not use to that environment) However any help and advice is appreciated.

-This is not a IF I move to New York, I am
-Please no ignorant comments
-All help is needed and welcomed
-Thanks!
First of all, you need to drop your unrealistic expectations about moving to NYC and lower them to become more realistic. Second of all, I doubt you were in medical school at age 19.

That being said, you can move to NYC on that budget, but you will need to live with a roommate or several roommates, and you will need to make several sacrifices until you work your way up into a higher-paying job. I'd recommend going back to school and earning a degree so you have much better job prospects out of college, and better chances at landing those jobs than a college dropout.

Old 06-22-2010, 12:37 PM

684 posts, read 1,819,052 times
Enter the housing lotteries..they can feel like a long shot but you dont have to pay to send in an application and you never know. You may get called for an interview. Never hurts to just send a few in..

Old 06-22-2010, 04:47 PM

966 posts, read 2,444,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
I am just so blown away by the fact that you were in medical school at 19 that I'm speechless.Was it the 4 years of high school or the 4 years of college that they let you skip? Or did you get multiple double promotions in elementary school?

Obviously,in your world,anything is possible.
I'm curious too.

OP, did you mean that you were a pre-med major in college/university? In any case, I hope you take up medicine again once you get on your feet.

Old 06-23-2010, 12:03 AM

7,934 posts, read 8,587,137 times
$800-900...try Bushwick in Brooklyn. I know a couple people who live there and it's really pretty decent as far as up-and-coming areas go. I don't think that budget will get you your own place anywhere that isn't kind of crap though, so I think you might want to compromise on the roommate thing. It's actually a very "New York" thing to do.

The nice thing about getting into a share situation is that often times the person leasing the apartment will rent the room out for a flat rate, including basic utilities and sometimes even nice extras like wireless internet into the rent. Usually the terms are much more flexible as well. The last thing you would want to do is rope yourself into a 6 or 12 month lease before you know how it's going to work out for you here.

Last edited by UrbanAdventurer; 06-23-2010 at 12:18 AM..

Old 06-23-2010, 07:34 AM

412 posts, read 1,326,751 times
OK 19, going to be attending medical school in NY and don't have a job but want to rent a nice apartment for around $800- $900/month.

IMO you are going to have a problem because most landlords are going to look at your age and want income verification.

NY isn't cheap,even in the supposed "ghettos". Some studios are going for $900 - $1000/month.

Old 06-11-2012, 10:27 AM

555 posts, read 1,183,420 times
Just had to bump this...its funny

So how did you make out OP? Oh that was your only post 8-(

Old 06-11-2012, 11:37 AM

3,686 posts, read 8,702,873 times
He was a good troll. Look at all the fools that gave him long winded responses. The first clue was when he said he went to med school at 19.

Old 06-11-2012, 11:55 AM

632 posts, read 1,070,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Not trying to be overly harsh, but you need a wake-up call before your life spirals out of control and you end up working a dead-end job, 1000's of miles away from your friends, and living on a bad block of te Bronx that is run by the local gang/ drug runners. Seriously.
Sounds like a good wakeup call to me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City