Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2016, 09:05 PM

34,080 posts, read 47,269,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
Parkchester management renovated a lot of units, and rents these units starting at $1,250 for one bedroom. That is still rock-bottom cheap for NYC. I believe there are very few studios in Parkchester. I own one, and am renting it out for $960 per month (not renovated), which could easily be the lowest rent in Parkchester (but this is not an advertisement, since I have a tenant, and she will likely stay for many more years, hopefully until I decide to retire and live there myself... if this crime situation gets fixed by then). I stayed in the apartment for a few weeks in the beginning of 2014, when I was between tenants, and I also thought the place was very peaceful and wonderful. It really was like time travel into a slower and quieter past, with all that great 1940s urban architecture and serene vegetation. Like Scatman implied in his post above, it is difficult to imagine any crime or danger in that setting, and I really did feel safe there... but maybe that was a false sense of security considering the news reports of rare but very serious crimes in the area. That is a real shame (I mean, the crime) because I think Parkchester is very amazing and exceptional place otherwise.
Why don't you ask your tenant how they feel about the crime situation?

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2016, 07:27 AM

8,373 posts, read 4,382,688 times
I ask her all the time. Her opinion is that the crime is increasing in Parkchester, and criminals are coming from the outside (not living in Parkchester). But she is from the Bronx, and does not seem to be bothered by crime. That completely shocks me, but I guess that's how it is. People can get used to anything, apparently.

Old 07-27-2016, 07:45 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,240,149 times
Quote:
I ask her all the time. Her opinion is that the crime is increasing in Parkchester, and criminals are coming from the outside (not living in Parkchester). But she is from the Bronx, and does not seem to be bothered by crime. That completely shocks me, but I guess that's how it is. People can get used to anything, apparently.
I've heard that the pakistani/bengali community there is being targeted a bit. I don't consider Parkchester remotely dangerous though by Bronx standards.

Old 07-27-2016, 08:18 AM

Well, maybe Bronx standards should change. Every place incl NYC still needs low-paid service workers, and still has a lot of residents who are either too young to have earned much money or too old to earn money any more. From this, it follows that every place incl NYC needs to have affordable areas to live. But there is no place that needs crime.

Old 07-27-2016, 09:28 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,477,229 times
Quote:
Well, maybe Bronx standards should change. Every place incl NYC still needs low-paid service workers, and still has a lot of residents who are either too young to have earned much money or too old to earn money any more. From this, it follows that every place incl NYC needs to have affordable areas to live. But there is no place that needs crime.
Nowhere in NYC is truly affordable...it costs more to live in the worst NYC neighborhoods than it soes to live in nicer Philly neighborhoods

Old 07-27-2016, 01:50 PM

Right, NYC is more expensive than most other cities because so many people want to live there. Supply and demand. But my tenant makes about $48k per year in a low-skilled job, pays me less than $12k per year in rent, and lives quite normally within that scheme. So, Parkchester is indeed affordable. But what I (as an immigrant from Europe) don't understand is this connection between affordability and crime. Why should an affordable area have to be a criminal area?

Old 07-27-2016, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Right, NYC is more expensive than most other cities because so many people want to live there. Supply and demand. But my tenant makes about $48k per year in a low-skilled job, pays me less than $12k per year in rent, and lives quite normally within that scheme. So, Parkchester is indeed affordable. But what I (as an immigrant from Europe) don't understand is this connection between affordability and crime. Why should an affordable area have to be a criminal area?
It doesn't always correlate in NYC. I think parkchester happens to be relatively affordable because 1 it's a little far from downtown manhattan, and 2) it's a rather large complex and they usually have many open apartments. Parkchester is at a funny spot because it's expensive enough to keep some riff raff away but because of its location it's not the most attractive place for professionals and for higher earning blue collar types they probably feel they could get more bang some place like co-op city or in the burbs. About half the people who live there seem to be long term residents but the other half seems transient. They move there live for a few years then leave (although this is changing with influx of bengali/pakistani immigrants). I think if you would ask most people who are pretty familiar with this area they would tell you it's never really been considered a crime ridden area.

Last edited by NooYowkur81; 07-27-2016 at 02:31 PM..

Old 07-27-2016, 02:53 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,477,229 times
Quote:
It doesn't. The most affordable areas of the city are the outskirts, which are not usually crime ridden. I think rents throughout The Bronx are pretty similar, though.

Old 07-28-2016, 07:14 AM

@NooYowkur81 - thank you for the additional comments. It does seem like there is a large population of totally decent people living in Parkchester, which is just one more reason for better protection of Parkchester from crime. Regarding harassment of Bangladeshis, the perpetrators of this (and other) type of crime should be kicked out of Parkchester (if they are local residents), or given serious restraining orders to keep out of Parkchester (if they are coming from outside). I hope Parkchester management and the police are paying attention to his. They should put a notice to this effect into the orientation package for new tenants, and post anti-crime warnings around Parkchester. And then go ahead with actually enforcing law if a crime happens.

Last edited by elnrgby; 07-28-2016 at 07:37 AM..

Old 07-28-2016, 07:41 AM

Quote:
@NooYowkur81 - thank you for the additional comments. It does seem like there is a large population of totally decent people living in Parkchester, which is just one more reason for better protection of Parkchester from crime. Regarding harassment of Bangladeshis, the perpetrators of this (and other) type of crime should be kicked out of Parkchester (if they are local residents), or given serious restraining orders to keep out of Parkchester (if they are coming from outside). I hope Parkchester management and the police are paying attention to his. They should put a notice to this effect into the orientation package for new tenants, and post anti-crime warnings around Parkchester. And then go ahead with actually enforcing law if a crime happens.
As is the case often this city with immigrant/religious communities, that particular community is pretty insular. They prefer to keep and resolve some of their issues in-house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City