Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 08:13 AM

8,331 posts, read 4,372,464 times

Advertisements

That is kind of scary too, this clannish secretiveness. Is the "in-house" method of resolving crime problems (I guess by underground retributions between ethnic/racial/religious groups?) really the way to go in a huge cosmopolitan city of the 21st century? In a multiethnic/multiracial/multireligious community there should be some equal standard of fairness for everybody, not fostering of micro-wars between ethnic groups.

Last edited by elnrgby; 07-28-2016 at 08:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2016, 08:35 AM

4,767 posts, read 6,555,721 times
Some immigrants come from countries where the police are not to be trusted and so are not inclined to go to the authorities.

Old 07-28-2016, 09:01 AM

Scary...

Old 07-28-2016, 09:07 AM

34,011 posts, read 47,240,427 times
2 Teen Suspects Sought In Parkchester, Bronx Hate Crime Attack: NYPD « CBS New York

Muslim man beaten on the way to Bronx mosque in apparent hate crime | abc7ny.com

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks as if these 2 incidents happened outside of the actual complex.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-28-2016, 10:03 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,047,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I didn't know that there were so many Trump supporters in the Bronx.

Old 07-28-2016, 04:09 PM

5 posts, read 3,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
I see. Parkchester seems to have a totally decent quality of life, though, except that I do keep hearing about crime, ranging from burglary to about 5-6 murders per year on average. I have also been told that victims of these crimes tend to be people who are criminals themselves, not innocent bystanders (except for Bangladeshis who I understand have been specifically targeted for several hate crimes in recent years). Is this (ie, persistent low-incidence serious crime) why it is still difficult to get decent people to live in Parkchester, and is the management doing anything to remove resident criminals or at least not rent to new ones? Does anyone know about that?

Also, I do know that people in NYC historically tended to form ethnically/racially homogeneous neighborhoods, but I would think that in this day and age people would be more likely to choose where to live based on what they can pay for their home/apartment, and not have to worry about being chased out of anywhere due to their ethnicity/race. I thought that relative absence of white people in a place like Parkchester was due entirely to stupidity and unfounded paranoia of lower-income whites who could live affordably among other races in a place like Parkchester, but they don't want to. Am I wrong, am I naive, is there actually a real animosity against white people in Parkchester (even though any white person, like myself, moving into a cheap place like Parkchester is obviously a modest-income, non-privileged white, and not a "gentrifier")?
I beg to differ. Historically when white people move into an area populated by other races they take things. They take the essence of the area, they take what they likie and make it their own and have no regard for the people that have been in the area for years. In Parkchester right now I see quite a few white people disregarding the no dogs policy. They have dogs that they walk right out of the buildings with. How disrespectful is this to people who have been living in Parkchester 20-30 years and have honored this rule. 20 years ago the only dogs you saw were service dogs which is ok. The no dog policy is a good thing. No one had to put up with barking, dogs sniffing your feet when in close quarters (elevator and hallways) and owners that act offended because you don't want to be around their dog. I've recently seen dog poop near Metropolitan and Parker streets. I have never seen this before. This is nothing new. First Brooklyn then Harlem now Parkchester. You may be what you say you are but it won't be long before you join the lets get them out and make this place ours. It's not right but nothing can be done. It's their nature.

Old 07-28-2016, 04:17 PM

5 posts, read 3,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
I'm pretty familiar with Parkchester. My sis lives over there. Overall it's not a bad neighborhood. I've seen much worse. The complex buildings are actually pretty nice and well maintained. Complex 1br's are huge by city standards! Rents are fair. It's mostly a mix of ghetto folk, older immigrants, and young professionals (mostly 1st and 2nd generation descendants of immigrants, like my sis).

Some ****ty parts nearby though, castle hill is pretty crappy for example. The best parts of Parkchester are the ones right around the parkchester 6 train stop, further away from the train it gets crappier.
Wow ghetto folks. Can you tell us what you mean?

Old 07-28-2016, 04:22 PM

3,210 posts, read 4,611,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronx Gurl View Post
I beg to differ. Historically when white people move into an area populated by other races they take things. They take the essence of the area, they take what they likie and make it their own and have no regard for the people that have been in the area for years. In Parkchester right now I see quite a few white people disregarding the no dogs policy. They have dogs that they walk right out of the buildings with. How disrespectful is this to people who have been living in Parkchester 20-30 years and have honored this rule. 20 years ago the only dogs you saw were service dogs which is ok. The no dog policy is a good thing. No one had to put up with barking, dogs sniffing your feet when in close quarters (elevator and hallways) and owners that act offended because you don't want to be around their dog. I've recently seen dog poop near Metropolitan and Parker streets. I have never seen this before. This is nothing new. First Brooklyn then Harlem now Parkchester. You may be what you say you are but it won't be long before you join the lets get them out and make this place ours. It's not right but nothing can be done. It's their nature.
So you know every single white person personally that you can make such sweeping judgements? How do you feel about the CD posters who claim every black/latino person who moves in is a street criminal here to bring violence and ruin into their lily white paradise? White people have unique cultures and attributes that add to the flavor of a community just like people of color do, which is something to be celebrated not derided.

We need to get over this idea that you can fight hate with hate.

Old 07-28-2016, 05:06 PM

@ Shizzles - thank you so much for your post.

For the record, I support the no-dog policy in Parkchester, as well as eviction of any tenant (or a hefty fine to any unit owner) who keeps an illegal dog in Parkchester. I have never in my life noticed that dog ownership had anything to do with race!

The rest of Bronx Girl's post is so weird, ignorant, and hostile towards me for no reason whatsoever, that I don't even know what to say.

I came back to edit the post, because, after the initial shock, I actually know what to say. I hope Parkchester continues to improve, and include residents of every type, except those who harass other people, and hate people that are different from themselves. I certainly would like to see any hater get out of Parkchester, regardless of his/her race.

Last edited by elnrgby; 07-28-2016 at 05:28 PM..

Old 07-28-2016, 06:08 PM

And regarding "lets get them out of here and make this place ours", I had a choice of renting my Parkchester studio to a white woman or to an Afroamerican woman, and I chose to rent it to the Afroamerican, simply because she seemed like a more reliable person than the other one. Nothing to do with anybody's race.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City