Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 09:15 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,241,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momus View Post
Based on what I've read so far it appears that parkchester is like most other areas in NY, there are good qualities and bad qualities. I'm currently debating the move to parkchester from brooklyn myself. My major concern is parking and locating a school for my daughter in Parkchester. Any suggestions?
The parking situation is horrible in Parkchester. If you plan on keeping the car you will need to pay for a monthly lot. Thankfully there are actually enough lots around there where you could shop around for the best price.

As for schools, I've heard there are some pretty decent charter schools around there. However getting into them is kinda tricky.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2007, 12:44 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,799,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
Them some beautiful women on that 6 and 4/5 Trains.....Oh, I'm sorry, 40-45 minutes to Lower Manhattan!
Wow, you are so hard trying to sell this area...

Quote:
Originally Posted by momus View Post
Based on what I've read so far it appears that parkchester is like most other areas in NY, there are good qualities and bad qualities. I'm currently debating the move to parkchester from brooklyn myself. My major concern is parking and locating a school for my daughter in Parkchester. Any suggestions?
I would say you could give it a shot if you have a high tolerance level. However with a daughter, you should pass.

Old 07-30-2007, 02:34 PM

4,437 posts, read 7,672,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustla718 View Post
Wow, you are so hard trying to sell this area...
And six weeks later, I'm selling it harder! Parkchester is very family-oriented, and in addition to that, not only is my building clean, but my block is very quiet. This is turning out to be a great investment!

Quote:
I would say you could give it a shot if you have a high tolerance level. However with a daughter, you should pass.

.....but for PS 106, the reviews are pretty good!
P.S. 106 Parkchester School

.....and can you explain tolerance level?

Last edited by scatman; 07-30-2007 at 03:27 PM..

Old 08-06-2007, 05:51 AM

842 posts, read 4,308,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
And six weeks later, I'm selling it harder! Parkchester is very family-oriented, and in addition to that, not only is my building clean, but my block is very quiet. This is turning out to be a great investment!
What are the demographics in Parkchester? Is it true the areas around the 6 train station is best? How long of a subway commute to the UES?

Old 08-06-2007, 06:02 AM

Default Parkchester too good to be true?

I just visited the official Parkchester website and checked out the floor plans. For a one bedroom $900 and for a two br $1200. Not bad. Very standard BUT, the ultimate question remains, Is it safe?

Let's talk demographics. As of 2006, there are Pakistani, Bangledishi, and Indians. Jewish, Italian, Polish, Irish, and Albanian. There are Thais, Chinese, Japanese (rare), Vietnamese, Filipinos, Burmese, and Cambodians. The population is approx. 50% black and latino. OK. So, the whole world lives here? Peacefully? Knowing the Bronx and NYC in general, in a mixed area like this, there is bound to be someone trying to take advantage of others. Scat or Hustla help me out here. I'm trying to move away from the city

Last edited by BXGEAR; 08-06-2007 at 06:10 AM..

Old 08-06-2007, 08:36 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,241,325 times
If anything, Latinos and Blacks might slowly get displaced out of Parkchester. I'm there pretty regularly to visit my sister, it seems to be getting more Asian all the time.

As it currently stands I wouldn't say any particular group is being taken advantage of. But that could change.

Parkchester is pretty safe, especially compared to other parts of the Bronx. The thing is that it is close to some less desirable areas, i.e. Castle Hill.

ClubBR, Parkchester is still a very urban atmosphere, so I don't know if that would be exactly what you are looking for if you are trying to "get away" from the city.

Last edited by NooYowkur81; 08-06-2007 at 08:46 AM..

Old 08-06-2007, 01:58 PM

435 posts, read 1,520,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
If anything, Latinos and Blacks might slowly get displaced out of Parkchester. I'm there pretty regularly to visit my sister, it seems to be getting more Asian all the time.

As it currently stands I wouldn't say any particular group is being taken advantage of. But that could change.

Parkchester is pretty safe, especially compared to other parts of the Bronx. The thing is that it is close to some less desirable areas, i.e. Castle Hill.

ClubBR, Parkchester is still a very urban atmosphere, so I don't know if that would be exactly what you are looking for if you are trying to "get away" from the city.
Since it's right on the Express 6 train, I'd say it's going to become more valuble over time. It's pretty nice except anywhere south of the EL is drugland (some argue Soundview is the worst neighborhood in the Bronx).

Old 08-06-2007, 01:58 PM

319 posts, read 1,250,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhogan10010 View Post
LOL
Agreed. I haven't noticed a shortage of beautiful women on any train line in NYC!
That is about how long it takes me from Bay Ridge to Midtown.

45 mins to midtown from bay ridge?? from what stop to what stop??

Old 08-06-2007, 04:25 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,368,610 times
Yeah there is a growing population of Bangladeshis in Parkchester. I think someone posted a couple weeks back that the Bangla people currently make up about 15% of Parkchester and that seems about right. I wouldn't be surprised if this number was to grow in the future.

Not many white people in Parkchester though. What percentage are they? 5% maybe? I'm guessing that most of the white people living in Parkchester are pretty old too.

Old 08-06-2007, 11:47 PM

Default The city was a mistake

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
NewYorker81, I'm trying to "get away" from the city PRICES!!! Rent is insane- $1600 for a ONE BEDROOM?? All the way on the east side of Yorkville (no trains & across the street from public housing). I'm a college student but luckily my wife and I split the rent. I work minimum wage PART TIME. I need to "get away" NOW
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City