Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2010, 05:14 PM

20 posts, read 47,808 times

Advertisements

Hello. How are you? (I was raised to start off a conversation with that. I know, very unusual in a thread).

I am a high school senior living in Miami, FL, particularly NMB (for those of you who know Miami), and I am considering moving to NYC for Columbia (if I get accepted) and maybe for a few years after because of the generous financial aid and for a change from the Miami culture.

I just wanted to know anything general about the 2960 Broadway or Morningside Heights because I will live on campus (I know about NYC rent), and campuses are safe with lots of food and people, but what about the surroundings? What is the crime rate outside the Columbian zone? I'm not that scared of crime since I know some self-defense, and I live in NMB after all. (I'm used to helicopters in the middle of the night, a couple of shootings, and police coming to my block every few weeks.) Are there lots of homeless people or guys that just sit in front of a store begging for random things? Are there store shootings or gang issues, esp. concerning racial tension and drugs?

Also, I won't bring a car since I can't afford one (insurance, maintenance, and gas), so how is transportation? Are the buses roach-infested and come late, or do they have A/C or heat and arrive early? Are there buses??? Are cabs reliable and affordable? I've always heard about the subway system, either trying to get bombed or shut down. I don't worry about a bomb threat as much as live drug/gang activity, people with guns, or random flashes of crotches. I would love details on the subway system!

And most importantly, people. How are the people in Morningside Heights? I know NYC has its own villages of people that are racially segregated. Living in the same house for 16 years, my block is very ethnically and religiously diverse despite the crime and housing market (the real estate market is dead in Miami). Obviously, there are race-segregated places all over the world, but is NYC very racially segregated with all the minorities in one section and all the white people on the other side of town? Mainly, is it tolerant? Despite the crime rate on my block, no one has ever hated neighbors because they're Filipino or Jewish or Muslim or Hispanic or Haitian or white or West Indian-Pakistani (me). (I don't mind some intolerance because some people will always remain ignorant of other cultures because of their nature; it's not my job to change them. I just try to deal with it.)

Thank you in advance for answering any or all of my questions. Add your own two cents about NYC or Columbia or the college students if you want to. Opinions are good to gain perspective of Columbia/NYC. Multas gratias (Latin for many thanks)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2010, 06:09 PM

2,129 posts, read 4,511,056 times
Hey there! I go to college in NYC (just finished my first year), and I'm also from Florida (Orlando).

I don't know much about the Morningside Heights area, but I do think it's pretty safe. It's kind of on the border of my comfort zone, since it borders Harlem, but I think it's considered basically an extension of the Upper West Side. Around Columbia you'll be fine. There may be hobos outside of stores, but that will happen anywhere in Manhattan. And it's nothing to worry about. The way you described your current neighborhood sounds scarier than anything I've seen in New York.

Manhattan is famous for its public transportation. I personally think that anyone in the city who owns a car is crazy. The buses are clean and easy to use.. and as far as I could tell had A/C (if they didn't, it's not like FL where living without A/C is unbearable). Taxis are reliable but not really affordable for us college kids. When I'm really lazy/late/splurging I'll take a cab, but mostly walking, buses, and the subway is the way to go. The subway system is not anywhere as dangerous as you think it is, I promise! There's certainly incidents down there but I've never had a problem or been frightened. Also, a bomb going off in the subway is pretty unlikely.

I don't really know about the people in Morningside Heights, but I doubt you'll come across any racial problems. New York is such a diverse place that tolerance is pretty necessary for everyone to co-exist.

Old 06-23-2010, 06:23 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times
Ok, first of all, you need to visit NYC before deciding to spend the next 4+ years here because your post shows you have a very unrealistic perception of the city.

1. Morningside Heights is fine- mix of Columbia students & professors, families and singles, many races/ religions/ etc. Generally safe though use caution when late at night.

2. There are only a few pockets of NYC that resemble the "closer-off ethnic" neighborhoods that you described- and you kind of have to seek them out (ie, Hassidic Jewish areas in Brooklyn, Russian immigrants in the Rockaways/ Brooklyn, Chinese immigrants in Chinatown). Most neighborhoods are a mix of races & religions, but similar income levels (ie, poor/ middle-class/ very wealthy).

3. NYC busses are safe, clean, and pretty much run on time.

4. NYC subways are the fastest & easiest way to get around. They are pretty clean, safe, and very reliable schedule-wise. You'll see te occasional bum or kids selling stuff (probably stolen) for money, but overall no worries. The subway is your friend!

5. Yellow cabs (official NYC taxi) are somewhat had to find in Upper Manhattan. Use gypsy cabs with caution as drivers are not regulated/ licensed by the city. Cabs are fairly expensive. You will burn through a ton of cash if you get in the habit of using them often.

Lastly, what made you choose Columbia? It's a Top 10 ranked, Ivy League school. If you don't have a 2200+ SAT, 4's and 5's on at least 8-10 AP exams, outstanding recommendations, and something spectacular on your application to make you stand out, it will be very difficult to have a shot at getting in. Admission rate hovers around 9-12% for freshman year.

Last edited by TurtleCreek80; 06-23-2010 at 07:26 PM..

Old 06-24-2010, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Ok, first of all, you need to visit NYC before deciding to spend the next 4+ years here because your post shows you have a very unrealistic perception of the city.

1. Morningside Heights is fine- mix of Columbia students & professors, families and singles, many races/ religions/ etc. Generally safe though use caution when late at night.

2. There are only a few pockets of NYC that resemble the "closer-off ethnic" neighborhoods that you described- and you kind of have to seek them out (ie, Hassidic Jewish areas in Brooklyn, Russian immigrants in the Rockaways/ Brooklyn, Chinese immigrants in Chinatown). Most neighborhoods are a mix of races & religions, but similar income levels (ie, poor/ middle-class/ very wealthy).

3. NYC busses are safe, clean, and pretty much run on time.

4. NYC subways are the fastest & easiest way to get around. They are pretty clean, safe, and very reliable schedule-wise. You'll see te occasional bum or kids selling stuff (probably stolen) for money, but overall no worries. The subway is your friend!

5. Yellow cabs (official NYC taxi) are somewhat had to find in Upper Manhattan. Use gypsy cabs with caution as drivers are not regulated/ licensed by the city. Cabs are fairly expensive. You will burn through a ton of cash if you get in the habit of using them often.

Lastly, what made you choose Columbia? It's a Top 10 ranked, Ivy League school. If you don't have a 2200+ SAT, 4's and 5's on at least 8-10 AP exams, outstanding recommendations, and something spectacular on your application to make you stand out, it will be very difficult to have a shot at getting in. Admission rate hovers around 9-12% for freshman year.
Thank you for your insight to NYC. As for my decision on Columbia, the biophysics major. I am interested in their double bachelor's program for a BA in biophysics and a BS in biomedical engineering, and maybe their graduate school. Also, Columbia has lots of financial aid, so I won't swim in debt after graduation. It will be difficult to get in because my SAT score is 2000, I've taken only 3 AP exams, but I've taken over 20 college classes through dual enrollment at MDC. My recommendations will be from my amazing high school teachers and college professors, and I'm fluent in Spanish, Chinese, and Latin (my something spectacular). Multas gratias, Xiexie, Gracias

Old 06-24-2010, 05:17 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stayinghonest View Post
Thank you for your insight to NYC. As for my decision on Columbia, the biophysics major. I am interested in their double bachelor's program for a BA in biophysics and a BS in biomedical engineering, and maybe their graduate school. Also, Columbia has lots of financial aid, so I won't swim in debt after graduation. It will be difficult to get in because my SAT score is 2000, I've taken only 3 AP exams, but I've taken over 20 college classes through dual enrollment at MDC. My recommendations will be from my amazing high school teachers and college professors, and I'm fluent in Spanish, Chinese, and Latin (my something spectacular). Multas gratias, Xiexie, Gracias
You may be the first poster to actually have a shot at Columbia (gift of launguage is definitely rare!). Sorry, but we get a lot of silly high school kids who decide they want to move to NYC, google "colleges in NYC" and come here telling us that's where they're going to "enroll" without a clue how diffiult admissions is.

Good luck to ya!

Old 06-24-2010, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
You may be the first poster to actually have a shot at Columbia (gift of launguage is definitely rare!). Sorry, but we get a lot of silly high school kids who decide they want to move to NYC, google "colleges in NYC" and come here telling us that's where they're going to "enroll" without a clue how diffiult admissions is.

Good luck to ya!
Well, there's always an exception to the stereotype. Thank you 2 again for your insights into NYC. Good luck to whatever is happening in your life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: