Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 06:37 PM

244 posts, read 664,691 times

Advertisements

Frank Zappa said it best :

"Awright, wait a minute, wait a minute. I have an important message to deliver to all the cute people all over the world. If you're out there and you're cute, maybe you're beautiful, I just want to tell you somethin'--there's more of us ugly mother-******s than you are, hey-y, so watch out. Now . . . "
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2010, 09:41 AM

241 posts, read 732,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Design7 View Post
Does the glamour and style of NYC live on only in its billboards . . ?
Our diversity is what makes us the "beautiful people"

Old 06-26-2010, 10:39 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,971,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
I believe the fake boob/blonde hair look isn't referred to as beautiful more so as "trashy".Think of how gross someone will look at 86 with big fake boobs and a face that doesn't age.

NYC is one of the few cities where actual super models roam the streets!
A face lift may knock about 10 yrs. off your appearance, but you will still age.

Anyway, I like NY because people are free to experiment with their own style. California has that cookie-cutter ideal, making so many people look like they are all part of some huge family. Some people end up looking empty and without character.

Old 06-26-2010, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Design7 View Post
For the life of me, I do not understand the fixation on supermodels. They are chosen because they make the clothes look good, and that often means unnaturally thin body types so that clothes will drape on them in ways that do not represent normal body types. They are getting younger and skinnier by the day. Plus, the perfect faces you see in magazines are airbrushed and altered in ways that cannot be matched by people in the real world. That is not how most New Yorkers (and dare I say most people in general) look, nor should they be compared to such an unhealthy and unsustainable ideal. I have not seen such an intense fixation with the supermodel look as in our culture.
Yes, sometimes I think of them as ornaments and not people.

Old 06-26-2010, 11:07 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,834,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
A face lift may knock about 10 yrs. off your appearance, but you will still age.

Anyway, I like NY because people are free to experiment with their own style. California has that cookie-cutter ideal, making so many people look like they are all part of some huge family. Some people end up looking empty and without character.
I was referring more to Botox and the way it paralyzes parts of your face.

Old 06-26-2010, 11:09 AM

1 posts, read 2,588 times
I'm a transplant from Ohio and I was always drawn to NYC because it represented the ultimate urbane (not urban but that is obviously a reality that we have to acknowledge) and fashion capital of the USA. Well, a lot of the mystique is due in large to the wonderful advertising and marketing campaigns, outstanding film settings and glamorous iconic figures from history. Granted, I can find whatever I need to create an uber-sophisticated lifestyle and environment but there is a caveat. While one may live a fab life and personify that, one is ALWAYS having to deal with the harsh realities of urban living. There is very little middle ground. Sociological lines are clearly drawn and there is an ever-present antagonism. As I walk to my "coveted" job whereby the company is glamorous but the work isn't, dressed elegantly in designer clothing which generally includes an expensive handbag and shoes a la Sex and The City style, hair, nails and feet always done with impeccable makeup, I am met with odious glares. This wasn't what I expected. In Paris, Madrid, Barcelona, Vienna and Rome (and I have been to them all), beautiful women acknowledge each other approvingly and men look on favorably. It's a war zone in NYC. One might find shelter amid the jealous fueled storms with other similar acquaintances but when you step outside, it's not the glamorous enclave generally depicted. Whether it be the "pants to the ground" crew, tattoo crew, big hair holding on to the 80's crew, the Shenaenae and gold teeth crew, bohemian by default, etc, etc., there is something about "NY style" that infuriates them. I should have moved to Paris years ago. (BTW - I lived in LA for two years, but I really prefer NYC access to fashion and style.)

Old 06-27-2010, 01:35 AM

1,351 posts, read 2,901,118 times
i've lived in LA for over 12 years and moved to NYC not long ago.

anyone who thinks there aren't as many beautiful women in NYC as LA is probably nuts. there are just as many insanely hot girls here as in LA AND there are more of them, you see them often (because of the dense environment of the city), and there is a very large variety of them as well.

Old 06-27-2010, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
I was referring more to Botox and the way it paralyzes parts of your face.
Botox wears off. It puffs up the tissues to make wrinkles disappear but has to be reapplied periodically. After many treatments the sessions are spaced further apart and you require them less and less.

Old 06-28-2010, 02:45 PM

963 posts, read 2,302,097 times
More New York City Photos. On a sunny day the city can look mighty fine . . .

http://stylepeterson.com/new-york/new-york-times-building.jpg (broken link)

http://stylepeterson.com/new-york/port-authority-1.jpg (broken link)

Old 06-29-2010, 02:02 PM

119 posts, read 354,743 times
Can you really claim that your city is home to the most beautiful people when most of the beautiful people have come from elsewhere? Most of the people that are well dressed and look great in L.A. and NYC have gone there from elsewhere looking for modeling and acting work. I'd say the average New Yorker or Los Angelan is just that -average.

The fact is, compared to natives of cities like Rome and Milan, the average American; including those from L.A. and NYC, are overweight and poorly dressed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City