Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 10:48 PM
grant516

n/a posts

Advertisements

Got ticketted for going thru the turnstyle with someone else, dodging a $2.25 fare, after the machine wouldn't read my card.

No attendant was present- but police were apparently watching via camera.

We both got $100 dollar fines, anyone with any experience in fighting or defraying some costs of this kind of ticket.

Seems unfair, every time MTA hardware fails I don't get to fine them. :\

I'm not sure why both people get a fine for fare evasion either, considering one fare WAS paid.

Any input would be welcomed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2010, 07:26 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,374,651 times
My advice: Pay your fare!

Old 06-25-2010, 07:39 AM

142 posts, read 418,698 times
Don't you have a court date? Go to court and tell them what happened.

Old 06-25-2010, 07:40 AM

316 posts, read 989,585 times
Next time your card doesn't work, have your friend swipe their card twice: once for him/her, once for you.

Old 06-25-2010, 07:56 AM

412 posts, read 1,327,050 times
You got a ticket because two of you entered on a one person fare.

Your friend got a ticket for allowing you to go in with her/him.

Basically like one poster said your friend should've swiped her card twice and yall go in seperately.

You're basically not going to get off, just pay the fine and the next time you take the subway Pay your fare.

Old 06-25-2010, 10:32 AM
grant516

n/a posts
Still worth contesting. Don't know if NYC courts ever reduce fines.

Old 06-25-2010, 10:56 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,893,724 times
Or if you're card is not working get a Single Ride Ticket from the Metrocard machine would be another option....

I suggest if your card is old to get it swapped out once you enter/exit a station with a clerk....I know what a PIA it can be to have to swipe numorous times.

Old 06-25-2010, 04:44 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,005,792 times
What the police did in issuing summonses to EACH of you is correcdt..it isnt liek your friend paid his full fare and u paid nothing..it is considered liek each of you got in for 1/2 fare...

Plead not guilty...when u go to their transit court...it used ot be in jay street..i think they moved it now....when u go to court tell them why u did it....im telling you this just to try,,,but i must warn you..these days..the MTA wants their money and they will nickel and dime everyone so that they can get their money..their Transit Adjusication Bureau is a kangaroo court..since what u got is a civil summons probably...so good luck

Old 06-25-2010, 07:15 PM

684 posts, read 1,819,904 times
If your in that situation again..next time go and get a metrocard and pay that fare but HOLD ON to your metrocard that you swiped. When you get to a station with an agent ask for the envelope to send your card back..then you could have probably got your 2.25$ back. Worst case scenario they dont give it back and you lose out on 2.25$..but that sounds better then 100$ !

Last edited by JKid84NYC; 06-25-2010 at 08:05 PM..

Old 06-25-2010, 07:41 PM

34,080 posts, read 47,278,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant516 View Post
Got ticketted for going thru the turnstyle with someone else, dodging a $2.25 fare, after the machine wouldn't read my card.

No attendant was present- but police were apparently watching via camera.

We both got $100 dollar fines, anyone with any experience in fighting or defraying some costs of this kind of ticket.

Seems unfair, every time MTA hardware fails I don't get to fine them. :\

I'm not sure why both people get a fine for fare evasion either, considering one fare WAS paid.

Any input would be welcomed.
geez...the first (and last) time that happened to me i think was 14....thats why i dont go anywhere unless i have money anything can happen man and these cops are thirsty to give you tickets. they will not hold court with you on the street always remember that. their job is only to give tickets or arrest you.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City