Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 11:18 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,162,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
When was the last time you had a look at Times Square? Because Times Square in 2010 is barely even in the same universe as Times Square in 1975. These days, it's more like you probably couldn't afford to live there!
I'm not sure he's talking about Times Square being filled with prostitution and vice-- more like just crazy amounts of tourists and crappy souvenirs, vendors hawking wares, chain stores, way overcrowded sidewalks. It may be cleaned of vice, but it's still full of crap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2010, 12:35 PM

14 posts, read 30,837 times
yes, henna is right. its more the super commercial, congested, touristy vibe that i dont like about the time square area. with a $2500 budget and hopefully a 1 bedroom (or large studio), can you guys recommend some neighborhoods to live in manhattan that would be a relatively easy commute on the 7 train?

still kind of torn between the ease of living in queens to commute to work, and being closer to friends in manhattan...

Old 06-27-2010, 02:47 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,359,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmetsfan View Post
yes, henna is right. its more the super commercial, congested, touristy vibe that i dont like about the time square area. with a $2500 budget and hopefully a 1 bedroom (or large studio), can you guys recommend some neighborhoods to live in manhattan that would be a relatively easy commute on the 7 train?

still kind of torn between the ease of living in queens to commute to work, and being closer to friends in manhattan...
Try Murray Hill and Kips Bay (east side neighborhoods from 23rd - 42nd Sts). There are apts in your price/size range in today's New York Times. I suggest that you visit the areas we've suggested and also take a ride on the train to test your commute to make up your mind. IMO being in Queens won't keep you from your friends.

It is possible to be closer to a point in Manhattan from Queens, Brooklyn or The Bronx than two points on the island of Manhattan. I suggest you get a map to have a true picture of where you'll be working, your prospective neighborhood choices and where you might be visiting friends.

Good Luck!

Old 06-27-2010, 03:46 PM

142 posts, read 505,573 times
I did a reverse commute from Manhattan to Jersey City for years and it was awesome - I was always going the opposite way of rush hour, so I could always get a seat!

Old 06-27-2010, 03:47 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,267,080 times
Unless your getting some sort of hookup in Manhattan for your living arrangements I don't see the point. Your much better off living in Queens.

Old 06-27-2010, 04:45 PM

for those of you who are suggesting to live in queens, can you give me an idea of the neighborhoods convenient to both manhattan and citifield in the $2000 budget (assuming i can shave at least $500 off of my manhattan budget)?

i plan on checking out some apartments in the area soon. are chelsea/gramercy/flat iron good neighborhoods too for ease of commute?

THANKS!

Old 06-27-2010, 04:53 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,359,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmetsfan View Post
for those of you who are suggesting to live in queens, can you give me an idea of the neighborhoods convenient to both manhattan and citifield in the $2000 budget (assuming i can shave at least $500 off of my manhattan budget)?

i plan on checking out some apartments in the area soon. are chelsea/gramercy/flat iron good neighborhoods too for ease of commute?

THANKS!
Go back in the thread. There are several suggested along the 7 train route.

Old 06-28-2010, 11:08 AM

541 posts, read 1,903,976 times
For your budget I would look at Long Island City. It is only one or two stops from Manhattan (depending on which stop) and it is on the 7. LIC has a lot of new condos with great views of the city and is somewhat "up and coming". For 2500 in LIC you could get a 700-900 sq ft 1 bedroom with possibly your own washer and dryer in a doorman building.

Old 06-28-2010, 09:19 PM

mstant, yes i dont understand why washer and dryer in your unit is such a rarity in manhattan, so that definitely sways me to queens more.

i thought $2500 would be a decent amount for manhattan for a small-ish place in a good location?

Old 06-29-2010, 10:07 AM

541 posts, read 1,903,976 times
For $2500 you could probably find something in Murray Hill, but in an older building with less amenities. Its all about luck. People find great finds all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: