Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 06:22 PM

10 posts, read 14,385 times

Advertisements

Greetings,

Well I'm a new here so I'll try to briefly introduce myself... (not that anyone cares, anyway)

I'm a 21 years old Greek guy currently living in Amsterdam for almost 2 years now... I've studied software engineering (game designer).

So the thing is that I'm kinda tired of Amsterdam, in a nice way though. Okay the city is fantastic, it's beautiful and the dutch girls are just amazing... but it's crazy. I can't stand it anymore, especially in summer time it's all about partying getting wasted and stuff. So I was thinking about trying US, maybe cities like NY, Miami or Chicago. Do you think it's a good deal? Is it easy to get a job in any of these cities and generally hows lifestyle there? I never been to US before so do you think I might encounter problems there, I mean as a foreigner?

Also no offense but I hope the mentality of Americans over there is not the same with the ones I met in Amsterdam. Most of them were like selfish unintelligent apes... no kidding, you couldn't even have a proper conversation with them about general stuff unless it was about how great they are and how great their country is and that they gonna "own" the rest of the world lol. Also a funny one, I remember once I met a girl and we were just talking about travelling and stuff... so I came to the point where I mentioned that I've been to Oslo and she was like "wtf is that" I said it's the capital of Norway and she replied back "Norway is that in Europe? I thought it was in middle east". Anyway as I said don't take it too hard, I was not intending to offense anyone here and of course I have no prob with Americans generally. Was just sharing some experience...

PS: You did quite well in football... to be honest I was not expecting you to qualify. Good job
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2010, 07:19 PM

218 posts, read 741,447 times
Well, in terms of NYC, there is a sizable Greek community in Astoria, Queens. But it makes no difference in NYC... literally every culture on the planet can be found there to one degree or another. I myself am Greek.

Old 06-27-2010, 09:42 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,597,244 times
Should you move to New York? Yes! (I may possibly be biased in this, but I'm always in favor of such moves. Had you specified Brooklyn, that would've merited an extra thumbs up).

Can you manage it? That's a completely different question.

Old 06-27-2010, 10:26 AM

244 posts, read 664,661 times
It's a nasty, loud, congested, rat and roach infested jungle. No

Old 06-27-2010, 11:00 AM

917 posts, read 2,947,925 times
How are you going to work? Do you have a work visa? It's a pretty lousy place if you can't make any money, but a lot of fun if you can.

Old 06-28-2010, 06:46 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,597,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StinaTado View Post
How are you going to work? Do you have a work visa? It's a pretty lousy place if you can't make any money, but a lot of fun if you can.
Seconded! But I'll tell you a little story: I once had a coworker who suddenly quit, for no other reason than she was unhappy at work. She didn't have anything else lined up--she just suddenly announced one day that she was outta there! Apparently, there are people in the world who are light enough of spirit that they can do such things. "Oh, I think I'd like to move to New York." Not a thought to the realities of managing in this town. I wish I could live my life that way.

Old 06-28-2010, 07:11 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,073,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
......Apparently, there are people in the world who are light enough of spirit that they can do such things. "Oh, I think I'd like to move to New York." Not a thought to the realities of managing in this town. I wish I could live my life that way.
And many of them,if not most,manage quite well somehow.I have also witnessed this kind of thing many times over the years.Often,I secretly envy their freedom of spirit .

Old 06-28-2010, 01:38 PM

56 posts, read 124,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X
......Apparently, there are people in the world who are light enough of spirit that they can do such things. "Oh, I think I'd like to move to New York." Not a thought to the realities of managing in this town. I wish I could live my life that way.
And many of them,if not most,manage quite well somehow.I have also witnessed this kind of thing many times over the years.Often,I secretly envy their freedom of spirit .
Or their rich and rent-paying parents.

Old 06-28-2010, 03:19 PM
YBF

1,260 posts, read 3,358,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Seconded! But I'll tell you a little story: I once had a coworker who suddenly quit, for no other reason than she was unhappy at work. She didn't have anything else lined up--she just suddenly announced one day that she was outta there! Apparently, there are people in the world who are light enough of spirit that they can do such things. "Oh, I think I'd like to move to New York." Not a thought to the realities of managing in this town. I wish I could live my life that way.
LOL......me too!!!

OP if you have to ask then No!!!! Dont move to NY. NY is a hard place to live. The winters, the cost of living, the pace of life. If you dont have a drive and a passion to live in this city it will be hell!!!. What you see on TV and the reality of living in NYC may not be the same unless you are rich and then in that case the city is your oyster.

Old 06-29-2010, 11:42 AM

747 posts, read 2,758,687 times
Unless you have a work visa, your idea is pretty much a non-starter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City