Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 10:05 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,153,092 times

Advertisements

I wanted to make those that aren't aware of this aware. It is a major story that has been isolated by the NYPD to the Village Voice. I have not seen any major news source cover this at all and it is a bombshell type of story. It is the biggest revelation of wide spread corruption in NYPD since Serpico. The Village Voice has been covering it in installments for about a month and a half now. A former police officer was able to tape conversations with his supervisors and they are available at the village voice website. For those that have had ample suspicions about crime statistics this story proves that NYPD for about the past 8-10 years has been manipulating statistics and downgrading crimes. It also proves there such a thing as a summons quota. These are just several of the bombshells. I myself would usually argue against those who said crime stats were heavily manipulated but this story has converted me. This is major. Do yourselves a favor and get informed...

The NYPD Tapes: Inside Bed-Stuy's 81st Precinct - Page 1 - News - New York - Village Voice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2010, 10:31 AM

40,049 posts, read 34,466,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
I have not seen any major news source cover this at all and it is a bombshell type of story.
I am not passing judgement on those tapes; just making an observation in passing: there's usually a reason why a "bombshell type of story" is only covered by one source. And the fact that the tapes were released to the Voice and nobody else is not the reason.

Old 06-27-2010, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
I am not passing judgement on those tapes; just making an observation in passing: there's usually a reason why a "bombshell type of story" is only covered by one source. And the fact that the tapes were released to the Voice and nobody else is not the reason.
Sorry Fred but your being too cryptic for me. I don't know what your getting at but the articles and tapes are there, judge for yourself. They also have several interviews with former police officers who corroborate...

Old 06-27-2010, 11:14 AM

Think what you want to think about the article or the Voice, at the minimum the tapes offer an inside view into a typical NYPD precinct that you wouldn't get otherwise...

Old 06-27-2010, 11:28 AM

9,238 posts, read 23,966,138 times
I don't get the big hulla balloo about quotas.
I'm not sure there is anything wrong with them and they can raise the quotas in my precinct whenever they want.It doesn't make an arrest for some outstanding warrant or drug or weapons possession less valid because the stop was originally made by some cop trying to meet some quota.
Whatever the quotas may or may not be they should be higher.

Old 06-27-2010, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
I don't get the big hulla balloo about quotas.
I'm not sure there is anything wrong with them and they can raise the quotas in my precinct whenever they want.It doesn't make an arrest for some outstanding warrant or drug or weapons possession less valid because the stop was originally made by some cop trying to meet some quota.
Whatever the quotas may or may not be they should be higher.
You don't see a problem with cops purposefully looking to reach a quota at the end of the month? Especially if it's all for the sake of creating the illusion of high "activity" or police presence and low crime not really about actual law enforcement. The other thing is NYPD has always denied the use of quotas...

http://img.villagevoice.com/player/?i=4767510

Old 06-27-2010, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
You don't see a problem with cops purposefully looking to reach a quota at the end of the month? Especially if it's all for the sake of creating the illusion of high "activity" or enforcement and low crime. The other thing is NYPD has always denied the use of quotas...

The Village Voice : Audio Media Player
No,I see nothing wrong with it at all.Quotas are used as a measure of performance in almost every job in the world.You are expected to produce or "handle" a minimum number of whatever per hour/day/week/month.If everyone knows there are 1,000 lowlifes in a precinct who have outstanding warrants or 1,000 lowlifes walking around with weapons what's wrong with setting a goal to nab 100 or 200 of them per month?
Without quotas( or performance goals if you will) the cops could just sit around in their squad cars napping.

Old 06-27-2010, 11:47 AM

423 posts, read 1,276,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
No,I see nothing wrong with it at all.Quotas are used as a measure of performance in almost every job in the world.You are expected to produce or "handle" a minimum number of whatever per hour/day/week/month.If everyone knows there are 1,000 lowlifes in a precinct who have outstanding warrants or 1,000 lowlifes walking around with weapons what's wrong with setting a goal to nab 100 or 200 of them per month?
Without quotas( or performance goals if you will) the cops could just sit around in their squad cars napping.
There is a problem because they can just arrest people and give summonses for bs "crimes" and once they fill their quota they're done when they SHOULD be arresting said 1,000 lowlifes, they can take the easy way out and arrest someone for bs.

Example: My father bent his metrocard in his back pocket by accident, and he gets to 34st Herald Square to try to swipe to see if it works, and these two cops near the turnstyles tell him to go to them, they accuse him of "fraud" or fare beating or something like that and they arrest him and he had to go to bookings. My dad says he clearly heard them say "Yeah, we just need 1 more and we're done for the month" - presumably about their quotas

ANOTHER example: Me and my friend were at this schoolyard near my old elementary school where a bunch of kids from the neighborhood usually go to chill. Anyways, we're there just sitting down... my friend was smoking a CIGARETTE and these two undercovers came up and immediately put the handcuffs on me and my friend and picked up a leftover baggie from the floor and charged us with possession of marijuana, and once again I tried to reason with one of the undercovers and told him the story and he felt bad I guess and asked his partner "Do we really need two?" and the guy said "Yeah" and he just looked at me and shrugged and they took us down to the precinct. They did however get yelled at by their superiors for arresting me and my friend (17 at the time) for a BS reason.

Old 06-27-2010, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andez View Post
There is a problem because they can just arrest people and give summonses for bs "crimes" and once they fill their quota they're done when they SHOULD be arresting said 1,000 lowlifes, they can take the easy way out and arrest someone for bs.

Example: My father bent his metrocard in his back pocket by accident, and he gets to 34st Herald Square to try to swipe to see if it works, and these two cops near the turnstyles tell him to go to them, they accuse him of "fraud" or fare beating or something like that and they arrest him and he had to go to bookings. My dad says he clearly heard them say "Yeah, we just need 1 more and we're done for the month" - presumably about their quotas

ANOTHER example: Me and my friend were at this schoolyard near my old elementary school where a bunch of kids from the neighborhood usually go to chill. Anyways, we're there just sitting down... my friend was smoking a CIGARETTE and these two undercovers came up and immediately put the handcuffs on me and my friend and picked up a leftover baggie from the floor and charged us with possession of marijuana, and once again I tried to reason with one of the undercovers and told him the story and he felt bad I guess and asked his partner "Do we really need two?" and the guy said "Yeah" and he just looked at me and shrugged and they took us down to the precinct. They did however get yelled at by their superiors for arresting me and my friend (17 at the time) for a BS reason.
Then they should raise the quotas and make it so the bs arrests don't count toward the quotas.

Your examples do not present an argument against quotas per say but against the way they are implemented.So raise the quotas and change the system a bit.Nothing wrong with quotas,just the way they are doing it.

Old 06-27-2010, 12:56 PM

4,947 posts, read 10,768,363 times
How can anybody dispute that tape?
HOLY *****
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City