Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 01:29 PM

1,085 posts, read 2,291,752 times

Advertisements

On the way home from work a week ago, there was a raccoon standing on the platform on the north end of Dyre Avenue Station - munching on something w/o a care in the world. The train doors opened and it ran away.

I've seen a couple of skunks in the neighborhoods at night (not exactly easy to spot).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2010, 06:41 PM

27 posts, read 90,113 times
The only place I've seen a raccoon is over in/around Brookville Park. But I wouldn't be surprised if there were more around...there was allegedly a coyote roaming around Rochdale/Springfield Gardens a few months back. There are places they could easily live in down here anyway (the larger parks and unkempt/abandoned grassy areas).

Old 06-29-2010, 07:14 PM

45 posts, read 184,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K 22 View Post
On the way home from work a week ago, there was a raccoon standing on the platform on the north end of Dyre Avenue Station - munching on something w/o a care in the world. The train doors opened and it ran away.

I've seen a couple of skunks in the neighborhoods at night (not exactly easy to spot).

Oh wow. I'm from around there. I've seen the raccoons late at night and in the early morning but never in the station. And I've never seen a skunk either. There are possums around there too. They're really ugly.

Old 06-29-2010, 07:56 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,955,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samyn on the green View Post
With all the death and destruction we have spread in this world I think it would be right to share our living spare with a few Raccoons. There are 8 million people in this city; are we so selfish that we can't make room for a few hundred Raccoons. They are more scared of you than you should be of them.
Oh gosh ,
Go hug a tree *points to tree*

Old 06-30-2010, 12:29 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,321,600 times
Yes, I remember we almost ran over one on on the Eastbound side of the Southern State Parkway (really Southwest Nassau).

I'm so used to everything being from Southeast Queens (the South Jamaica/Locust Manor/Springfield Gardens area). A waterbug (palmetto bug aka humongous roach) flew onto my face (on 2 occasions), hawks, coyotes, squirrels, stray pitbulls/rottweilers (like seeing a loose lion/tiger lol), seagulls, pigeons, sparrows, stray cats, hornets, dragon flies, mosquitos, mice/rats, roaches, spiders, ants, maggots, "flocks" of gnats, possums, raccoons, loose cows (lol), etc.

I remember a large bird dropped a smaller bird on the hood of the car, it was a BANG but I don't think it'd be heavy enough to crack the window.

These things don't even scare me anymore.

Old 06-30-2010, 01:20 PM

1,919 posts, read 5,767,561 times
LOL!!!!!!!!! I don't mean to laugh at the original poster. but I found it funny that anyone would be afraid of a raccoon. She would be frighten for her life if she rode 30 miles east and saw deer, wild turkey, pheasants and fox that are common sightings east of Route 112.

Old 07-01-2010, 11:03 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
You don't have to go 30 miles east to find pheasants. Head over to the Gateway National Recreation Area. More pheasants than you can shake a stick at!

Isn't it amazing how people think that there wouldn't be any wildlife here just because it's a big city? If you take the A train out to the Rockaways, it passes through a wildlife preserve just before arriving at Broad Channel. What a strange sight--watching egrets nesting from a subway train!

New York City also happens to have one of the last remaining colonies of black squirrels, which have become extinct throughout most of the Northeast. And check this out: if you're wandering around Prospect Park at the right time of year, you can sometimes see ruby throated hummingbirds!

Old 07-02-2010, 01:37 AM

1,919 posts, read 5,767,561 times
There are still black squirrels in Toronto. When I first saw them I thought maybe the weather up there turned them that color. LOL! I was a kid on my first visit to Toronto.

Old 07-03-2010, 07:35 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,351,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
Yes, I remember we almost ran over one on on the Eastbound side of the Southern State Parkway (really Southwest Nassau).

I'm so used to everything being from Southeast Queens (the South Jamaica/Locust Manor/Springfield Gardens area). A waterbug (palmetto bug aka humongous roach) flew onto my face (on 2 occasions), hawks, coyotes, squirrels, stray pitbulls/rottweilers (like seeing a loose lion/tiger lol), seagulls, pigeons, sparrows, stray cats, hornets, dragon flies, mosquitos, mice/rats, roaches, spiders, ants, maggots, "flocks" of gnats, possums, raccoons, loose cows (lol), etc.

I remember a large bird dropped a smaller bird on the hood of the car, it was a BANG but I don't think it'd be heavy enough to crack the window.

These things don't even scare me anymore.
Loose COWS

Old 07-03-2010, 11:36 AM

1,138 posts, read 3,288,814 times
I saw a possum last night walking on the sidewalk in front of my house. Damn those things are ugly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City