Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2010, 04:14 AM

3 posts, read 4,134 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone I'm from Hawaii and am researching more on places to live and do my internship/grad school. What are the pros and cons to living in NY?? Can you compare it to other cities so I can get a feel.

Also, any comparison with your hometown. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2010, 04:38 AM

217 posts, read 921,428 times
No volcanoes and it's not as expensive as Hawaii. Make a visit!

Old 06-28-2010, 04:41 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,280,097 times
Compared with Hawaii, NYC has winter and a lot of noisy taxi cabs.

Old 06-28-2010, 06:37 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,592,281 times
Palm trees don't grow very well here. But it's OK--any time we want a coconut, we can pick one up at the supermarket!

(Seriously, though, Catnap...don't go by what people in other parts of the country say about NYC. Most of the trash talk is only based on hearsay).

Old 06-28-2010, 08:18 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,292,881 times
Aloha. I'm from Hawaii (Mid-Pac, '91). The geography and landscape are obviously very different, but I think New York and Honolulu are more similar than many people realize. Both are intensely multi-ethnic and multicultural. Both are densely packed cities crammed on to small islands. Both have a high cost of living, especially housing. Both have a lot of class tensions with very wealthy, often white, people in the center surrounded by a lot of non-white people on the periphery. Both have poorly regarded public school systems and many people attend private schools. Both attract domestic migrants with money, which often creates tensions with the locals. Both attract large numbers of tourists, which also creates tensions with the locals.

Also, both have a very strong sense of place. There's no place like New York, just are there's no place like Hawaii.

The biggest difference is pace. There is no "Hawaiian time" in New York. Everything is fast, extremely fast by Island standards, but most people get used to it.

Old 06-29-2010, 08:17 PM

127 posts, read 507,119 times
pros:
fun nightlife
people out at all times
great food choices
many choices of neighborhoods
usually safe
diverse
great public transit

cons:
overpriced
dirty
congested
lots of noise
easy to get lost

Old 07-02-2010, 01:15 AM

2 posts, read 3,499 times
Default Hawaii to NY!!

I moved to Hawaii a few years ago, from New York. It's been an amazing time, but I'll be moving back to Queens in a few months.

What I dislike about NY:
-The weather: If you move to NY, be prepared for the sticky summers. I've yet to experience true humidity here in HI. And of course, the cold winters on the East Coast..brrr.
-Long lines for EVERYTHING. I love in Hawaii how we can walk into a bar or restaurant with no wait. That usually doesn't happen in NY.
- Lack of *natural* beauty and 'dirtiness'. NY, with the skyline and buildings, is beautiful in its own right. But after living in Hawaii, I will miss the mountains, oceans, flowers, turtles, trees, etc. Also, the sheer amount of people in NY= trash/noise/rude ppl. Fact of life.
-Expensive: But, compared to Honolulu, groceries are cheaper in NY. Rental prices from Honolulu to NY is similar (if you move to Queens and some parts of Brooklyn).

What I love about NY:
- The pace! I actually miss the hustle and bustle of NY, esp. on the road. (too slow in Hawaii!)
- The diversity: Yeah, Hawaii is diverse in its own way (lotsa Asians). But NY just is special with so many cultures crammed in one city.
- The food: I'll miss the spam masubi and poke here in Hawaii. But the quality of restaurant food here in Hawaii is levels below NY.
- NY's neighborhoods. Each New York section has its own character with the different stores, bars, lounges, sights, etc. and that's what I'll always love about NY.
-Being anonymous. I like being able to walk around NY with tons of strangers around me. I guess it's the energy of NY, compared to the 'Aloha' spirit in Hawaii (which is also amazing)

I've met lots of people born here in Hawaii who can't wait to leave the island, because it's 'boring'. I laugh at them, b/c they tell me this while we are swimming in a clear blue ocean with Diamond Head off in the distance. Well, I can see their point, I suppose. I have lived in Philadelphia and Boston, which are nice cities too if you want a smaller feel and slower pace, but that comes with lower diversity.
I hope you are happy with your choice, wherever you decide to move!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City