Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 11:32 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,352,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
And I'll be the first to admit that Latinos and AA both have the same issues. That isn't disputable. All im saying is that AA are in general worse.
Maybe so. "Worse" is all relative, though.

The issues facing AAs and Caribbean blacks versus Latinos are different but they're both bad. I work with Latinos and have much respect for their struggle as immigrants. I am also profoundly aware of the issues facing the large undocumented population of Latinos here in NYC. I am AA, so I know that struggle having personally experienced all types of racial discrimination throughout my life. I don't think many people would choose to switch places with either group.

Last edited by queensgrl; 07-16-2010 at 11:34 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 07-16-2010, 11:42 AM

423 posts, read 1,280,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekitor View Post
Well it also seems that a lot of the Hispanic neighborhoods that have a lot of crime also have a significant black population. So it does seems that maybe crime is higher because blacks are present in that neighborhood as well?? Like if one of the Queens Hispanic neighborhoods or even Washington Heights had the same amount of blacks as the South Bronx or Bushwick, would crime go up? I think it will unfortunately. I think 'most' Blacks need to get away from the thuggish lifestyle so they can improve them selves and not bring neighborhoods down with them. I alway say that generation of kids listening to Rap/Hip Hop, especially black kids (since the music is predominantly black) does not help to shape them up to respectable adults.
Eh, I think the whole Hip-Hop argument is kinda weak... because even before Hip-Hop existed there was crime, and even more than present day back in the 70s/80s... and for your other points, Blacks do commit the highest percentage of crimes in the city... take that as you will.

Old 07-16-2010, 11:46 AM

5,720 posts, read 20,046,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekitor View Post
Well it also seems that a lot of the Hispanic neighborhoods that have a lot of crime also have a significant black population. So it does seems that maybe crime is higher because blacks are present in that neighborhood as well?? Like if one of the Queens Hispanic neighborhoods or even Washington Heights had the same amount of blacks as the South Bronx or Bushwick, would crime go up? I think it will unfortunately. I think 'most' Blacks need to get away from the thuggish lifestyle so they can improve them selves and not bring neighborhoods down with them. I alway say that generation of kids listening to Rap/Hip Hop, especially black kids (since the music is predominantly black) does not help to shape them up to respectable adults.
Exactly. Could not have said it better. The neighborhoods with extreme hispanic populations and that are less than 10% black are either average in crime or below average. Examples of these being Washington Heights, Inwood, Jackson Heights, and Corona. Increase the black population in Washington Heights to about 25% and you basically got University Heights and as a result instead of having 5 violent crimes per 1,000 people ..you now have 7 violent crimes per 1,000.

That is why many majority hispanic Bronx hoods have above average crime. Because in all of them there is a sizable black pop of 25% or up. This along with the fact that the majority of the crime that occurs in the US are from AA you can come to the conclusion that neighborhoods with higher black populations tend to have higher crime rates.

I will also add that it also depends on income levels. Blacks from southeast Queens with good income levels are harmless.

Old 07-16-2010, 11:49 AM

5,720 posts, read 20,046,413 times
If there were two neighborhoods and one of them was 100% Hispanic (of any kind) and the other was 100% black (or AA whichever) and they were similarly low in income....which would have the higher crime rate?

My money is on the morenos.

Old 07-16-2010, 11:50 AM

423 posts, read 1,280,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Exactly. Could not have said it better. The neighborhoods with extreme hispanic populations and that are less than 10% black are either average in crime or below average. Examples of these being Washington Heights, Inwood, Jackson Heights, and Corona. Increase the black population in Washington Heights to about 25% and you basically got University Heights and as a result instead of having 5 violent crimes per 1,000 people ..you now have 7 violent crimes per 1,000.

That is why many majority hispanic Bronx hoods have above average crime. Because in all of them there is a sizable black pop of 25% or up. This along with the fact that the majority of the crime that occurs in the US are from AA you can come to the conclusion that neighborhoods with higher black populations tend to have higher crime rates.

I will also add that it also depends on income levels. Blacks from southeast Queens with good income levels are harmless.
My neighborhood is mostly Mexican and Dominican immigrants (with Chinese immigrants in the eastern part and also a sizeable polish/eastern european population) and I think I'd say it has one of the lowest crime rates of any predominately hispanic neighborhood in the city...

That being said, there are some gangs... such as a good amount of mexican gangs and the trinitarios are here too... but I know their parents would be ashamed and angry at these kids if they knew what they were up to...smh.

Old 07-16-2010, 11:51 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,394,981 times
Closed for moderator review

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City