Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2010, 10:08 AM

963 posts, read 2,302,097 times

Advertisements

Greed is changing the face of New York City with astounding speed. All the current development seems to be focused on attracting affluent white collar tenants. The working class is being squeezed out of neighborhoods, unable to afford $3000 a month rent for 1 bedroom apartments. They are being pushed farther outside of New York into the Outerboroughs. Sadly, cost of living is becoming burdensome there as well. It may well be that we will soon stop thinking of New York as the most desirable city in the US. The quest for affordable housing is going to create another rising city with the complex personality and verve that made New York famous. New York City was made great due to its diversity and exciting ethnic influences, we are now fading in a rush to fill every neighborhood with the same people.

http://stylepeterson.com/wp-content/gallery/new-york-photo-gallery/soho-shopping-3.jpg (broken link)

http://stylepeterson.com/new-york/broadway.jpg (broken link)

Old 07-05-2010, 10:58 AM

461 posts, read 2,000,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Last time I drank Starbucks was two years ago while visiting North Carolina in a Charlotte suburb. I never drank starbucks here in NYC and probably never will I'll just drink my light and sweet from my local dellicatessen not bodega. I just laugh when I see people in this city hooked on starbucks like its the latest craze, running up and down the street and into subways with thier starbucks watching them get owned with the word FAIL when thier starbucks fall out of thier hand. Starbucks makes a mess of things in this city, and it has as much Calories as McDonalds big macs. Its not bad for the community but its bad for your health. Theres a good and bad to everything victor, you should know

I personally don´t like starbucks coffee. Prefer green mountain coffee..taste better. But my point about having a starbucks in a so-so neighborhood is that it attracts a more sophisticated crowd that dilutes or waters down the undesirable vibe of the neighborhood. Thats why I see nothing wrong with starbucks as it goes beyond selling coffee. Thats why I prefer having a starbucks on every corner over having a run down/ghetto looking bodega on every corner with thugs hanging out in front of it.

Old 07-05-2010, 11:04 AM

27,560 posts, read 28,652,113 times
I live in the DC area and go to NYC every so often to enjoy the city, especially Manhattan. I think it's a lot better than what it was 30 years ago.

Old 07-05-2010, 11:07 AM

461 posts, read 2,000,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I live in the DC area and go to NYC every so often to enjoy the city, especially Manhattan. I think it's a lot better than what it was 30 years ago.

I agree. And to be totally honest with you, its because of gentrification. People bash it but thats the force behind the change and I see nothing wrong with that.

Old 07-05-2010, 12:03 PM

161 posts, read 699,522 times
The people who this question should be asked to are the poor. From my experience working in low-income neighborhoods, their opinions are generally split. Some don't like the idea of businesses closing, real estate values rising, etc, etc. Others see their neighborhoods and city as becoming safer, better schools, etc etc (I've noticed a lot more lower income women, then men, like gentrification because they feel more comfortable with their kids being out and around the neighborhood). I think in general, the wealthy and middle class tend to like gentrification, while the lower income populations have mixed feelings.

Old 07-05-2010, 12:22 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,630,158 times
Most cities and towns across America are slowly but surely losing their identity. They all have the same big box stores, same fast food joints, same coffee houses. One looks like the other.

The blue collar workers of yesterday, along with all the family owned businesses they supported, are a thing of the past.

Old 07-05-2010, 02:07 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,353,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
The people who this question should be asked to are the poor. From my experience working in low-income neighborhoods, their opinions are generally split. Some don't like the idea of businesses closing, real estate values rising, etc, etc. Others see their neighborhoods and city as becoming safer, better schools, etc etc (I've noticed a lot more lower income women, then men, like gentrification because they feel more comfortable with their kids being out and around the neighborhood).
IMO, the folks who were born in the 80s, whose families were poor, living in the midst of crack and crime saw the worst and are now experiencing the improvements. Neighborhoods like ENY, Brownsville, SoBronx, South Jamaica, Far Rockaway and Arverne are nothing like what they used to be. So when people talk about crime vs. Duane Reade or Starbucks, keep it in perspective.

Poorer people who lived in the now gentrified parts of Astoria, LIC, Harlem, Williamsburg, Woodside, Sunnyside, Jackson Heights, and Fort Greene, for example, who somehow managed to stay despite increasing rents now live in safe, trendy areas. Even if you live in the projects in these neighborhoods, your situation has improved. They have benefit from the new "family friendly" amenities, such as green spaces, bike lanes, playgrounds, better schools, as well as bookstores, cafes, restaurants and bar/lounges.

Immigrants who come here in search of a new life and new opportunities benefit because it's a chance to improve themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
I think in general, the wealthy and middle class tend to like gentrification, while the lower income populations have mixed feelings.
Out-of-towners (i.e., hipsters) come to bask in the glow of life in NYC. I'm sure it's much more exciting than wherever they're from and for some, it offers career opportunities.

The wealthy ... nuff said.

IMO, the downside of the change is the disappearance of the middle class. In the 80s, the middle class areas suffered with spillover crime, meaning the overall crime rate in the City was up and you had more robberies, drug selling, etc., everywhere. Middle class homeowners were hitting retirement age and they left the City, along with several small businesses, and their 20-something aged kids left too.

Now rewind back to the early 70s in these same neighborhoods. You had good schools, affordable housing, low crime, kids playing in the street/backyard, moms & dads out on the front porch at night, the old deli, bakery, candy/5/10 cents store, etc.

Today, these same neighborhoods are unaffordable for your typical, young middle income family of four, with two spouses working (e.g., nurse/fireman), and kids in public schools. I understand the laws of supply and demand but find it hard to understand why a simple, three bedroom house in a two-fare zone neighborhood in Queens costs $1/2 a mil.

Maybe the lesson in all of this is to stay put if you own something. My folks bought in '68 for $23K, sold in '00 for about $175K. If they hadn't moved in 2000, they would have seen the value of their house double, and an overall improvement in the neighborhood. It's not what it was in the 70s but it's a far cry from what it was in the 80s.

Question for people who grew up in a middle class NYC neighborhood in the 70s -- Can you afford to buy your childhood home today?

Last edited by queensgrl; 07-05-2010 at 03:01 PM.. Reason: addition, typo

Old 07-05-2010, 02:23 PM

127 posts, read 507,174 times
these housing prices are ridiculous.
I am not going to pay $2000 for a decent apartment in a semi-decent neighborhood.
Im not going to pay 500k to live in bed-stuy.
or 1million to live in harlem.

Old 07-05-2010, 02:52 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,041,315 times
I really have to say that New York City has died a second time. First time was during the white flight and the turbulent 70 and 80s and now with the recent wave of Gentrification. THe gold days of NYC with Irish, Italians, Jews and Puerto Ricans, is a thing of the past, Harlem is no longer black while Bensonhurst is no longer Italian. I do have to say, its sad to see old nyc die, hopefully gentrifcation wont ruin this city. History is going to have to determine how gentrication effects the city like how the white flight affected nyc in the 70s and 80s. So far with Gentrification you have thousands of vacant condos and refurbished converted coops in rezoned niegborhoods of Mott Haven, Astoria, Long Island City, Williamsburg, Harlem,Chelsea, Greenpoint which is not good!

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 07-05-2010 at 03:04 PM..

Old 07-05-2010, 03:13 PM

499 posts, read 793,814 times
The only areas where the zoning had been changed from manufacturing to residential are parts of the Brooklyn and Queens waterfront.

Most neighborhoods where a lot of these condos were built were not rezoned. The zoning had been in place for decades, but only until the last decade did developers see it lucrative to develop luxury housing. Thanks to a safer more attractive city.

This administration has downzoned more neighborhoods than anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City