Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2010, 09:37 AM

11 posts, read 43,224 times

Advertisements

Hi all. So here's a question. I'm subletting an apartment from friends right now (technically illegally since it's not through a landlord, although the super is aware of who I am and the entire building is filled with rotating subletting students; in other words, no one's trying to evict me anytime soon).

I would like a NY driver's license and get rid of my Out-of-State one, not because I'm going to be driving but because there are times when I need to prove I am a NY resident and it's easier to have one. I plan on living here permanently, although I'll probably be subletting for the next year or two. I'll also be working and paying taxes here.

Can I get a license and put my current apartment's address on there? Or is there a potential legal issue, since I'm not on the lease?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2010, 10:50 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
You can certainly list your current address on your license. Then notify Motor Vehicles if and when it changes. (I did that; it's not necessary to have a new license issued unless you request it. You just want them to have your current address in their database when it comes time for renewal).

Old 07-01-2010, 12:20 PM

15,580 posts, read 15,650,878 times
Check to see what the DMV requires. They may ask for something like utility bills - are the utilities in your name?

Old 07-01-2010, 12:36 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,100,599 times
If you are required to have proof of tenancy/residency, ask for a receipt the next time you pay your rent to whomever.

Old 07-01-2010, 01:47 PM

Ok thanks so much. I just wasn't sure if there was a potential legal issue down the road... Again, I REALLY don't think eviction is in sight, however, if someone did drop by and I had to play the "visiting friend" card, I didn't know if having a license with the address would come back to bite me.

Old 07-02-2010, 08:48 AM

2,954 posts, read 12,300,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spressobean View Post
Hi all. So here's a question. I'm subletting an apartment from friends right now (technically illegally since it's not through a landlord, although the super is aware of who I am and the entire building is filled with rotating subletting students; in other words, no one's trying to evict me anytime soon).
I am not sure why you think this is a problem. The whole point of a "sublease" is that it's not through a landlord. The landlord leases to a tenant, who then subleases to a subtenant-you. The only issue would be if the original lease forbids subletting, but that would be a problem for the original tenants, not for you. The most that could happen is someone could tell you to leave because your residence there violates the original lease.

Old 07-02-2010, 11:21 AM

It's a co-op and nothing was cleared through the board, hence the "illegal" part. But yeah, worst case scenario I'd just leave.... The building's really old and again, full of students, so I doubt it will be a problem. Just making sure.

Old 07-18-2010, 03:23 PM

11 posts, read 55,662 times
Default Another tip...

...if you get one...be sure to have six points of IDs...they have a list there...and most importantly birth certification.

Been trying to get one for months and even though I have six points, they STILL won't let me get an ID.

FYI...

Old 07-18-2010, 03:48 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,809,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by holden125 View Post
I am not sure why you think this is a problem. The whole point of a "sublease" is that it's not through a landlord. The landlord leases to a tenant, who then subleases to a subtenant-you. The only issue would be if the original lease forbids subletting, but that would be a problem for the original tenants, not for you. The most that could happen is someone could tell you to leave because your residence there violates the original lease.
I wonder, is the person you are subletting from a friend or stranger? First, I would discuss the issue with him/her. Second, the above quote is why you need question much of what is posted to this forum.

Simply from your original post, I believe you are aware of the law----that the LL needs to be informed of your presence and ultimately permission must be granted in many cases. In any case, it is the law and the lease which governor your sublet.

A NYS license with your name and likeness upon it can, possibly, be used as proof----that the prime tenant has vacated and is profiteering by illegally subletting---probably resulting in eviction. It is a risk that, indeed, could come back to bite you.

Also, the well, everyone in the building is doing it defense----does not work!!! So, if for whatever reason the LL deemed it necessary to evict the prime tenant and have you removed----the circumstance with the rest of the tenants is irrelevant.

If in deed and fact, the LL has no problem with subletting, then simply why not see to that all your Ts are crossed and Is are dotted---then you'll have no worries.

Luck!

Old 07-18-2010, 03:55 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,809,216 times
Sorry, didn't catch the part about the apartment being a co-op. BIG difference.

JFYI, what occurs in circumstances like yours is this. Some owner wants to sell, finds a buyer, but no one will finance the purchase---because lenders, these days, most often require a high ratio of owner/renters. So, in order to make the building financiable---protecting their investments, boards will begin enforcing the by-laws, specifically, those regarding renters.

This also occurs when the building needs a loan in order make capital improvements.

Until such a day, you s/b find---but, be certain, that day will come.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City