Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 09:57 AM

747 posts, read 2,757,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by billermo View Post
Thanks very much... can you tell me, what exactly would be the legal repercussions?

And would I be able to seek damages for this if she somehow forces me out? What is a typical award or settlement in something like this?

thanks again, all this is very helpful
I'm pretty sure it's illegal, but I'm not sure what the damages are... hopefully this info exists somewhere on the 'net

Any updates on your dealings with your 'landlord'?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2010, 11:17 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,808,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billermo View Post
Thanks very much... can you tell me, what exactly would be the legal repercussions?

And would I be able to seek damages for this if she somehow forces me out? What is a typical award or settlement in something like this?

thanks again, all this is very helpful
Yes, you will be entitled to damages, provided the agreement has been broken.

The emails you have provided they contain the details of the agreement can be used as proof of your agreement. Your case will probably hinge on the contents of those emails.

The question for you is two fold, do you wish to risk the hassle of being evicted by the sublessor? Do you have things with you of any true or great value?

You can either move out or try and work it out. If you decide to move out, I would ask for any cost you incurred to move in originally, and any extra-ordinary cost to move out and find another place. The simple thing is to move into another sublet, then bring suit for the costs, including your time (which is worth something).

If you determine to stay put, and the sublessor attempts a self-eviction, then not only will she be liable for damages, but as an illegal eviction she'll be liable for treble damages.

I would advise her of the law as it applies to your circumstance, and of your intention in either case---then allow her to respond.

Your sublessor is probably a silly self-centered girl, who simply needs to be educated of her responsibilities and the consequences of failing to meet them.

BTW, ALWAYS get the agreement in writing!!!!!!!

Old 07-10-2010, 05:38 AM

67 posts, read 221,516 times
Yes, I was living at an apartment in Nashville at 7241 highway 70 south, apt 119, and the woman tried the same grimy thing with me. I told her that I would take the legal amount of time to move out since she was breaking our agreement by asking me to leave two months earlier due to her own selfish needs. I was going to move anyway because the apartment was horrible and overpriced but always intended to honor my agreement.

Take lots of photos before you leave because you can't trust people like that. They can make up stories and try to sue you for phony damages. Also, just be firm and tell her that she made an agreement and you need time to find a better place. By law, you have at least 30 days to move.

You will find a better place. I did. I am so much happier now and I've learned a lesson--get a signed lease with a legit apartment complex. Don't sublet. In the long run you will be happier. Trust me. That woman did me a favor. I've got a much better apartment and a signed lease.

And don't forget--karma goes around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City