Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 12:59 AM

744 posts, read 1,846,854 times

Advertisements

Does the NBA know that NYC is in New York??

Yes the NFL teams New York Giants and New York Jets are in New Jersey but they are named after New York City. Some city's NFL teams are in the suburbs, like the Dallas Cowboys in Arlington, the Washington Redskins in Landover, Maryland and the Miami Dolphins in Miami Lakes. There is no New Jersey City.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2010, 02:23 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,840,807 times
Actually we just call them the Jets and Gaints now. Although that varies. But people in this state are getting tired of that and i'm sure later this decade it will change to the Jersey Jets or Gaints. The Nets stink , NYC can have them..... Theres a New Jersey City University in Jersey City. I think eventually my state will get a Major League Baseball and Basketball team separate form NYC or Philly. Although i feel bad how eminent Domain was used to make way for the new Arena it sickens me.

Old 07-03-2010, 05:41 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,586,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
The Nets stink , NYC can have them.....
I couldn't help but notice the grin. Grin away! Things change, and the team that's lousy now could easily be champions--n case you're not old enough to remember the Chicago Bulls before Michael Jordan came along.

Yes, if the Nets moved to Brooklyn right now, they'd be an embarrassment. But it wouldn't take long to change that. All that's necessary is a front office with a plan.

Old 07-03-2010, 06:37 AM

33,996 posts, read 47,230,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brajohns81 View Post
Does the NBA know that NYC is in New York??

Yes the NFL teams New York Giants and New York Jets are in New Jersey but they are named after New York City. Some city's NFL teams are in the suburbs, like the Dallas Cowboys in Arlington, the Washington Redskins in Landover, Maryland and the Miami Dolphins in Miami Lakes. There is no New Jersey City.
You realize that the team is going to be renamed the Brooklyn Nets, right?

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-03-2010, 04:35 PM

69 posts, read 119,296 times
If I had my way, I'd move the Nets to Newark and stop the Barclays Center from being built. We don't need it and Newark could use something like the Nets to help the city as a revenue sourc. Plus, I like Cory Booker, the mayor.

I'd probably only support Atlantic Yards if they also brought back the Dodgers.

Old 07-03-2010, 07:01 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,958,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue387 View Post
If I had my way, I'd move the Nets to Newark and stop the Barclays Center from being built. We don't need it and Newark could use something like the Nets to help the city as a revenue sourc. Plus, I like Cory Booker, the mayor.

I'd probably only support Atlantic Yards if they also brought back the Dodgers.
Rep points for you sir..................

The Nets moving to BK was just a caveat for Ratner's land grab in that borough. The shady & unsavory dealings that transpired in the acquisition of land should put enough bad karma on that team so that they stink well into the 2050's.
Fred is letting his NY ego get in front of logic & rational. It's a black spot on NYC. Ratner is running roughshod over the people of Brooklyn & using the Nets as a pacifier. His acquisition of the Nets was NEVER about the team. It was always about building a massive amount of bland silver towers around the arena. I've been to his ugly Atlantic Mall, enough said.
The whole episode is disgusting enough to make me cheer for the Knicks (when they play the Nets that is).

At this point, I only hope the Nets continue to hemorrhage money at a robust & steady pace. The Pru Center will get their money for hosting the team for a few years & will showcase the arena & city for future NBA considerations (iffy, but we'll see).

Old 07-05-2010, 08:30 AM

684 posts, read 1,818,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
You realize that the team is going to be renamed the Brooklyn Nets, right?
LMAO !! Seriously..

Old 07-13-2010, 08:18 PM

195 posts, read 395,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKid84NYC View Post
LMAO !! Seriously..
Wrong, you watch, they are going to change the name when the team moves to BK, when Newark gets a new team they will call them the Nets, trust me this Is insider information you can take it to the bank.

Old 07-13-2010, 09:42 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,031,197 times
That sucks for jersey. The only sports team that's left too oficially rock new jersery is the franchise team of the nhl nj devils. Oh well. All we need is for the nfl giants to come back to the bronx and the jets to go back to queens.

Old 07-14-2010, 06:48 AM

1,915 posts, read 7,982,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newarkboy View Post
Wrong, you watch, they are going to change the name when the team moves to BK, when Newark gets a new team they will call them the Nets, trust me this Is insider information you can take it to the bank.
Um, no, it's not insider information. The plan is to change them to the Brooklyn Nets. If they were going to change the name... they would've advertised it, because that's what teams typically do.. they wouldn't advertise them as the "Brooklyn Nets" if that's not what they're going to be.

That aside, I really don't see what the point of this topic is... the original post doesn't really make much sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City