Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 07:48 PM

18,507 posts, read 31,734,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Nightcrawler, I hope you come to the city-data meetup...should be fun with you there!

Only if you promise to sit next to me, so we can gossip about certain posters ***wink, wink****
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2012, 07:54 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,412,911 times
Lol...will do!

Old 06-01-2012, 10:05 AM

1,775 posts, read 3,792,271 times
theres a city-data meet up? When and where?????

Old 06-01-2012, 11:35 AM

It's in another thread.

Old 07-11-2012, 11:44 AM

2 posts, read 1,897 times
Default Wrap-up and don't hate the stable dwellers!

Just wondering what happened. We're in the same boat! This just in: [url]http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/08/realestate/rent-stabilized-apartments-ever-more-elusive.html?pagewanted=all[/url]

Also - a note to all the stabilized haters : Many of us moved here 20 years ago, either when the rest of you were not yet born or too afraid. The creative, vibrant scene that happened is BECAUSE of us - and rent stabilization made that POSSIBLE for you. We created homes here back when junkies were passed out in the hallways and have lived in walk-ups for decades - so yes - the laws on our behalf are fair and buyouts exist because they are fair too. Once reno'd, a landlord makes their money back and then some on our homes. If I ever leave, my landlord will make his buyout back in two years and is able to charge 4 times what I pay. Don't feel sorry for the landlord, or hate the buy-out process, instead THANK the stabilized dwellers for making this city somewhere that you want to live in the first place!

Old 07-11-2012, 12:42 PM

Lilly232: Let's bring this all back to reality. There was nothing noble about what you did...you were doing the same thing everyone else does..LIVE SOMEWHERE THEY CAN AFFORD. I am doing the same thing, as are hundreds of thousands of other NYers living in higher crime, lower -income community....yet they are not busy demanding the credit.

You did not do any favors for anyone but yourself...you lived in a horrible place because that's what you could afford...welcome to adulthood in NYC! As for rent stabilization, it is one of the reasons why you HAD to live in those types of conditions, it limits the supply, increasing prices for everyone else artificially and keeps neighborhood stale, stagnant and oftentimes ghetto because people can't/won't leave. Why would a LL renovate and invest huge amounts only to get the same paultry rents, or impossible to get out lousy/dead beat tenants = dilapidated buildings and bad nabes. Thank you rent stabilization!

So thank rent stabilization for making you live in a horrible apt...but don't expect any credit from me because you lived somewhere you could afford. Get over yourself.

Old 07-11-2012, 12:51 PM

4,947 posts, read 10,834,879 times
This old rag keeps rearing it's ugly head.
Oh boy.....

Old 07-11-2012, 02:00 PM

18,507 posts, read 31,734,189 times
Quote:
Lilly232: Let's bring this all back to reality. There was nothing noble about what you did...you were doing the same thing everyone else does..LIVE SOMEWHERE THEY CAN AFFORD. I am doing the same thing, as are hundreds of thousands of other NYers living in higher crime, lower -income community....yet they are not busy demanding the credit.

You did not do any favors for anyone but yourself...you lived in a horrible place because that's what you could afford...welcome to adulthood in NYC! As for rent stabilization, it is one of the reasons why you HAD to live in those types of conditions, it limits the supply, increasing prices for everyone else artificially and keeps neighborhood stale, stagnant and oftentimes ghetto because people can't/won't leave. Why would a LL renovate and invest huge amounts only to get the same paultry rents, or impossible to get out lousy/dead beat tenants = dilapidated buildings and bad nabes. Thank you rent stabilization!

So thank rent stabilization for making you live in a horrible apt...but don't expect any credit from me because you lived somewhere you could afford. Get over yourself.

seriously, I live in bath beach, because that is what my paycheck allows. but i really want to live in Cobble Hill.

I have to agree with Soboro's on this one.....( and we never agree, said with love though)

I say get rid of control and stabilization once and for all.

Old 07-11-2012, 02:16 PM

136 posts, read 193,784 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
seriously, I live in bath beach, because that is what my paycheck allows. but i really want to live in Cobble Hill.

I have to agree with Soboro's on this one.....( and we never agree, said with love though)

I say get rid of control and stabilization once and for all.
I totally agree with both Sobro and nightcrawler.
Rent controls squeeze the supply of apartments, raise market rents, and are an ENORMOUS burden on the tax payers. On this, housing economists agree across the political spectrum.

It survives only because it's a political animal. It should have been done away with many decades ago.

Old 07-11-2012, 04:15 PM

107,100 posts, read 109,424,019 times
yawn!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City