Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 03:40 PM

979 posts, read 4,459,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamontnow View Post
I'm not surprised at your lack of ethics and greediness......as you said, when it comes to your wallet, anything goes....
What's sickening is that there are others here who advise you on how to come up with a better trick and improve your scheming.

It's disgusting. And it's yet another indication of how sick the system is.
Excuse me, but the person who originated the scheming is non other then the landlord. He stands to benefit quite well by using a loophole and deregulating the apartment. Unlike others who chronically play the the victim this landlord is being proactive and taking the initiative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2010, 03:44 PM

32 posts, read 69,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
When is your lease up for renewal again?
Our 2 year lease is up early 2011.
I'm a little weary about putting my cards on the table like that. I kinda thought it would be best for me to wait til they got annoyed with my constant complaints then offer me money.
The repairs that need to be done in this apt is gonna cost them quite a pretty penny-I just hope the demand for this apt is going to be there.
Thanks for your advice by the way.
No---I'm not entitled to anything-----but like u said---since they offered.....

Old 07-04-2010, 04:03 PM

979 posts, read 4,459,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington22 View Post
Greetings!

--Last time I asked this the topic was locked---but I'd still like some feedback--

I know this topic has brought up before here but I simply cannot find the info I'm looking for.
I live in a TINY 180 square foot apt in the village.
My wife and I have lived here for 20 years.
It's a rent stabilized apt (under 800$/monthly). Those that aren't pay $2000+.
The landlord offered us $25,000 last year not to renew our lease but we said no.
We are in the process of buying a home out of state and would like for them to buy us out now.
How do I do it?
I know if they find out we are leaving they wont give us anything.
Thanks for any help you can offer.
They made the first offer. You're obligated to counter, in good faith, at this point, and give no explanation. Ask for, I don't know 50K? See what comes back before you start on a scorched earth policy.

Old 07-04-2010, 04:46 PM

1,263 posts, read 2,333,038 times
Quote:
The landlord OFFERED me the money.
I said no.
Now I want to say yes.
What's the big deal?
THEY OFFERED.
How do u not understand that?
THEY OFFERED.
You've been ripping off the owner and the previous owners for 20 years! Who gave you the moral or ethical right to live there at less than half the rent of your neighbors with the same apartment? The political hacks who will do anything to keep their jobs gave you the legal right. It's unethical.
AND NOW YOU WANT A BIG GOOD-BYE KISS??!
Yes, they offered (which is in itself a sad reality). But it was a good faith offer, meaning that it was based on the assumption that you were not planning to move. Their assumption was correct and you rejected the offer with no counter. The basis for their offer, that you have no plan to move, no longer exists. A counter-offer now would be obviously dishonest.

Look, the bottom line is that the rent stabilization code was never meant to create situations resulting in payoffs, and huge ones at that. It's a gross example of how the system is perverted.
You should be ashamed of yourself.

Last edited by lamontnow; 07-04-2010 at 05:12 PM..

Old 07-04-2010, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamontnow View Post
you rejected the offer with no counter. The basis for their offer, that you have no plan to move, no longer exists. A counter-offer now would be obviously dishonest.
What????????????????????????????
Dishonest?
You better believe it!
I really don't wanna get into the morals of this with you.
If you can't help me please don't disrupt this thread with your unwanted opinion.
Your not going to change anything with your "perfect-world" imagination.
So please do not post anything here anymore.
How many people in my situation would just walk away from whats GOING to be a a lot of money.
Actually---I don't care how many would or wouldn't, all I know is that I'M NOT.
Deal with it. This is NY.
Me first.

Old 07-04-2010, 08:22 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,477,382 times
Quote:
How many people in my situation would just walk away from whats GOING to be a a lot of money.

I will guarantee you, all the self-righteous, indignant people posting here about how "wrong" you are would GRAB that money in a hot second if they were in your position. The moment that LL offered 25K, they would be saying "give me 45K and I'll be out tomorrow morning". You can believe that. They talk a great game but, when reality sets in, they'd be all about the money!!!!

Old 07-04-2010, 09:20 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,149,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
I will guarantee you, all the self-righteous, indignant people posting here about how "wrong" you are would GRAB that money in a hot second if they were in your position. The moment that LL offered 25K, they would be saying "give me 45K and I'll be out tomorrow morning". You can believe that. They talk a great game but, when reality sets in, they'd be all about the money!!!!
There's something about this situation that has a different, distasteful feel to it than the situation you just described above.

If a landlord offers a rent-stabilized tenant money to move out, I would have no problem with that, and in the past on this forum I have even cited articles from the NY Times with some advice about lawyers, etc.

However, the situation changed dramatically when it became about the tenant approaching the landlord for the money. (If the situation had not changed dramatically, OP would not need to be on here starting more than one thread over a period of months asking for advice.) And sure, you can say - "but the landlord offered it first!" The fact is, the tenant did not take the offer at the time and this is a new situation where tenant has decided he wants to move out and is initiating this approach to the landlord to pay him to move.

Again, totally different than what you describe above, and I believe this is the reason why some people are reacting so vociferously. It's certainly why I feel a kind of disgust about what the OP is writing here.

Last edited by Henna; 07-04-2010 at 10:30 PM..

Old 07-04-2010, 11:46 PM

530 posts, read 1,131,756 times
Quote:
What????????????????????????????
Dishonest?
You better believe it!
I really don't wanna get into the morals of this with you.
If you can't help me please don't disrupt this thread with your unwanted opinion.
Your not going to change anything with your "perfect-world" imagination.
So please do not post anything here anymore.
Actually---I don't care how many would or wouldn't, all I know is that I'M NOT.
Deal with it. This is NY.
Me first.
Yeah what you are doing is MORALLY WRONG. Wait until you get your house with your wife. Karma has a funny way of coming around.

Old 07-05-2010, 06:26 AM

4,502 posts, read 13,477,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
There's something about this situation that has a different, distasteful feel to it than the situation you just described above.

If a landlord offers a rent-stabilized tenant money to move out, I would have no problem with that, and in the past on this forum I have even cited articles from the NY Times with some advice about lawyers, etc.

However, the situation changed dramatically when it became about the tenant approaching the landlord for the money. (If the situation had not changed dramatically, OP would not need to be on here starting more than one thread over a period of months asking for advice.) And sure, you can say - "but the landlord offered it first!" The fact is, the tenant did not take the offer at the time and this is a new situation where tenant has decided he wants to move out and is initiating this approach to the landlord to pay him to move.

Again, totally different than what you describe above, and I believe this is the reason why some people are reacting so vociferously. It's certainly why I feel a kind of disgust about what the OP is writing here.
\
I can assure you, the LL will make another offer upon the next lease renewal in early 2011. He's only paying $800/mo when the LL can get 2K/mo. Once the LL pays him to move out, he will paint the place, maybe change any cabinet facing, put in a new countertop, and call it "luxury" and get 2K or more for it.

Old 07-05-2010, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post

..."but the landlord offered it first!" The fact is, the tenant did not take the offer at the time and this is a new situation where tenant has decided he wants to move out and is initiating this approach to the landlord to pay him to move.
And what exactly is wrong with that?
No, I'm not going to tell them I'm moving and just leave without getting any money from them.
Am I not allowed to change my mind?
When they first offered, I wasn't prepared to move.
Now I am.
Let the negotiations begin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City