Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2012, 12:29 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,594,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhipster916 View Post
so if I move to NYC from Oklahoma, amke over 100,000 year and enjoy nice things and the arts im automaticlaly some horrible stuck up person?thats definetly not fair
No. It's a matter of attitude. Just like how a few bad cops make the entire police department look bad, a few stuck up yuppies and hipsters make it look bad for the ones that aren't.

I have no issues with most yuppies and hipsters that don't walk around as if they're better than everyone. I do have a problem with the ones who look down on anyone who was originally from here, assumes any area that isn't gentrified is full of thugs, and hates anything blue collar. The people who claim they are helping the economy but refuse to shop at the local stores that have been there for 20 and 30 years.

It's those with that type of mindset that make people hate them, plain and simple, which I admit is not fair. But then again, neither is lumping everyone else who is not a yuppie or a hipster as uneducated trash, as they tend to do. (And I've seen plenty of examples of it on this very forum by some posters on here before someone wants to argue this point with me).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2012, 09:10 PM

41 posts, read 69,465 times
I HATE yuppies and transplants, main reason: THEY'RE FAKE PEOPLE

Old 03-16-2012, 09:49 PM

2,517 posts, read 4,241,458 times
I love them because this improve neighborhoods by remove ghetto trash tenants that contribute to the social ills. The less ghetto people in NY, the better.

Old 03-17-2012, 01:08 AM

4,840 posts, read 9,875,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
I love them because this improve neighborhoods by remove ghetto trash tenants that contribute to the social ills. The less ghetto people in NY, the better.
Agreed.

Old 03-17-2012, 11:07 PM

16,265 posts, read 42,997,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsleftofbrooklyn View Post
Hi guys!

Before we do into this full throttle,

A little background on me. 29 years old, male, white, jewish/italian decent. Born and Raised, and currently live in Brooklyn New York.

I'm really having a hard time understanding why the majority of folks on this board and in real life that I encounter, truly dislke the yuppies.

Here me out on this. For starters, I am not a yuppie, but I have what some may call "yuppie traits"... I make over 100k a year, I have a house in literally the wealthiest part of brooklyn (not saying where), and I am well educated and successful in life. I appreciate the finer things in life, but they do not make me better than anyone here.

1. Yes the yuppies have a bit of a "nose in the air" attitude... Very true, they look down upon the rest, but if you are half way intelligent, they will treat you as equal. Let's face facts folks... we may not like their choices and lifestyles, but they are living the life.

2. Ok, yes They are a bit way into the whole artsy fartsy thing... I appreicate fine art, but I don't pop a boner when I see a painting or sculpture and I do not look down upon the rest if they cant, so call "appreciate the work." Still, who cares.

Those are truly my only two gripes with them, but I would rather have them around me, bringin up proerty value, having crime drop to 0% and actually affording my children the oppurutnity to get a "real education" in public school w/o having to worrya bout getting their lunch money taken away or beaten up, and rather then having to send them to private school (which is actually worse from a educational standpoint then public school.

I do visit park slope and the rest of that "section" of brooklyn, so I see them in action most of the times.

OK folks, so blast the cap open on this volcano. Please enlighten me on why they are so damn hated.
Thanks!
D
Maybe it's my own biases, but I just never met a yuppie who shared my same value system.

It's a conformity to a certain image, of liking a certain kind of shirt, a certain kind of restaurant, a certain kind of sport, etc. You are either a 'yuppie' or you aren't - and it's 100% based on your type of job, your income. It's exclusionary.

I prefer meeting people and finding things in common, and not having income/job status to define who I should or shouldn't get to know, and what I should and shouldn't like.

Old 03-18-2012, 01:27 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,014,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Maybe it's my own biases, but I just never met a yuppie who shared my same value system.

It's a conformity to a certain image, of liking a certain kind of shirt, a certain kind of restaurant, a certain kind of sport, etc. You are either a 'yuppie' or you aren't - and it's 100% based on your type of job, your income. It's exclusionary.

I prefer meeting people and finding things in common, and not having income/job status to define who I should or shouldn't get to know, and what I should and shouldn't like.
Isn't that the same thing, people like being around people they have things in common with, yuppie or not.

Old 03-18-2012, 12:52 PM

57 posts, read 128,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
Just because yuppies have money that doesn't mean they have class...you can be rich and still be an obnoxious jerk.....

Old 03-18-2012, 02:40 PM

260 posts, read 430,757 times
Many New Yorkers are angry with transplants because they fail to assimilate into New York culture and instead create their own "culture" which many New Yorkers find undesirable. Some transplants can be sanctimonious, obnoxious people that try to act like New Yorkers but fail in doing so. I personally don't mind transplants too much but I can see why people may dislike them.

Old 03-18-2012, 02:56 PM

2,517 posts, read 4,241,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn_Native View Post
Just because yuppies have money that doesn't mean they have class...you can be rich and still be an obnoxious jerk.....
Well I'll take an improved neighborhood of obnoxious yuppies who are aesthetically easier on the eye to look at than a ghetto neighborhood that looks run down, full of thugs, gangsters, hoodrats, and drug dealers. Because its exactly those neighborhoods that yuppies have moved into and improved. By not supporting yuppies, you are indirectly supporting the "hood" and all the social ills it brings to the community. There's no two ways about it.

Old 03-18-2012, 04:09 PM

169 posts, read 488,581 times
What about yuppies who move into blue-collar middle class neighborhoods....Astoria....and drive up home prices so much that an Astoria native can't afford to rent/own a home there????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City