Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 12:54 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,969,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snglmom View Post
I want to know if I am subletting from someone and the primary has moved out , the manager gave me 2 days to move and he waited until I went to work, and removed the locks and told my son and his girlfriend to get out, I never failed on the rent to my so called landlord, can the manager of the building get in trouble for doing what he did
Okay, you should contact a lawyer for this who does landlord/tenant cases.

But basically, can you prove that you have been staying there for more than 30 days? Bill payments, mail at this address, cleared checks from paying the rent, etc?

If so this is an illegal lockout. You could call the cops on the manager as well. No one can legally kick you out without taking you to court.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2013, 03:32 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,069,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sukisue22 View Post
My landlord has accused me of subletting my apartment. I have friends staying with me over the summer and they'll be watching my place for 2 months while I'm away on vacation and feeding my fish. Neither myself nor my friends have ever caused any problems. I explained to my landlord these "tenants" were just friends house sitting but they don't believe me and said they would "investigate" this further. They also said they wanted the dates i would be away in writing. Am I legally required to supply this? I feel it is an invasion of my privacy. Also Im afraid they will harass my friends while im away.
My lease ends Sept. 15th. I will not be renewing and the apartment is not rent controlled. What actions can they take against me?
NONE that will have any effect on you. (They can of course uselessly waste time and money trying to convince a judge that your house-sitters are subtenants.)
The best thing to tell a landlord is nothing, ever, under no circumstances. Send them the rent on time, sign a lease but other than that make believe they are on another planet...god knows, most of them ARE a different species.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City