Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 11:25 AM

6,836 posts, read 15,355,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
i will speak only on the west indian parade because its the parade ive been to the most (3-4 times). i have been to the yankees parade in '98, the giants in '08, and the halloween parade (can't remember which year).

the reson why the west indian day parade has turned into a mardi gras of sorts is due to the fact that it has turned into a representation of all the various carnivals that the different west indian nations have. when the parade was 1st organized, it wasnt even really a parade. It was just a bunch of west indians meeting up in lincoln terrace park during the late 60s - early 70s i believe in order to network among themselves, more like a gathering. over time the parade evolved into what you see it as today.

for many who are not west indian, at 1st glance the parade may appear as if nothing less than debauchery. but it is actually a representation of mental and physical freedom. at carnival in trinidad, women who will not give you the time of day will drink and dance with you at carnival like you were best friends. so the costumes, dancing and food is all about coming together and preserving the culture and attitudes, while in america. there is no secret that everybody comes to america for better economic opportunity, but i see no problem in retaining one's heritage.

of course there are exceptions to the rule, and people take it overboard with vulgar displays sometimes, but what event is perfect? i dont go anymore personally because sometimes it gets violent, and i dont like being in large crowds and not feeling safe. the police are a huge presence on eastern parkway, but they can only do so much.

if you think the west indian parade gets wild, you should check out some footage of carnaval in rio. they're actually nude in the streets (covered in body paint), just not in some skimpy costumes.

yea thats what i love about the west indian day parade people will all act like your best friend for that whole day. been going and participating in that parade since 2006 lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2010, 11:54 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,925,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
i will speak only on the west indian parade because its the parade ive been to the most (3-4 times). i have been to the yankees parade in '98, the giants in '08, and the halloween parade (can't remember which year).

the reson why the west indian day parade has turned into a mardi gras of sorts is due to the fact that it has turned into a representation of all the various carnivals that the different west indian nations have. when the parade was 1st organized, it wasnt even really a parade. It was just a bunch of west indians meeting up in lincoln terrace park during the late 60s - early 70s i believe in order to network among themselves, more like a gathering. over time the parade evolved into what you see it as today.

for many who are not west indian, at 1st glance the parade may appear as if nothing less than debauchery. but it is actually a representation of mental and physical freedom. at carnival in trinidad, women who will not give you the time of day will drink and dance with you at carnival like you were best friends. so the costumes, dancing and food is all about coming together and preserving the culture and attitudes, while in america. there is no secret that everybody comes to america for better economic opportunity, but i see no problem in retaining one's heritage.

of course there are exceptions to the rule, and people take it overboard with vulgar displays sometimes, but what event is perfect? i dont go anymore personally because sometimes it gets violent, and i dont like being in large crowds and not feeling safe. the police are a huge presence on eastern parkway, but they can only do so much.

if you think the west indian parade gets wild, you should check out some footage of carnaval in rio. they're actually nude in the streets (covered in body paint), just not in some skimpy costumes.
All this and it's not safe?
That's a shocker.

I really don't think such a public display serves any good purpose. Al a club, maybe, where people must make an effort to get there and know what to expect, but city streets should not be a place for such a sad display, in my book.

At any rate, thanks for explaining it to me a bit better. What's the next step to top this, floats with the actual act being performed? And how will that be topped?

I have a hard time thinking these girls the picture of demurity the next day at work. I have a feeling that decent West Indians just stay home during this display. If you had a young lady in your family you probably would not want her to be seen in that thing, no?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City